Tank Bag?

doctorhoda

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

Anybody have a recommendation on a tank bag for a 2007 FZ6? Magnetic vs Not? Size considerations? Looking to do a trip in the next few weeks and don't know much about tank bags.

I live near a toll road and use an EZ Pass unit. I heard that you can use this on a tank bag with a clear top? Any experience with this?

Thanks!

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

Anybody have a recommendation on a tank bag for a 2007 FZ6? Magnetic vs Not? Size considerations? Looking to do a trip in the next few weeks and don't know much about tank bags.

I live near a toll road and use an EZ Pass unit. I heard that you can use this on a tank bag with a clear top? Any experience with this?

Thanks!

I bought the SW-MOTECH TankBag. I like that the bag because it doesn't sit on the tank, but rather sits slight above the tank as it protects the paint. This is accomplished by a ring that you bolt on to the gas tank, and the bag clamps on to it. Also, it is really secure and doesn't move around.

Example of a bag.
SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection ION 3 Quick-Lock Tankbag - TwistedThrottle.ca

I didn't buy that one specifically, but it is one that is similar to mine. I am completely happy with it.

doctorhoda

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the SW-MOTECH TankBag. I like that the bag because it doesn't sit on the tank, but rather sits slight above the tank as it protects the paint. This is accomplished by a ring that you bolt on to the gas tank, and the bag clamps on to it. Also, it is really secure and doesn't move around.

Example of a bag.

I didn't buy that one specifically, but it is one that is similar to mine. I am completely happy with it.
Man summerb37... your bike is set up! Looks awesome!

How do you like the GIVI E41 Keyless side cases? That will be my next task is finding bags. I have seen a few great reviews and not so great reviews.

Newell33

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure how much capacity you're after, but I have a Joe Rocket Manta XL as shown in this link:

http://www.joerocket.com/Files/productImages/219/2921_Manta_XL_Tank_Bag.jpg

It's not real big, but I didn't want anything interfering with the handlebars. It's magnetic, and has a holder for my iPhone right on top. It also has a built in rain cover that unzips from a pocket on the front. It's big enough to fit a pair of shoes and maybe a t-shirt or so, but not much more. I like it because I can throw my breakfast in there, commute to work, and then take the bag inside and set it on my desk. It's perfect for what I need it for, but it may not be the best choice if it's the only storage you have.

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
Man summerb37... your bike is set up! Looks awesome!

How do you like the GIVI E41 Keyless side cases? That will be my next task is finding bags. I have seen a few great reviews and not so great reviews.

THanks

I like the GIVI E41 Keyless side cases for their capacity, but, unfortunately, I ran into problems with the combination locks from the start. Givi was great and sent a replacement lock for the first lock that gave me problems. Maybe a year later, the other lock started giving me problems, and now it doesn't work at all. The replacement lock still works though. However, I seldom use keyless entry and opening them up with the key is just as fast, if not better. Therefore, I would say they are great for capacity and buy them for that reason versus the keyless option.

Andyman

Reaction score
Visit site
Cortech Super 2.0 12/18 liter tank bag - Magnetic
Cortech Super 2.0 18-Liter Magnetic Tank Bag - RevZilla

I just took mine on a 2000 mile spontaneous road trip and it was fantastic.

Things I like:
* expands from a 12 liter to a 18 liter.
* Hidden backpack straps
* Hole for camelback.
* Magnets hold perfect, don't scratch. (even at highway speeds and spirited passing speeds)
* outer pockets are quick for wallet/microfiber cloth/shades to grab easily at a pit stop or even driving. I got good at pulling out a small cloth to wipe off bugs while driving without ever looking down.
* wasn't too big when I got "sporty". Even on the dragon!
Dragon_steal03.jpg

I mostly used mine for 'fast' access items. Wallet, shades, rain gear, liner, snacks, ect.

Things I don't like:
*Little Pricey - Retails around $140. I found mine on ebay for $110.

Honestly though it's worth the price. Great buy!
Hope that helps.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a magnetic tank bag, but I hardly use it since I have a 52L topcase and 21 and 46L sidecases.
Just make sure the tank and the bottom of the bag are clean before you put it on, and pull the magnets straight off when you remove it. There's definitely no issues with magnets not holding it securely at speed. The ones with the backpack straps are neat, mine doesn't have those.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I have two magnetic tank bags. A smaller 18l, that was free, and a larger expandable 30l that cost £35, both from the "Oxford 1st luggage" range.

They're both brilliant, can get loads in the big one. And the small one is great for days out. The only problem with the big one, is when it's fully extended you can't see the bottom of the dash (but can still read the speedo). The magnets can move around in their pockets to fit the contours of the tank, and are strong. You absolutely MUST give the base a wipe down with a wet cloth or sponge before you use it though, as any speck of dirt or grit WILL scratch your paint.

I've never had to pay a toll on a motorcycle though, so can't help there.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site

Example of a bag.

My hubby uses a Cortech bag with the same ring on the gas tank. The only draw back is you have to remove the tank bag to fill up - not big deal really. His has a map pocket on top that you could use for your EZ Pass

I have a tail pack on my Sprint. I like that it isn't in my way on the tank. I carry all the little essentials in it and it easily removes to take with me. It won't help with your EZPass though.

Last edited:

Serzedo

Reaction score
www.mototurismoadois.pt.vu
I have a Givi tank bag with foldable map/smartphone compartment for some years (since 2009) and it always worked perfectly, it's magnetic and never used the straps, with that bag and a backpack I was able to carry clothes for two and other electronic things (just get the heavier things on the tank).

"V"

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Adding to the list;
First Gear Oynx Expandable Tank Bag.
Firstgear Onyx Expandable Magnetic Tank Bag - Motorcycle Superstore

It does get cozy with the FZ1 bars...

Details:
  • RoadTex 1000 denier nylon with PVC coating and UV protection
  • Non-slip material on bottom with heavy-duty magnets
  • Clear map pocket with hook-and-loop closure
  • Adjustable shoulder straps for use as backpack
  • Convenient soft-grip carrying handle
  • Soft flannel lining to protect valuables
  • Mounting base can be used separately as a map holder
  • Reflective piping and logo
  • Reinforced sidewall
  • Zippered mesh pocket inside of the lid plus elastic penholders
  • Detachable key holder on inside
  • Rain cover and adjustable shoulder strap included
  • Additional safety bungee cord provided
  • Compressed: 14"L x 10"W x 8"H / 1,120 CI
  • Expanded: 14"L x 10"W x 11"H / 1540 CI

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
67073d1471282628-tank-bag-20160815_095632-1-jpg

67074d1471282628-tank-bag-20160814_140124r-jpg

This thing holds a ton of stuff! Works great albeit a tad spendy....
Only gripe is no pockets on the inside. Other than that, happy!

Adding to the list;
First Gear Oynx Expandable Tank Bag.
Firstgear Onyx Expandable Magnetic Tank Bag - Motorcycle Superstore

It does get cozy with the FZ1 bars...

Details:
  • RoadTex 1000 denier nylon with PVC coating and UV protection
  • Non-slip material on bottom with heavy-duty magnets
  • Clear map pocket with hook-and-loop closure
  • Adjustable shoulder straps for use as backpack
  • Convenient soft-grip carrying handle
  • Soft flannel lining to protect valuables
  • Mounting base can be used separately as a map holder