My dad dropped my bike...

pfluta

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, new to the group...

While i was away for work, my dad tried to move my bike while it was locked and dropped it on the right side (yeah, he doesn't know **** about bikes). Broke the mirror, bent the rear brake pedal and looks like bent the handlebars. I'm really f@#king pissed right now so haven't looked more closely at anything else.

Any suggestions on other things I should look for and/or replace? Should i trailer it to the dealer?

New bike, '09 dark blue with 700 miles on it. What a nice welcome home...

Thanks, pfluta

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, new to the group...

While i was away for work, my dad tried to move my bike while it was locked and dropped it on the right side (yeah, he doesn't know **** about bikes). Broke the mirror, bent the rear brake pedal and looks like bent the handlebars. I'm really f@#king pissed right now so haven't looked more closely at anything else.

Any suggestions on other things I should look for and/or replace? Should i trailer it to the dealer?

Thanks, pfluta

Okay....Take a deep breath.....That's better!!!! Now :welcome: to the best forum!

We have a great group of people here.

Okay take another deep breath. There is nothing worth being that pissed at dad. Okay..he effed up but...

These bikes are tough. A handle bar is one of the cheaper things. I've straightened bent pedals.

Again :welcome:!!!!

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bet 500 bucks your dad didn't mean to bend your baby, but I know how you feel. My wife dropped my bike last fall and scratched the crud out of a few things, I wish it wouldnt have happened, but I couldn't be mad at her for it. She didn't do it on purpose and she didn't get hurt too badly either. I had frame sliders on and the damage would have been lots worser without them! (hint hint, sliders are worth the cash) Brake pedals will bend back and you can get a new mirror for cheap either here or flea-bay. Same with bars if they are bent too badly. You shouldn't have to trailer it to get it fixed though . Good luck and...:welcome:

Last edited:

TSi Fly

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, new to the group...

Thanks, pfluta

Thats like child abuse that is, theres a law about that an everything, you could have issues now an need therapy.
Bit of British humour there, seriously he didn't mean it and probably feels really bad. easy to fix up a bike, relationships are much harder.
As others have posted, 2nd hand spares are easily available for your bike so it shouldn't cost a fortune.
:welcome:

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
... Brake levers will bend back ...:

Just my own opinion but I'd never bend back a brake lever (or clutch lever). I fear it'd be weakened and if you slam it in an emergency braking situation you wouldn't want it to snap. There was a few thread on the form about levers snapping and causing the reider to rear end someone.

Oh, and :welcome:

Image of Dad playing while son is away = :mikebike:

Shinleung

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Sorry to hear that.

I don't think handle bars bend so easily though.
When I dropped my bike a few years ago I thought the bar was bent but it wasn't. It was just the feeling that it was bent.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As has been said, it sucks that it got dropped, but I'm sure your Dad didn't do it on purpose. Why did he need to move it, was it blocking the driveway or something???

Just my own opinion but I'd never bend back a brake lever (or clutch lever). I fear it'd be weakened and if you slam it in an emergency braking situation you wouldn't want it to snap. There was a few thread on the form about levers snapping and causing the reider to rear end someone.

The OP said it was the brake pedal, they're pretty tough and could be bent back into position easily, I'd do it rather than replace it. Lever's.. yeah, I'd probably replace... I use them a lot more than the rear brake.

:rockon:

keef

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear that your bike was dropped. As everyone else said your dad did not do it on purpose and am betting that he is feeling just as bad.

You could always use this as a perfect opportunity to hang out with your dad.
Get some frame sliders, new bar, ect and ask your dad to help you fix the bike!

:welcome:

pfluta

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies...

Yeah, i know it was an accident, but i'm still annoyed. He rarely shows respect for things that he doesn't get, like owning a bike. Anyways, he didn't realize that it was that heavy, nor that the wheel was locked. Guess i'm more annoyed that he didn't take the time to figure out how to move it, like take off the cover and sit on it first.

The handlebar is definitely bent so i'll replace it. No major scratches cause the cover was on and it happened in the garage.

I need to go ride to now to relax...anybody in the Ruidoso NM area want a tour of the area let me know!

Cheers
:ban: my dad from approaching within 10 feet of my bike!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site

Oh, and :welcome:

Image of Dad playing while son is away = :mikebike:

Totally agree about bending levers is not a good idea. Aluminum is very weak once bent 2X. Levers are fairly inexpensive.. better to replace and have piece of mind

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped my bike in the garage 2 years ago and I know that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. It was after a long ride on a cold day and I was trying to roll the bike into my garage. I leaned the bike over a bit too far and it just got away from me. I scratched my right mirror, bar end and bent the rear brake pedal. I removed and painted the bar end (looks new), lightly sanded the right mirror edge and touched it up with a Sharpie (looks new) and bent the brake pedal (can't even tell what happened) BTW, the brake pedal is steel so there's no danger of straightening it back out. A brake or clutch lever is a different story, and I would certainly replace one of them if bent.

It shouldn't be too expensive or troublesome to get your bike back into fighting shape, and you won't even be able to tell it was dropped.

Last edited:

no.1partsguy

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear your story man, really sucks. But you have to look on the bright side of everything, now would be the perfect time to do the FZ1 handlebar swap... gets me thinking might have to "accidently" bend mine so I can get the new bars. In any case your in good company here.:thumbup:

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
A worse situation to consider:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niNrw4qwk8s]YouTube - mustang crash[/ame]

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't feel too bad. I dropped my FZ onto my dad's NEW '09 FZ last year(in the garage). Imagine the horror I felt as it crashed into his! Seriously, the first thing I thought when I failed to save it and it hit his was, "no!! Not his new bike!!". LOL Luckily, my front fairing crashed into the passenger peg on his FZ, and the only damage was my fairing stay got slightly bent. It was after work, and I wanted to work on the bike, when I was too tired, and should've left it alone. I tried to move the bike a bit further away to gain some room, and the kickstand just flipped up, and it was too much weight for me, and over it went! Good times, good times.....

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the best forum around!

Never like to hear someone had there bike dropped.

My question is, who is paying for parts and repairs?