My fz keeps dying!!!!!!!!!!

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can anybody on here show me (pictures, videos, diagrams) where the kickstand sensor connects? I've tried to google for it but my google skills are failing me. My bike is in the middle of campus so it is kind of awkward to work on it when there are a couple hundred people walking around you at all times of the day.

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, WTF!!!

I go out today, start my bike up, make sure the kickstand is up, kick it into first........ DIES.

Okay, Okay. I'm just trying to diagnose the issue so I'm not getting upset with the bike or anything. So I calmly start the bike, forgot to put it in neutral, start in first, let out on the clutch and OFF SHE GOES LIKE NOTHING EVER HAPPENED. I stopped about five times and now it will start in neutral and go into gear without dying instantly and so on and so forth. Basically, it acts like nothing ever happened.

Can anybody explain this to me? I'm totally lost on what could have caused my bike to act like this.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My dealer is 2.5 hours away and I've modded the bike so they would probably give me hell if I tried to get them to fix it under warranty.

I believe the "starting" issue was a one time anomoly (the bike was completely cooled down b/c it was this morning before I had driven the bike anywhere at all) So take that out of the picture and I'm still leaning on kickstand sensor.

i you have the warranty the dealer has to check the battery and charging system. I had the same problem with the bike not charging And they checked the charging system and the battery, it turned up to be the battery, so i bought a new battery and a battery tender so when i don't use the bike i plug it in. Since then everything is working normally, and i have a spare battery that i charge as well.

troday

Reaction score
Visit site
Same problem. I am riding alone and it just dies for a few seconds. If on the freeway it will cut off for a second then go. If on side road it dies and will not turnover. Few seconds later it starts up fine.

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
Same problem. I am riding alone and it just dies for a few seconds. If on the freeway it will cut off for a second then go. If on side road it dies and will not turnover. Few seconds later it starts up fine.

I don't know anything about the TPS issue, but on my last bike I had a similar issue. Would be riding along and all of a sudden the throttle would not do anything, no power, it would just shut down and coast to a stop as if I was out of gas. but I knew I had at least 1/2 tank. I opened the fuel cap to check, yup 1/2 full, and closed it up, sure enough it starts right back up. turns out I had some dirt in the vent holes around the gas cap and the tank was not venting properly so I had vapor lock. Gas could not flow out of the tank, because air could not get in to release the pressure.

Now I don't know if this can happen to a FI bike, as my last one was a carb. but it certainly sounds like what I had.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the kick stand switch has dirty contacts or is not working properly it can operate haphazardly. If you follow the wires from thew switch upward you should be able to trace them to a a connector to the main wiring harness.. If you disconnect it there and connect the wires (harness side) you'll be
by- passing the switch. If you do this when its acting up you'll know for certain the kickstand switch is dirty/bad...

fz6974

Reaction score
Visit site
i could be way off base with this, but i have had a similar problem. and it turned out to be my throttle position sensor

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, WTF!!!

I go out today, start my bike up, make sure the kickstand is up, kick it into first........ DIES.

Okay, Okay. I'm just trying to diagnose the issue so I'm not getting upset with the bike or anything. So I calmly start the bike, forgot to put it in neutral, start in first, let out on the clutch and OFF SHE GOES LIKE NOTHING EVER HAPPENED. I stopped about five times and now it will start in neutral and go into gear without dying instantly and so on and so forth. Basically, it acts like nothing ever happened.

Can anybody explain this to me? I'm totally lost on what could have caused my bike to act like this.

That for sure sounds like a kickstand issue. Those sensors are directly exposed to crap from your chain and sprocket and everything else that comes off the road so its a wonder they dont fail more often. Like others have said, you can disconnect it form the main harness and jump the connection so the bike always thinks the kickstand is up but you have the chance of forgetting that its down and being surprised the next time you turn left. What you could do is put the bike on the centerstand, unscrew the switch from its bracket, start the bike and put it in hear while depressing the switch to let the bike think the stand is up. Being on the centerstand, the rear tire will roll and the bike shouldnt die at idle in gear since the tire will be spinning in air. While keeping the switch depressed, move the plunger around and see if it dies. If it does die while you jiggled it, its getting a bad connection inside the switch and its bad. Thats the way me and my dad diagnosed a KLR650 stand switch issue cept we had to use a stump in the middle of nowhere since the bike didnt have a centerstand lol. jiggling kinda simulates goin down the road with vibration. If that switch looses connectivity for just a split second while the bike is in gear, itll kill it which explains your sparatic issue. Thats just my $.02

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The problem I am having is, when i start the bike it would be fine, I would ride around for a while (always ride at 6K) and then I would stop to eat or gas or whatever. Then I would go to start it again and it would hesitate and either start or just clicking, if the bike started then i would know that i would have to go home because if I stalled i would have to get a jump. I come home and I would plug in to my TRICKLE CHARGER and let it charge up. I then went out and bought a new battery thinking the old one was no good. The same thing would be the problem, when the bike has been running for some time, if I stopped someplace and had to turn the bike over again it would either start or i needed a jump. I called the Stealer and they said that i would have to bring it to them and they would need to hold the bike for a few day's to see what was going on with the charging system. If i don't plug the bike in, the bike would last maybe 4-6 days and i would have to plug it in. I am far from a mechanic and know nothing about the fixing a problem's but i am trying to learn, as far as mod's that I have done like, LED kit (with a kill switch), PC111, speed-o-healer, dual headlight mod with yellow bulbs, and can those cause a constant drain on the bike. I want to be able to bring the bike to the Stealer and when and if they try to say that those mods are draining the battery i would tell them that those mods couldn't cause the problem. So Any info would really help me and not make me sounding like I am dope talking to the Stealer, or do I have to keep plugging my bike in all the time.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
sounds like the same problem I had on my SV650. They replaced a LOT of parts and I ended up having that bike in the shop more than riding it. After too much cash, I said screw it and sold it to them because they couldn't figure it out. To this day, I don't think it ever went back on the show floor.

In all cases though, sounds like your battery might not be charging. They started with stator/coil and analyzed the charging system. I'd have the dealer look at it, but set a price limit you're willing to spend...parts get expensive :(

sorry to sound like it's all bad news bears...could be a simple charging system fix :)

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like the same problem I had on my SUV. They replaced a LOT of parts and I ended up having that bike in the shop more than riding it. After too much cash, I said screw it and sold it to them because they couldn't figure it out. To this day, I don't think it ever went back on the show floor.

In all cases though, sounds like your battery might not be charging. They started with stator/coil and analyzed the charging system. I'd have the dealer look at it, but set a price limit you're willing to spend...parts get expensive :(

sorry to sound like it's all bad news bears...could be a simple charging system fix :)

When I bought the bike i took out the extended service plan witch covers the bike and everything possible, the only thing that are not covered are the cosmetic's, and, I also took out the the service plan which cover all the oil, fluids, throttle bodies, syncing the bike and the whole nine yards.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
if it's got warranty, take it in. The worst that'll happen is they sit on it forever...but it's free. So let them deal with it before any warranty runs out.

haha - did you see the name in the quote? I'm 'marinades' and the problem was on my 'suv' LOL...computers are weird.

mixalis82

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had this problem for the past 2 days now , similar behavior.. I went on to ride my bike after a full night of idling in the garaze and at first I didn't let it warm up, as I needed to position it in order to drive her out of the garaze.

So, I start her up, kick in the first and whooop, dead. First thoughts where the stand switch etc. The thing is though that I went on warming it up before ever kicking a gear in and there it goes, not dying , running smoothly..

So, I really cannot pinpoint the problem here without visiting the shop.

Also, I was riding just yesterday, after managing to roll it out of the garaze more or less the same situation to the one I described above. So, I was riding and as I was taking a left after a green light -while having the clutch down- my bike went dead.

This can be really dangerous and I'lll visit the shop today to see what gives..

Last edited:

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Originally Posted by opds9091
s I BROUGHT MY BIKE ON MONDAY BECAUSE OF THE CHARGING SYSTEM PROBLEM and they called me today and said the the (the spelling might suck) reservoir resonator was bad. What the hell is that???

Well, you either have a really bad telephone connection, or you need to get your hearing checked.

They probably said Regulator/Rectifier, as in Voltage Regulator/Rectifier.

The rectifier part takes the AC from the charging system and turns it into DC. The regulator controls the output of the charging system.

They used to be two seperate units, but for about 20 years now, they've all been in the same box, and the name was shortened to Regulator/Rectifier.

Anyway, if it's bad, the bike won't charge. And it's the most common failure point for the charging system. So it sounds like they've solved the problem.

Fred

fz6dude

Average Joe
Reaction score
Visit site
You know what, I took my 05 FZ6 to the dealer and they said it was the roll over switch on the right side frame behind the rear panel. Did the diagnosis and found out it was not the problem. It turned out to be the kill switch on the right handle bar switch. The bike stopped cutting out and dying. I did the "Mickey Mouse" and connected the two wires together until I change the switch out.