My New Bike! . . . And a question

mjmelancon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, finally going to make post about my new bike. I will have had it for two weeks this Saturday. It’s a 2007 that had 2,174 miles when I purchased it. Love the bike so far with hardly any complaints, but I have a few questions I hope you guys could help me with. Before I started putting miles on it, I wanted to do some maintenance on it since it had been mostly sitting in the previous owner’s garage. The first thing I did was tighten the chain. It had about 3 inches of slack, which was so bad the chain would kind of slap if I put the bike on its stand and let the wheel run at idle speed. I adjusted it to 1.75 inches. Then I changed the oil and filter using Mobile 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and a Fram filter. Then I detailed it up real good and hit the road! This weekend I plan to change the air filter and flush and fill the radiator.
Ever since I changed the oil and filled up the gas tank, I’ve noticed a soft engine knock. It’s not terrible but definitely noticeable below 6,000 RPM. I checked my oil and it’s over the high mark. I did put 3 whole quarts in it, although the owner’s manual calls for 2.96 quarts with a filter change and I figured .04 quarts wouldn’t have a huge impact. I was also wandering if the octane might have something to do with it. The previous owner said he ran regular, so that’s what I put in it. Should I try draining a little oil and running premium? What other maintenance should I consider? Thanks!

cookies

Reaction score
Visit site
are you sure you are not hearing the all to famous tick tick tick noise and thinking it's knocking? i thought mine knocked too.. till i took it to yamaha and they said it's a ok

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
are you sure you are not hearing the all to famous tick tick tick noise and thinking it's knocking? i thought mine knocked too.. till i took it to yamaha and they said it's a ok

Ditto! Ask your local Yamaha dealer to check it out. Most will give a courtesy listen and let you know.

btw, :welcome:

cdnSTIG

Reaction score
Visit site
dont bother changing the air filter. it is brand new.
my engine takes about 2.7 or so litres. might not hurt draining a litle oil out. better safe then sorry. i run regular gas with no problems. it even calls for regular in the manual.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!

I would let a Yamaha dealer listen to it. Could just the the normal tick noise people have already mentioned.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool, thanks. I'll probably drain a little oil and have a shop give it a listen, it is sort of faint.

When on the center stand and just after being shut off, the dip stick should just be seated to the case, not threaded. If its not over the cross hatch line (XXXXXXX) I'd leave it. Needless to say mine has sound too and its a used bike.

IMO it doesn't officially sound like a knock but it seems suspicious. . .

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the FZ6 forum! and like the bud above said don't change the air filter its like new, i had 15k miles on mine when i decided to change it and it looked clean enough still. And i ride rain or shine :rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Both my FZ6's tick, one more than the other, Ozzieboy's ticked lots....it sounds worse than what it is...trust me, the FZ6 is bulletproof, just as long as you keep oil in in it, like any bike!

:thumbup:

Welcome, post lots, ride more! :thumbup:

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
4 & 1/2 RPMs to quote last years teenage sensation (At least here in Oz) 'tick, tick, boom!'
A little ticking at around that mark. Seems very common!

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
only time I've heard a knock is when seriously lugging
the engine down low, like when exiting a corner in the
wrong gear....could that be it?

edit: and as for the oil being over full, a little bit is ok,
a lot can cause foaming and is troublesome

Last edited:

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
only time I've heard a knock is when seriously lugging
the engine down low, like when exiting a corner in the
wrong gear....could that be it?

edit: and as for the oil being over full, a little bit is ok,
a lot can cause foaming and is troublesome

I do drive the original 'Whats blacker than black? - ice black' 2004.
Wether the older models have a few more 'traits' than the later models, I'm uncertain.
Anyone?

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
just be sure you didn't tighten the chain too much

mine slaps a bit when on the paddock stand, but once you put some weight on the bike it tightens it up a bit. The specs for tightness are for an unweighted bike i beleive.

I had my friend sit on the bike, and the chain seemed fine then. Also it's better to have a chain too loose than too tight

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the best forum out there. Lots of great people and FZ6's. :thumbup: Ride safe and enjoy your new ride. The same as mine. Good choice of color and year! :D

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My 09 ticks as well. Besides Nelly, I think I've posted/researched it the most. And I've probably fretted over it more than anyone. Dealer gave it the a-ok as well.

My curiosity has been piqued though. I wonder how many with the tick switched to synth early on. I did at around 1500 I think, and did not notice te tick before, regardless of rpm.

Also, OP welcome to the bike and forum. You'll love this site for it's knowledgeable, humorous, and kind members.

Scorpio

Edit: I am preemptively sorry for the threadjack if it goes that way :)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
My used '06 with about 7K on it ticks. Sometimes it's very noticeable, other times I have to strain to hear it. I wouldn't worry about it. Yamaha's seem to have noisy engines. You should hear a TW200! Sounds like all kinds of things are wrong, when everything's fine. lol Just ride and enjoy!

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

welcome to the forum.. my 05 has that same tick since i have owned it.. nothing to worry about.. but you could always cruise over to the dealer and see if they will just confirm that its nothing to worry about.. i wouldnt drain any oil, thats fine.. as for gas.. you could run some premium to see if it makes a difference.. good luck.. great pics.. now you just need some good gear :thumbup:

mjmelancon

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds good guys, and I'm glad to get such a warm welcome from the community. As for the gear, these pictures were from the day I bought it. At the moment I have a leather Alpinestars "Stunt" jacket, a Shoei Qwest helmet, and some Joe Rocket Gloves.