My latest creation ( beer + baked goods content )

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know why it took me so long to combine two of my favorite things, but here it is at last.. beer bread!! This was the first attempt of my own recipe and I must say it came out pretty damn good! I wish this forum had smell-o-vision!

attachment.php

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:beer: :iconbeer: That looks delicious!! try making some beer bizkits they are AWESOME!!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like good old fashioned Aussie Damper to me!

Beer Damper
4 cups of self-raising flour
a pinch of salt
50 grams of butter – melted
1 stubby of beer
1 bread tin

Method:
In a large bowl sift the self-raising flour and make a well. Into the well add the melted butter, beer and salt. Gently mix the batter and knead to smooth dough. Place dough into a pre greased and floured bread tin and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Man that looks good! When we lived in Jersey we'd always have some good Irish Soda Bread, home made or from a good bakery. I'd have to hunt for it here but like John says, how about a recipe!

Taku

Not a senile member.
Reaction score
Visit site
God dammit!

These are just the times when I really wish I wouldn't have coeliac disease...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks awesome. How about posting your recipe?

Sure! Here you go:

1 cup of bread flour
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1/3 cup of sugar
3/4 teaspoon of salt
12oz of beer (just remember that beer flavor will come through quite strong, so the bread WILL taste much like the beer you choose)
2 tablespoons of melted butter

Preheat oven to 375. Butter bread tin and set aside.
Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Pour beer over dry mixture and mix to combine. Pour batter into tin and place in the oven on middle rack. Bake for 52 minutes. Remove from oven, brush the top thoroughly with melted butter and place back in the oven for 3 more minutes.
Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before removing from tin. Enjoy!

By the way, this is quite different from Irish soda bread. ISB is very light and airy, which is not a bad thing, but I love heavy hearty bread which is what you'll get if you use my recipe :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like good old fashioned Aussie Damper to me!

Beer Damper
4 cups of self-raising flour
a pinch of salt
50 grams of butter – melted
1 stubby of beer
1 bread tin

That's pretty close!! Mine has no butter (so it's a bit healthier :D ), but I've added sugar to balance out the bitterness of the beer.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sure! Here you go:

1 cup of bread flour
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1/3 cup of sugar
3/4 teaspoon of salt
12oz of beer (just remember that beer flavor will come through quite strong, so the bread WILL taste much like the beer you choose)
2 tablespoons of melted butter

Preheat oven to 375. Butter bread tin and set aside.
Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Pour beer over dry mixture and mix to combine. Pour batter into tin and place in the oven on middle rack. Bake for 52 minutes. Remove from oven, brush the top thoroughly with melted butter and place back in the oven for 3 more minutes.
Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before removing from tin. Enjoy!

By the way, this is quite different from Irish soda bread. ISB is very light and airy, which is not a bad thing, but I love heavy hearty bread which is what you'll get if you use my recipe :D
I've been experimenting with pizza crusts for the last four days, I'm gonna try this as a crust. The best topping combo of the weekend: pancetta, artichoke hearts, carmelized onions, and smoked gouda (gouda is NOT a melting cheese, you need to put it on the pie as it comes out of the oven).
And why am I getting fatter all the time? :rolleyes:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Erci! I'll have to try your recipe.

My wife gave me a ceramic bread beer bowl for Christmas, and it came with a recipe, but it's not the best. It called for way too much sugar in my opinion, but otherwise was great. I used my own homebrew for the beer, and added some spent grains I had saved from when I brewed it for texture.

One other weird thing about this recipe is that it called for a whole stick of melted butter to be poured over the dough, but almost all of that got displaced when the dough was rising LOL. I like your brush method better :thumbup:

EDIT: I also agree with how much of the flavor of the beer comes through - especially the bitterness. So choose carefully!

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Erci I bought the same knife set a few months back, how do you like the bread knife?

Honestly.. I think bread knife was a waste of money. Other knives in the set can cut bread just fine and they don't make crumbs fly in all directions like this one tends to do.

Last edited: