MY FZ6 Gave Up the Ghost! Now what?

naeem

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys;

So, I posted a few days ago about my crash - and Insurance co. came back with more money if I just handed it to them (retarded, but that's the way it came out), so I did. No I've got money to buy a new 2-wheeler.

Sad to say, but I think my Fazer days are over.., I'm feeling the need to step up in power/ maneuverability/ control/ etc.. I loved the FZ6, but for the last 6 months, was thinking I need more power. Mind you, I ain't 19, and looking for a throttle I can turn to get my thrills - just feeling like I need to "up the game".

Sooo, I still want the "sport" feel, I'm looking for recommendations on what would be a good step up from here - R6, R1? Whatcha think?
Would love to hear opinions from others who have other bikes. Is the super-sport too much of a leap? Too aggressive? Comfort level?

Chime in! Cheers! :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can tell you from experience the R1 crossplane crank is a hoot. Sat on the BMW s1000RR today and know 3guys that love theirs.

What you want to upgrade to is hard for any of us to suggest because so much depends on your experience and where you want to go with your riding.
BrynDH and I stopped at a couple of bike dealers today just looking at what's available in BMW, Ducati, Aprillia, MV, Moto Guzzi. Great stuff from Adventure to Supersport.
Good luck on your quest!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you really want sporty then I say a Bimota DB7 :drool: :drool:
2008-Bimota-DB71.jpg

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Hey guys;

So, I posted a few days ago about my crash - and Insurance co. came back with more money if I just handed it to them (retarded, but that's the way it came out), so I did. No I've got money to buy a new 2-wheeler.

Sad to say, but I think my Fazer days are over.., I'm feeling the need to step up in power/ maneuverability/ control/ etc.. I loved the FZ6, but for the last 6 months, was thinking I need more power. Mind you, I ain't 19, and looking for a throttle I can turn to get my thrills - just feeling like I need to "up the game".

Sooo, I still want the "sport" feel, I'm looking for recommendations on what would be a good step up from here - R6, R1? Whatcha think?
Would love to hear opinions from others who have other bikes. Is the super-sport too much of a leap? Too aggressive? Comfort level?

Chime in! Cheers! :D

As has already been said, there's a wide range of bikes to look into. If you want a more 'sporty feel', it all depends on what you mean by that.

You'll have to decide how much more folded up you want to be -- that generally has a big effect on how long you can stay on the bike. Clip on handlebars, and elevated rear set foot pegs work well on the track. Not so much, on the street. Most sport bikes also have much more limited steering lock, making them harder to turn around on the street. They're also tougher to strap luggage onto, and generally less inviting to passengers.

Extra power? That's easy. More displacement in an inline four will do that. Keep the weight down, and the wheelbase short, and it will wheelie on command.

Looks? There's a lot of good looking bikes out there. I'm not a huge fan of plastics; and it's becoming ever more difficult to find a performance bike without a lot of that material stuck on it. (And not carrying clip ons and rear sets.)

I'm thinking more and more about sport touring types of bike for the ergos and range. At least then, I can keep a reasonable lean angle available, can accommodate luggage and carry a passenger if desired.

Cost? Most high performance sporty bikes cost considerably more than an FZ6... both in purchase price, and in insurance.

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
IMO, Sounds like you have a great deal of research to do to find a bike that has more torque and power at lower RPMs that will still be able to accommodate various types of riding. A liter bike and above is going to have the lower torque and allow more of a sporting ride at speeds manageable for the street. The FZ6 motor having such a wide power band is is really made more for racing than sport riding on the street but it does do well in many capacities and I am very happy with it. If you are older and want versatility I would think you would want to be careful not to purchase a bike that is one dimensional no matter how sexy it looks, IMO.

Good luck finding the new bike, will be interested in hearing what you find.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I personally am not comfortable on a pure supersport. Next bike for me would be a fz1. I am also a hardcore Yamaha person

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
So yeah, give us more info on what you want.

The only supersports I think I'd ever consider right now are the Honda (because it got killer reviews for 2 or 3 years in a row, and is reported to be relatively comfy for a ss, and you know it will last 800 years) and the BMW, because it's just such a killer engine from what I read.

If you want more motor AND you want to be remotely comfy, then the usual suspects are the FZ1, that new Ninja 1000, a Bandit 1200S, a Kawi Z1000, something like that. All have lots more torque and will do whatever you want 'em to.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
No brainer-Do what I did. FZ1 baby.
I really like this bike. Upright seating, way more of hp, better brakes & suspension. Center stand for easy chain access plus Yamaha quality, fit and finish and still runs on regular gas.

NewPRunsetride005.jpg

Sparky10

Reaction score
Visit site
You have A LOT of research ahead of you. Enjoy. When I get ready to upgrade (prolly 2-4 years away), these are the bikes currently on my list to research (in no particular order):

Yamaha FZ1
Kawasaki Z1000
Honda CB1000
Ducati Monster
Triumph Speed Tripple

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
When I upgrade (Shhh! Don't let the wife find out or :spank:) it will be a BMW F800ST... It might not seem like the coolest choice at first glance but if you read a few reviews you will see why....

BMW_F_800_ST_2006_21_1024x768.jpg

TAPnTX

Reaction score
Visit site
What about the Suzuki Bandit, I loved mine but I lacked the discipline to keep it out of the triple digits. They are silky smooth and lots of torque. I actually went the other way, less hp or I was going to have to send my Drivers Lic back to the state. Funny thing is I am still the one leading the rides. :thumbup:

This is a pic of my 08 1250S

IMG_1681.jpg

Todd