My New Bike! . . . And a question

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2004 with over 20,000 miles on it - two years ago it had 2,800 miles. The engine is noisy and sometimes worse then others. Mine will make more noise when warm/hot (not overheated) and does make more ticking on the right side where the timing chain is. at around 9,000 miles I replaced the timing chain tensioner - it was making more noise and the old tensioner did not operate smoothly. You can hear valve train noise, fuel injector clicking and other stuff. In neutral it is noisier with the clutch out than with it in.

Thanks to this forum I have done a lot to my bike:

Oil change - get extra washers at AutoZone for the drain plug. I use Rotella T6 oil.

Changed timing chain tensioner - very easy.

Changed anti freeze, easy job except I siphoned it out of the coolant reservoir bottle and got some in my mouth - it tastes BAD. The drain bolt has a little washer which is a gasket - had some difficulty getting it to seal, probably should have replaced it.

Replaced head bearings - most difficult thing I've done.

Greased swing arm bearings - great to do in the winter if you have a heated garage.

Changed fork oil - old oil was yuck, went to 10 weight oil. Made a big difference in the front end dive under braking and the bike is better in bumpy corners.

Changed to FZ1 bars - great change.

Changed air filter

Changed spark plugs (twice). Currently running Iridum plugs - they do make a difference.

Changed tail light to LED light with original lens - I think it was the Clear Alternatives kit, just didn't use the clear lens.

Big thanks to all for your posts which help so much when maintaining and moding the bike.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to this forum I have done a lot to my bike:

Greased swing arm bearings - great to do in the winter if you have a heated garage.

Changed fork oil - old oil was yuck, went to 10 weight oil. Made a big difference in the front end dive under braking and the bike is better in bumpy corners.

where is the diy thread for swing arm bearings and fork oil.. i searched the first and didnt find a thing...:thumbup:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
A link for the fork oil change follows. It has a link in it to another thread which has photos - in the photos he pulled off the fairing and a lot of stuff which is not necessary. What I did was:
Support bike under headers
Cut tie wraps holding stuff to the fork tubes
Remove brake line clamp/support - horn mounting bracket
Remove brake calipers
Remove front wheel
Loosen caps on top of fork tubes
Loosen upper pinch bolts
Loosen lower pinch bolts
Slide forks out of tripple clamps
Remove caps on top of fork tubes
Dump oil out while watching washer, spacer and spring slide into the oil :)
Fish parts out of oil
Remember which part fell out first
Let oil drain while watching a movie with the wife
put new oil in
Put it all back together using locktight, (I had to pull my bars off to be able to torque the caps properly, remember to snug up the lower tripple clamps and then torque the caps - dont let them turn in the clamps)
When putting the oil in, measure the distance from the top of the tube to the level of the oil after gently pumping the shock)
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/29579-fork-oil-springs-change-help-needed.html

Following is a link to the swingarm writeup. I removed the exhaust rather than try the contortions in the writeup - I took the headers off then, the lower tube and mid pipe (? name).

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/28166-swingarm-pivot-bolt-service.html