My New Ride, how does it compare?

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I sold the Fazer and planned to be without a bike for a little while.
I was hoping to upgrade eventually to a Triumph, but didn't know how long that would take. Triumphs are not easy to find in Utah.
So, just for fun, I started browsing Craigslist and other local places. Miraculously I found this little gem.
06 Triumph Speed Triple, 6K miles, with a Leo Vince CF exhaust and Power Commander and Clear Alternatives integrated rear tail light.
Not only did it have low miles, but when I took a look the tires had 2" chicken strips, the maintainance was documented, and she was garaged. Really could not have gotten any better. So, the next day I took her home.

Oh, here are some photos. First things to get done, remove stickers from the pipes (did it this morning) and new stalk signals in front (bought, in a box). I ordered new tires (Pilot Road 2), new air filter, new oil filter and Motul 300V oil.

Her first bath:
IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

I rode her a total of 150 miles so far, but with minimal twisty roads since everything is still pretty grimy. Hell, it's supposed to snow again tomorrow. :(
First thing that blew me away was the sheer brute power. This thing pulls like a beast from 2K to the 10K redline. All the push ofa V-twin with the pull of the inline 4. Unreal :eek:.
Handling is still to be evaluated as I really haven't had much of a chance to get on it, but initial impressions are great. Tip in is super fast due to the short wheelbase, and it certainly doesn't suffer from grip.
One thing that surprised me was how comfortable she is. The pegs are way higher and farther back than the Fazer, yet I am more upright and my back and wrists suffer less.
Wind is much more pronounced at 80+, and really can't cruise at such high speeds as I did in the Yami, but that's a good thing to me. Although the wind is stronger, there is no buffeting and no head bob. Very comfortable at speeds, with the wind having a much less pronounced effect from the sides.
What do I miss? Oddly this bike has a much smaller lock-to-lock bar swing. I almost dropped it in a tight maneuver because I expected the bars to keep going.
Brakes are incomparable. I was blown away from the sheer force of these things. I did a stoppie without full exertion, scary.
So, I hope to really get some miles on her this summer. I totally am more than happy with the bike and how it rides. I was really close to converting the Fazer into a Streetfighter, but this thing is just the bee's knees. Love it's styling and it rides like a dream.

Last edited:

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice. Is it a 1050? I don't remember if they had that motor out in '06 or not. I've heard those speed triples are great little bikes, very flickable, lots of fun. Looks good with the chopped tail, hope you don't plan to ride in the rain though...

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice one! :thumbup:

You'll love the amount of carbon fiber and aftermarket parts you can buy for her. There have been quite a few mods since this photo was taken in Jan :spank:

Here's a pick of my FZ6 and my hubby's Speed 3 - 2009 :D

I haven't ridden her yet - but I hope to be allowed to soon :D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great looking bike. It appears to be a very good buy. Love the Leos!

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice find, I can understand why you jumped on it. :BLAA:
That's about the only other bike besides my FZ that I would lust for..

Prebstar

FZ6 Maintenance Man
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike :rockon: welcome to the club. Bike looks in great condition, seems like you got a good deal :thumbup:

Now let the mods begin :D

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
How is the seat height on it? My buddy has a Daytona 675 and its one of the tallest bikes I've ever seen.

Love the two big cans in the back and the big honkin headlights. That's a great looking bike.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice. Is it a 1050?
Yeah, the new 1050 is 05+. An amazing motor with such a great grumbly sound. The tq curve is so awesome on this thing, power everywhere.

How is the seat height on it? My buddy has a Daytona 675 and its one of the tallest bikes I've ever seen.

Seems about the same as the FZ, maybe a bit lower. I have no problems with taller seat height and tip-toeing around. I'm not that tall (5'9") and I feel comfortable with it.

Thanks all for the positive comments. I hope the weather gets a bit better soon so I can ride her more.
I'm going to try and keep the mods to a minimum on this one, trying to keep with the whole "less is more" theme. I do want a low-profile rear hugger on it to keep the rear shock and linkage clean.
Another thing I am a bit intimidated by, but am very excited about, is the adjustable bump/rebound on the front and rear. I think it will take some tinkering to get her dialed in, but once I do I think it'll be an amazing handling bike.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
I got to say, that's pretty sweet. I see why you jumped on that deal, some people have all the luck. That's great though.

C O N G R A T S

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Abacall, she's a beauty!

Can hardly wait to watch you do "stoppies" on Trapper's Loop this summer!

:BLAA:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks awesome, i bet the power is a kick in the pants difference! I have a soft spot for Triumphs lately, but it will take a lot more than a soft spot to move away from Yamaha.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Abacall, she's a beauty!

Can hardly wait to watch you do "stoppies" on Trapper's Loop this summer!

:BLAA:

Yeah, that's not gonna happen if I can help it. I try to avoid such things if possible. Can't wait 'till the loop is open though, too much snow this spring.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
damn boy, that is one sweet bike, love it! I'm 6'3 and I'm afraid the Triumph will be too small for me, but I secretly keep dreaming about adding one just like that to my garage. Wonderful thing, keep us posted as you grow on her.