My First Few Mods

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
what are tax discs again.. i didnt fully understand what they do for the bike. thanks :)

Neither do i understand anymore..in the good o'l days road tax was charged as a way to pay for the upkeep of roads..nowerdays its categorised by engine size and emissions..and the roads here are ****e...i would like to say its 1-0 to the enviromentalists vs common sence..but the reality is its just another way for the polititions to pay for their sumptious lifestyle....your employer gets taxed what they pay you ,you get taxed what you earn,you get taxed on what you buy and then after you bought it you get taxed to use it,you insurance is taxed and your fuel is taxed and has 75% revenue fee slapped on for good measure..and they still manage to bankrupt the country..meanwhile they are accomodating immigrants in £1 million pound houses while the british workforce is on its arse

yeah, tax disks (this country in a microcosm) rant over :ban:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Neither do i understand anymore..in the good o'l days road tax was charged as a way to pay for the upkeep of roads..nowerdays its categorised by engine size and emissions..and the roads here are ****e...i would like to say its 1-0 to the enviromentalists vs common sence..but the reality is its just another way for the polititions to pay for their sumptious lifestyle....your employer gets taxed what they pay you ,you get taxed what you earn,you get taxed on what you buy and then after you bought it you get taxed to use it,you insurance is taxed and your fuel is taxed and has 75% revenue fee slapped on for good measure..and they still manage to bankrupt the country..meanwhile they are accomodating immigrants in £1 million pound houses while the british workforce is on its arse

Too right mate! The roads round here are shocking (Southampton council)! Strangely enough, the roads that are maintained by Hampshire county instead are better - but still not great.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site

Oh man, I feel EXACTLY the same way Gilo! That's how it is over here too. I've got no problem paying taxes when I buy something, even when I sell something, but I have a real problem with usage taxes.

It doesn't make any sense to me that when I buy a car or bike, I pay taxes at the time of purchase (or rather, they're figured into the loan amount, so I pay them as I pay for the car/bike). But I've never understood how it's fair that I have to pay taxes on that car/bike every year when I go to renew my tags. It's stupid. I'm already paying a tax for buying the car/bike, now I have to pay just to use/own it???

It may not mean a lot to you guys overseas from the U.S. but I'm a hardcore Democrat...but this is one area where I'm definitely a Republican (and you have no idea how painful that is to say!)

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man, I feel EXACTLY the same way Gilo! That's how it is over here too. I've got no problem paying taxes when I buy something, even when I sell something, but I have a real problem with usage taxes.

It doesn't make any sense to me that when I buy a car or bike, I pay taxes at the time of purchase (or rather, they're figured into the loan amount, so I pay them as I pay for the car/bike). But I've never understood how it's fair that I have to pay taxes on that car/bike every year when I go to renew my tags. It's stupid. I'm already paying a tax for buying the car/bike, now I have to pay just to use/own it???

It may not mean a lot to you guys overseas from the U.S. but I'm a hardcore Democrat...but this is one area where I'm definitely a Republican (and you have no idea how painful that is to say!)

Okay... You guys should spend a year in Norway. Then you could spill your guts about taxation;) I pay roughly 40% of my income in tax every month, I pay a tax on my house and property and I pay a so-called fortune tax (lucky me, my debts exceeds my equities and rated assets:rolleyes:). Businesses pay 14,1% of their employees' salaries in tax and they have to pay an income tax of 28%. Both business and the everyday man and woman have to pay 25% in VAT on allmost any commodity and service. But from this, I get free health care (and free dental care till the age of 18). A minimum of 60% of my average income every year the last years before I retire, will be my pension (governed and payed by the government), I will get payed if I get unemployed (I think the maximum rates are something like 66% of your last years income). I pay a lot, but I also get a lot in return!

Every morning going to work, I have to pay a toll fee of about 2,50$. But I'm satisfied with this. It gives people an incentive to use public transportation, hence the roads aren't filled up with that many cars as they otherwise would have been. In my mind, that's great!

In Norway we pay roughly a Euro pr litre of gas. 75 cents of it are pure taxation (and remember, our main export goods are oil and gas). This is a form of usage taxation. That's also fine by me, as long as it "gives something back" in terms of environmental benefit. Which it does in some way. Remember that gas is somewhat an inelastic commodity and also a complementary to cars (of course), which again should give an incentive to buy a fuel efficient car. Which again is benefitiary to the environment.

I'm an economist and I trust market mechanisms, but there's no way (disregard the theory of global warming in this context!) that mankind will go on the next few decades without a serious war over scarse resourses if we don't restrain the use of fossile fuels. In that regard, I believe the best way to try to prevent that, is to implement usage taxation in order to encourage reasearch and implementation of alternative fuels.

For the record: I believe in the theory of global warming (it's happened many times in the past), but I'm not that sure if it's all our fault. But that's not the point. Energywars, on the other hand, will be inevitable if we keep going at this rate.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been lurking for a while and thought it was about time I gave something back. I've had my new FZ6 for a few months now and have done a few mods already that I thought I'd share with y'all.

I'm listing all my mods/upgrades on my website here sangera2.com along with details on my bike and other bits and pieces.

The first is the fender eliminator. I got it fitted new with the bike because then the price was added to the 0% finance deal I got. I ordered the Yamaha one but it was actually made by R&G (don't know if anyone else has noticed this).

At first I wasn't sure if it was worth the £50, but it looks great and if you compare it to the original one, it totally changes the look of the rear of the bike. The number plate is moved up and forwards a great deal from the original position. Also, it uses LEDs for the light and will save me a few watts.

Anyway, on with the pic-whoring. Just click on the thumbnail images to see larger views.

From the rear (the manky white reflecter they stuck on, I've since replaced it with two smaller ones on the number plate itself):-

A nice side view:-

A bit of a closeup:-

Here you can see the original fender (I made sure they gave it to me with the bike):-

A very poor picture in the garage comparing them:-

Another comparison from the side:-
Nice one mate,

You should really consider some frame sliders though?

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay... You guys should spend a year in Norway. Then you could spill your guts about taxation;) I pay roughly 40% of my income in tax every month, I pay a tax on my house and property and I pay a so-called fortune tax (lucky me, my debts exceeds my equities and rated assets:rolleyes:). Businesses pay 14,1% of their employees' salaries in tax and they have to pay an income tax of 28%. Both business and the everyday man and woman have to pay 25% in VAT on allmost any commodity and service. But from this, I get free health care (and free dental care till the age of 18). A minimum of 60% of my average income every year the last years before I retire, will be my pension (governed and payed by the government), I will get payed if I get unemployed (I think the maximum rates are something like 66% of your last years income). I pay a lot, but I also get a lot in return!

Every morning going to work, I have to pay a toll fee of about 2,50$. But I'm satisfied with this. It gives people an incentive to use public transportation, hence the roads aren't filled up with that many cars as they otherwise would have been. In my mind, that's great!

In Norway we pay roughly a Euro pr litre of gas. 75 cents of it are pure taxation (and remember, our main export goods are oil and gas). This is a form of usage taxation. That's also fine by me, as long as it \\"gives something back\\" in terms of environmental benefit. Which it does in some way. Remember that gas is somewhat an inelastic commodity and also a complementary to cars (of course), which again should give an incentive to buy a fuel efficient car. Which again is benefitiary to the environment.

I'm an economist and I trust market mechanisms, but there's no way (disregard the theory of global warming in this context!) that mankind will go on the next few decades without a serious war over scarse resourses if we don't restrain the use of fossile fuels. In that regard, I believe the best way to try to prevent that, is to implement usage taxation in order to encourage reasearch and implementation of alternative fuels.

For the record: I believe in the theory of global warming (it's happened many times in the past), but I'm not that sure if it's all our fault. But that's not the point. Energywars, on the other hand, will be inevitable if we keep going at this rate.

Some very interesting points raised here. This might go better in the Politics thread?

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been lurking for a while and thought it was about time I gave something back. I've had my new FZ6 for a few months now and have done a few mods already that I thought I'd share with y'all.

I'm listing all my mods/upgrades on my website here sangera2.com along with details on my bike and other bits and pieces.

The first is the fender eliminator. I got it fitted new with the bike because then the price was added to the 0% finance deal I got. I ordered the Yamaha one but it was actually made by R&G (don't know if anyone else has noticed this).

At first I wasn't sure if it was worth the £50, but it looks great and if you compare it to the original one, it totally changes the look of the rear of the bike. The number plate is moved up and forwards a great deal from the original position. Also, it uses LEDs for the light and will save me a few watts.

Anyway, on with the pic-whoring. Just click on the thumbnail images to see larger views.

From the rear (the manky white reflecter they stuck on, I've since replaced it with two smaller ones on the number plate itself):-

A nice side view:-

A bit of a closeup:-

Here you can see the original fender (I made sure they gave it to me with the bike):-

A very poor picture in the garage comparing them:-

Another comparison from the side:-
Hi Mate,

I am not dissing ya, I have thought about a fender eliminator. The size of our standard and legal plates really negates the effectiveness. IMHO.

I can see the benefit on a smaller plate but where I live the Police like to pull up undersized plates.

Nelly

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i think i might get an fe kit and take my chances with a smaller plate..my drz had a plate the size of a postage stamp and the worlds loudest FMF system (not for road use) ..the police around here dont pay that much attention..i was stuck in a traffic jam next to a traffic car on a bypass .burning up behind my tinted visor with paronia ..he looked over and asked me to lift my visor by this time i was ready to have the riot act read to me but instead he complimented my bike,we chatted for about a minute or two in the slow moving traffic.. a very surreal moment

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice one mate,

You should really consider some frame sliders though?

Nelly
Yeah. I've got some lovely R&G Aero ones sat in the garage right now along with some flushomounts. I just don't have the time to fit them. Spent my limited free time at the weekend swapping over my heated grips and fitting a relay and fender extenda.

Hi Mate,

I am not dissing ya, I have thought about a fender eliminator. The size of our standard and legal plates really negates the effectiveness. IMHO.

I can see the benefit on a smaller plate but where I live the Police like to pull up undersized plates.

Nelly
I just wanted the bring the plate closer and higher to the rear of the bike really and get rid of the hunk underneath. The good thing about our plates is that they stop most of the crap without needing a mudguard underneath it!