Roadtrip 2014 (Europe)

Silvia6

Reaction score
Visit site
Day 10 (18 August) - Weißenhorn (Germany) - Slovenia - Rijeka (Croatia) - 700 km

The plan for this day was to leave early in the morning ..but I didn't. Which meant that I arrived at night in Rijeka. And fumble for the accommodation address.

The roads in Croatia are so much fun. Everything is curvy and the asphalt is great. Not only this country is very beautiful but it has good highways and roads (many u-turns :D:D:D), which are very well signaled. There is a highway tax, but the price is very low. In my opinion, Croatia is the most beautiful country I have ever visited (with very good weather) and the prices are low as well. And the Croatians speak so many languages: they speak German, Italian, English and French. The people are also very friendly and there are many things one can do in Croatia.

Rijeka is a nice city, but not as nice as other cities in Croatia. I personally liked Opatija more. It is more animated and so full of life. I also visited Lovran, Pula, which is a very well preserved Roman city, and the Krk island. All extremely beautiful..

Silvia6

Reaction score
Visit site
Day 11 (24 August) - Rijeka (Croatia) - Balaton (Hungary) - 400 km

The first time when it didn't rain. Hooray!
When I cross Hungary I prefer to take this route as I drive round the Balaton lake. I've passed by Balaton many times but I never stayed or visited it. And since I was definitely not in hurry to go home, I chose to spend a few days in Balaton and maybe getting a nice tan at the beach.

Unfortunately the weather disagreed and going to the beach was out of the question. It was pretty cold, rainy and cloudy. So I just visited and relaxed.

Silvia6

Reaction score
Visit site
Day 12 (26 August) - Balaton (Hungary) - Bucharest (Romania) - 900 km

The long way home...
I am always so excited when I pack to go somewhere ...but not so excited when I pack to go back home...Especially since I knew it's gonna be a loooooooooooooooooooong ride. First of all because for the last month I
got used to driving in a civilised manner (which is not the case in Romania), so the first big problem was getting used to the Romanian driving again. The second problem was the crowded roads, lack of highways, the stray dogs and so on..

I normally stop at the border with Romania, spend a night and start fresh very early in the morning. Crossing Romania is a difficult job! But this time I wanted to arrive home, in Bucharest, as I also wanted to spend some days on the Romanian seaside.

Reaching the border with Romania was easy and fast. Romania on the other hand, not so fast. But I did manage a record of 6 hours from the border with Hungary to Bucharest. Which was pretty good..

And no, it didn't rain! :)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great write up and pics. I really wished I could go off for longer than a (long) weekend riding, maybe when the kids have grown up, but reading your posts kinda helped me get my fix :thumbup:.

BTW Love Brugge, if all goes to plan I should be going to the beer festival in February for my Dads birthday.

Silvia6

Reaction score
Visit site
Great write up and pics. I really wished I could go off for longer than a (long) weekend riding, maybe when the kids have grown up, but reading your posts kinda helped me get my fix :thumbup:.

BTW Love Brugge, if all goes to plan I should be going to the beer festival in February for my Dads birthday.

:)) Well, unfortunately next year I will not be able to leave for a month. This year I used the last year's days off plus this year's days off..and all together: one month! And I also tricked my boss into singing my release note for my one month holiday :D.. :innocent:

Next year I will probably go for a 2 weeks, maybe 2 weeks and a half roadtrip (I'm thinking Turkey and Georgia).

Bruges....Great! Aaand have a Westmalle Triple, too! :D (maybe more than one :)) )

dainese

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
I couldn't wait for the part that includes my country, Croatia, I'm happy you liked it, more of great roads and sun you'll find going south along the coast, if you ever come back, be sure to visit islands like Vis and Mljet, Krk is very nice, but crowded, I would say the longer ferryboat ride, the more beautiful islands, really enjoyed reading, wishing you many happy and suny roads and pleasure

Sent sa Nokia Lumia 625 using Taptalk

Silvia6

Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't wait for the part that includes my country, Croatia, I'm happy you liked it, more of great roads and sun you'll find going south along the coast, if you ever come back, be sure to visit islands like Vis and Mljet, Krk is very nice, but crowded, I would say the longer ferryboat ride, the more beautiful islands, really enjoyed reading, wishing you many happy and suny roads and pleasure

Sent sa Nokia Lumia 625 using Taptalk

Thaaank you!! I will definitely come back to Croatia. It's like...nothing I've ever seen. It's so different from all the countries in Europe..Loved it!

The first time I visited Croatia was in 2013. I was close to the border with Croatia, and I could cross the border with the ID (since it was accepted in the EU), so I said ..why not? And I visited Zagreb, which I liked. But I promised that in 2014, on my next tour, I will spend more time in Croatia. And I did!

I also wanted to visit Plitvice ...but due to the rain it was not possible. And I was told Dubrovnik is also amazing. But I will be coming back to Croatia..there's more to see :)

One thing that I noticed was that the drivers in Croatia don't wear equipment..mostly shorts and t-shirt plus a helmet. And they drive rather aggressively. Just out of curiosity...are there many incidents/accidents involving bikers in Croatia?