My luggage dilemma

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
First, let me say that the FZ6 has turned out to be a great little tourer for me. Since buying her in '07 I've steadily increased the mileage I put in per weekend. When I head out on a trip it's usually for a night or two, with a range of 300-1000 miles. I pack my stuff into an expandable fieldsheer tank bag and saddle bags. I've found that with this setup I can cover my basics: navigation, safety gear, clothing & and cold/wet weather gear, toiletries, and sleeping bag stuffed into the packs. A tent and sleeping pad fit on my pillion seat and strap down ok.

However, I see a need to expand my carrying capacity to increase my range of travel and comfort level. Extra items would primarily include additional clothing/layers to help deal with weather and avoid stink, a camping stove/cookset, and a small amount of food/water.

I'm considering a combination of options:
- A tail pack, such as the motofizz medium camping seat pack;
- A SW Motech or Givi rack, with the ability to strap on an additional stuff sack or two, possibly in combination with the seat pack;
- A rack with a coocase or givi hard case, approximately 35-48L

In a way, I guess this whole thing comes down to whether or not I need to install a luggage rack. Racks are great - they really expand the amount of stuff you can carry. However, I'm not sure I need that much extra capacity. I'm also worried about the aesthetics of my bike. Fizzers aren't exactly flashy, but I still think it's a great looking bike. Would adding a rack ruin it? Also, I feel I'm on the verge of over-loading. I don't want to loose the fun nature of my FZ6 because I've loaded it down like an R1200GS or DL1000.

I realize I haven't done a great job of describing my problem. Too much work and not enough sleep will do that to a guy. I suppose I'm just unsure and in need of some advice from fellow FZ-tourers.

Thanks.

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Look some pics here if you want: Modifications
Givi Monorack topcase holder with Givi E55 Topcase.
SW-Motech removable side-case holder with Givi V35 Cases.
You can combine it however you want/need it.

BR Rob

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I reckon a Ventura rack is your best bet. When removed, it's very discrete (only the side bars left) and yet you can haul a 51 litre bag zipped to a 35 litre bag, and still run your other luggage if you need.

Caligula

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Kriega US 20 & 10 (20 litres and 10 litres) strapped to the bike. Easy to remove to keep the great lines of the FZ6. Very secure, waterproof and made by bikers.

There is a US 40 (comprising of 1x US20 & 2x US 10's, giving you 40litres of storage)

Hope this helps.

Kriega

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a question on the top cases (givi, etc): How do they affect your handling, gas mileage, tire life? I've heard all three can suffer dramatically depending on the bike. These would be major negatives for me. On the other hand, I really like the volume of storage they allow. It's also great that they actually lock. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I've heard many stories about soft bags getting ripped off of bikes.

I like the Kreiga too. Any pics of it on the FZ? Could I strap a tent to it?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
The PLX351 side case rack from GIVI hugs the side of the bike.
It looks pretty good, for a luggage rack. :D

givi_PLX_01.jpg

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
The PLX351 side case rack from GIVI hugs the side of the bike.
It looks pretty good, for a luggage rack. :D

givi_PLX_01.jpg

Yes it does. :thumbup: And I love how the rack/bags hug the FZ's lines. Unfortunately, I'm a cheap bastard. The soft saddlebags I have now don't look as nice, but they work and have a relatively high capacity. Seems like I should be focusing on the top-end, such as a rack and/or seat/rack bags.:confused:

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Here's a question on the top cases (givi, etc): How do they affect your handling, gas mileage, tire life? I've heard all three can suffer dramatically depending on the bike. These would be major negatives for me. On the other hand, I really like the volume of storage they allow.

Sorry, cant help here, I just had it on one tour yet, and this was not representative regarding tire life or fuel consumation. But I still habe the set of Pilot Road 2 tires on my FZ6 I had on this tour. 12000km with these and counting. 2-5000km are still in until I have to change.
Handling is OK. If you have "heavy" things in the Topcase you notice it a little but for commuting this is perfectly fine for me.

BR
Robert

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
The Givi rack with the M11 plate is a neat combo as the M11 looks like a sports rack when no top box fitted. The Givi rack can also be removed in 2 minutes by just undoing four bolts. The brackets that remain on the bike are very discrete.

The M11 also gives the option of strapping your stuff directly on it, no need to use a top box if you don't need it.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the big givi E55 top case and two E21's on the sides for two years now. When I go to the package store and put a case of beer up there, I notice the bike dips into the turns reeeeeally quikly from the extra weight way up high. But it's completely controllable. I load the bike up for camping in VT every year with my stuff, and some stuff from my buddy (who can't fit much on his bonneville) and I can handle it easily at 5'5" and 118 lbs. Oh and I got 15,000 miles out of my metzeler Z6's last year.

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright - I'm going to bite the bullet and order the givi rack. I'm still torn on hard versus soft luggage though. I like the idea of having lockable hard luggage. The coocase system with brake/running lights and an alarm is friggin awesome. That said, I've spent a bit of time tidying up my bike's rear end. She's so trim right now with the fender eliminator and integrated brake light/turn signals. Crying shame to ruin the look with a big ol' top box. Then again, I can take it all off when I'm not using it. And luggage is transferable between bikes, so the investment can roll-over to other bikes that may end up in my stable.

Pondrat

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think getting the Givi rack is a great choice. I have the toprack and a 46L top case that I use so much I almost never take it off.

I have the Givi toprack and the E460 (I got two off ebay for 200 shipped).
k6huk8KuYza6y6Q2HZ-oDQ

I toured for about 10k miles with just the soft luggage and I can tell you that the security and waterproofness (I just made that word up...BAM) is worth the investment for the hardstuff. If you want, you could get just the hard topcase and then still use your soft side bags. Also, I use my waterproof kayak bag style roll top bag from my BOB bike trailer for when I need a lot more room.
hQPnvaut612_rn-2g2DUzQ

It's a great addition and you can find something like that cheap if it's not marketed specifically to motorbikes. Something like these:

Seattle Sports Hydralight Dry Duffle - Large at REI.com
Sea To Summit Lightweight Dry Sack - Medium at REI.com

I have this one:
BOB DRY SACK WATERPROOF TRAILER BAG at JensonUSA.com

Good luck and have fun! Take some pics of the new setup and let us see when you're all done.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright - I'm going to bite the bullet and order the givi rack. I'm still torn on hard versus soft luggage though. I like the idea of having lockable hard luggage. The coocase system with brake/running lights and an alarm is friggin awesome. That said, I've spent a bit of time tidying up my bike's rear end. She's so trim right now with the fender eliminator and integrated brake light/turn signals. Crying shame to ruin the look with a big ol' top box. Then again, I can take it all off when I'm not using it. And luggage is transferable between bikes, so the investment can roll-over to other bikes that may end up in my stable.

HAHA
You remind me of me a week ago!
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/29870-your-topcase-sell-me.html

Are you getting side cases as well?

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
The integrated brake lights in the big E55 topcase are MUCH more visible than the stock tail light, too, by the way. Higher, bigger, much better. But the base plate kinda obscures the stock brake light, so I find myself always riding with thew top case on, not because I needed room that day, but so I don't get rear-ended.

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

You can put all kinds of lights on the GIVI cases as well.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/17874-givi-v35-v46-case-install-all-trimmings-using-givi-racks-yamaha-fz6-2008-a.html

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site

Yeah, I really like the aftermarket lighting available for the Givis - ability to integrate turn signals is really nice. Thing is, buying a givi plus a lighting kit lands you at the same price as a coocase with lights + alarm already built-in. I also like the way the coocase looks versus the givi topcase. Just a personal style thing.

I'm totally bummed out now though. . . After getting completely stoked about this project I got hit with some unexpected bills this month plus news of a furlough coming up at work:(. Unfortunately, this is the economy we live in. Hopefully this only means putting off the luggage project another month or two. I'll update with pics when I get it done.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always used one of my bugout backpacks. Being in the military I have a couple of them at different sizes and the all have extra straps that make it easy to mount on my FZ6.

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
.... Thing is, buying a givi plus a lighting kit lands you at the same price as a coocase with lights + alarm already built-in. I also like the way the coocase looks versus the givi topcase. Just a personal style thing.....

Absolutely, right. Since you have little more time in your hands now, I would highly recommend you trying to find somebody local that sells them and check them out in person. I was at the same place you were when I was looking at them and was lucky enough to compare them side by side at the local motorcycle show. Of course, my options were little different back then yours now, and coocase does make nice cases, but, you can see what I ended up with once I did that. :) At the end, you need to be happy with them, so do what best works for you. ;)

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish coocase.com provided a list of vendors. As it is, the closest Givi dealer I know of is a couple hundred miles away. Around here, most guys buy bikes that offer OEM luggage (v-strom, concourse, goldwing, etc) or they buy soft luggage (which the local vendors do seem to carry).

The Inland Northwest is like that - vendors have trouble carrying too many specialty items in all our small-medium sized cities. Something to do with demand versus supply. lol.

Oh, I should mention that it's a totally different world if you ride a v-twin cruiser. Those guys can find any accessory then want. It's a demographics thing, I guess.:BLAA: