My New Solar Quick Release Tank Bag

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Since I started riding I have always thought that magnetic tank bags were not the best solution. I looked at the quick release bags offered by Bags Connection, but didn't like the looks of them and certainly didn't like the price. I did like the fact that you could electrify a tank bag through a Bags Connection tank ring.

Nelson Rigg came out with a Solar tank bag which had a solar panel on the top of the bag and a rechargeable battery inside that you could use to power an iPhone or the like which I thought was pretty good. I even bought one, but couldn't get the "Triple Threat" securing machanism to work so I returned it.

Fast forward to last month and I got an eMail from Motorcyclegear.com with a closeout on Nelson Rigg Magnetic mount Solar bags for $64.99 plus the Solar kit for $19.99. Sounded like a great deal a solar tank bag for less than $85 instead of $250. Being Scottish I went looking for a small something to add to the order to put it over the $89 free shipping threshold and found Cortech by Tour Master Dryver Tank Bag Mounting Ring Sets. This got me thinking.

So this weekend, armed just with a drill, assorted nuts and bolts, a piece of offcut plywood and My Scottish Financial sense I set about converting my magnetic mount Nelson Rigg Solar tank bag into a Quick Release one. Check out the pictures and see how it came out !!

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Since I started riding I have always thought that magnetic tank bags were not the best solution. I looked at the quick release bags offered by Bags Connection, but didn't like the looks of them and certainly didn't like the price. I did like the fact that you could electrify a tank bag through a Bags Connection tank ring.

Nelson Rigg came out with a Solar tank bag which had a solar panel on the top of the bag and a rechargeable battery inside that you could use to power an iPhone or the like which I thought was pretty good. I even bought one, but couldn't get the "Triple Threat" securing machanism to work so I returned it.

Fast forward to last month and I got an eMail from Motorcyclegear.com with a closeout on Nelson Rigg Magnetic mount Solar bags for $64.99 plus the Solar kit for $19.99. Sounded like a great deal a solar tank bag for less than $85 instead of $250. Being Scottish I went looking for a small something to add to the order to put it over the $89 free shipping threshold and found Cortech by Tour Master Dryver Tank Bag Mounting Ring Sets. This got me thinking.

So this weekend, armed just with a drill, assorted nuts and bolts, a piece of offcut plywood and My Scottish Financial sense I set about converting my magnetic mount Nelson Rigg Solar tank bag into a Quick Release one. Check out the pictures and see how it came out !!

Pretty cool!

I have the same bag and what I like about it is the ability to use it as a back pack too, since it has the shoulder straps there as well.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
The base (part with the plywood connected) unzips from the bag so I still have the use of the shoulder strap should I need it.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The base (part with the plywood connected) unzips from the bag so I still have the use of the shoulder strap should I need it.

Now, that is awesome sauce my man.

How heavy is the plywood?

Do you think it would be possible to make the base from something lighter but equally as firm?

Like a plexiglass/lexicon?

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Its only 1/4 ply so it's pretty light, but I would imagine that you could use any material that is stiff enough.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I cut off the flaps, which got rid of the side magnets and then removed the magnet from the front by cutting a slit on the inside of the base. They're stuck to my work table in the garage and are strong as hell.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I cut off the flaps, which got rid of the side magnets and then removed the magnet from the front by cutting a slit on the inside of the base. They're stuck to my work table in the garage and are strong as hell.

Damn, I wish I telepathically knew you were working on this.

I have also a second bag like this but only with the tail bag mount. I would have loved to switch mounts with you.