First Big Ride.

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
A few of you know my buddy Daniel. We set off last Thursday morning with San Fran in mind. We took the five thinking it would save an hour of slab time. Nope... It was super hot. We took breaks often, about every 30 miles or so. We felt the heat was to much to bear and cut across the 198 to the 101 going through Coalinga. It was a nice stretch of rd. the east half looked as if an atom bomb went off, I think they film apocalypse movies there. The west side of the 198 was nice long rolling hills with a 15 degree temp drop. We traded the heat on the 5 for the wind on the 101.
We made San Jose shortly after that, then cruised through San Fran, and the Golden Gate Bridge on to our destination being Petaluma , Ca. My sister was waiting at the Best Western with a six pack of beer and food. What a lady.

Day 2... We slept in. Then scooted back to the Golden Gate Bridge recreation area. There I was pleased to see some old forts and gun emplacements. They hade the only Nike missile rang left in America, non operational of course. We took some picks, then took off to locate Cycle Gear in down town San Fran. I replaced my scratched helmet visor with a light smoke grey. On ward onto Oakland, and many miles more we found ourselves on a most beuitifull ride. I think Yosemite has to be my new favorite place/ ride on the planet, and I've been all around the world. They have a 35 mph limit in most of the park, and it cost money. But the limit gave me a chance to soak it up. We've got pictures below of our short stop there.
So this day goes on and on and on. We made the discision to ride on
threw the night to our next destination. So leaving Yosemite at 8:30 pm or so, we took the 41 to Fresno. Then the 99 to the 54 through the Mojave to the 395 to the 18 into BigBear. We took power naps when we needed to. Daniel managed to sleep on his bike, I would end up on a bench catching my z's. So that new visor I purchased in San Fran that morning ended up blinding me, I had to ride without it. Going on a big ride, we brought a few randoms, and clear safty glasses were one of them. We made it into BigBear at 730am and slept a few hours at Daniels moms house there by the Village.

Day 3... Woke. Chatted with Daniels mom. We had intentions of hanging out there for the night. We rode into town for some pizza and when I parked Daniel pointed out I had a leak. More like my bike threw up every where. I'm still not fully sure what's up. There were issues that followed along with this leak. I initially thought my radiator hose came loose some how at the zip tie. Further inspection showed me that hose was only secured to the bike by a zip tie. Hose was busted at that spot. I jimmy rigged and bandeged it up and filled it with H20. The other issues. First the fluid that came out of the radiator was brown. I'm thinking the previous owner mixed fluids, there's no rust that I see. Wish I looked into that before. Second, my bike keeps shutting off at stop lights. Temp was actuly reading lower then normal by 10 degrees. So a bit confused on that aspect. Do to the issues we set off after patch work was done. Bike did just fine making it home. But this Fz is near and dear to me, so it's getting some rest while I finger out why it's doing what it's doing.

Sooooo.... Over all. We had a much needed adventure, and now were saftly home. The mileage talley for the ride was 1396.4 miles. My butt is sore, my back is out of sorts, and my wrist hurts. ( need Fz1 bars, and a better seat) We already decided on next years ride. A GrandCanyon loop. But during a cooler part of the year.

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like it was a great ride! I just missed you by a week, I was out in SD while you were on this trip:thumbup:

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
Definatly epic and unforgettable. I'm gonna get a bike like Jerry's in the future. I have a goal of riding to Maine and back in the next five years. That will probably be a solo trip, and I have to do a few more rides to build my endurance. We had to take a lot of brakes.

polydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
SOunds like you had a good fun adventure. My first big ride was up the 1 from Los Angeles to the Bay, then across to tahoe, and down through yosemite and the 395. It was amazing until we had to hit the 99 in 105* and i couldn't even sit my ass hurt so bad. But it was an adventure. Just got back from another adventure with my dad and our personal friend/mecanic/motorcycle tourmaster. I posted the trip itinerary somewhere it was through utah primarily but there will be an article in Rider magazine about our trip with pics and all. I live in Ventura, CA where Rider is based, and our friend/tourmaster (as he likes to be called) is a long time touring rider and writer/photographer. Check out last month's Rider (with the new cb1100 on the cover) theres an article about a trip through oregon's 30 waterfalls or something of that nature, well anyways he wrote that article too. Hopefully They'll include a pic of me representing for all us FZ riders! Motorcycle rides are always a great adventure. Just keep taking them! BTW my bike had no problem whatsoever keeping up with their big 1200 cc bikes in any capacity. Don't underestimate our bikes, you could easily do a cross country trip on one... most importantly have fun!