My bike, makes a noise

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I get the same noise at about the same RPM.

Just checked the chain, in spec. I'll check the clutch lever.

But from spending a lot of time on these forums, this seems to be the norm on the Fz6, not the exception.

Scorp

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a similar sound occasionally. I notice it mainly in 3rd gear when I'm cruising at a constant speed - with the rpm's kept steady somewhere between 6,000 - 7,000 rpm's.

I first noticed it when I was holding the throttle steady at about 6,500 rpm's (give or take) and it was a quick whining sound and gone, it held a steady yet strange pitch. I heard it for maybe a full second or two before I thought to myself "what the hell?"

as soon as i rolled off the throttle it stopped. I have noticed this sound since then a few times when accelerating through the 6 - 7,000 rpm range in 3rd gear mainly. That one time only though I had that perfect spot on the throttle and in the perfect gear to make the sound and hold it so I could get a listen.

The best i could describe it as is a whine. Not like a high pitched whistle, but like a higher than normal pitched whine for a brief time. I'm not sure if this is the same sound, but it sounds like it.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread to see if anything develops and if I should be worried. My thoughts are that under a very specific set of circumstances, with just the right amount of air and fuel, at the perfect speed, in 3rd gear, a certain (engine?) vibration occurs creating a strange pitched sound.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but still have much to learn. That is the best analysis I could do of the sound I hear occasionally on my fizz.

Last edited:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I put some pressure on my clutch while riding and that made the annoying vibrating sound go away, which means I can now hear the fuel injection (I think thats what I'm hearing) labouring, making an almost pulsing sound, normal or not anyone? Been having issues with the bike not idling nicely and surging on a steady throttle so am wondering whether the injection might be fouled/blocked

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
i think i figured out what my rattling was...not sure yet, but i cannot hear it anymore (2 days)

the helmet lock was open, and probably was rattling, i secured it and now the noise is apparently gone. :eek:

jecht_sphere

Reaction score
Visit site
i think i figured out what my rattling was...not sure yet, but i cannot hear it anymore (2 days)

the helmet lock was open, and probably was rattling, i secured it and now the noise is apparently gone. :eek:

ha ha ha. that's funny:)

seriously. i dont have this problem in my bike yet.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree about some benign accessory rattle...

One time I got really nervous about a very unnatural and LOUD rattle...
It was my GPS mount while the GPS wasn't in it... I put my hand on it and it went away... SO goddamn LOUD...

mattheww1

Reaction score
Visit site
so i have had an 08 fz6n for 3 months now.
Clocked up 8,000 km.

And recently, as i accelerate in 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc and it gets to 8,000rpm.
I hear a high pitched engine noise.

After 8,000 it dissapears.
But its doesnt sound like natural engine noise.
Rather somthing is loose or is about to break.

Thoughts?

ok guys this is something every fz6 has, thought it was funny to stumble across this thread again, it appears all over and over and over!
This engine ticking, rattling tazer type noise actually got me to join the forum! I have since discovered its the engine injectors switching on and of and will do it in every gear and when warm will do it at idle if you get down beside the engine when it is running! Dont worry about it... Just listen out for it, your fz6 singing to its owner!!! ;)
yes its annoying but nothing can really be done to sort it there just noisey

ptastuart

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys

I have been searching for a solution to this. It's also driving me crazy.

It's almost like a plastic buzzing noise. Mine is exactly at 8000 rpm.

I doubt it is the engine injectors.

delafz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I too hear a "ringing/vibrating" noise riding. No idea where it comes from but its on the left side. Im gonna go take some wrenches out tomorrow and tighten everything up.

eberry2001

Reaction score
Visit site
mine does it to exactly at 8000 rpm. Thought it might be the plastic radiator cover, but havent tried taking it off yet. Im relieved to here its not just me. The sounds makes me either rev down or up to make it go away.

cdnSTIG

Reaction score
Visit site
my bike started to make the buzzing/ rattling noise and i remembered this thread.

after some investigation i found out it was my handle bar clamp. it wasnt loose and it wasnt broken. i have no idea why it was making this noise. to test if your bike is making this noise just grab it while riding. if the noise goes away this is your problem.

to get the noise to stop i took off the bar clamp and filled the inside of it with rtv silicone. this stops it from making any noise.

hope this helps.

jimbuck

Reaction score
Visit site
guys i saw this and i think i may try to help since av had same experience,the sound might be the front cylinder tensioner which is just below the tank...fazer uses the automatic tensioner which wears out if you are used to closing the throttle at high rpm

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you know what doesnt help "tailgate"

useless "smilies"
Chill Brother,
There is no malice meant from tailgate. unfortunately we don't have a sound clip smiley.
A sound clip would certainly aid the helpful posters in trying to identify your sound.
I spent £200.00 trying to have a noise identified on my FZ6. In the end Yamaha UK sent a Tech along with a stethoscope. My noise started at 3500 rpm and was noticeable until about 5000 rpm. It was a really annoying ticking / tapping noise. It was diagnosed as the injectors rattling and was not deemed to be a major issue by Yamaha.

Good luck with finding the fault.

Nelly

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
last week in the moutains i noticed a sound in 3rd gear as i twisted the throttle, it was like a SHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh then went away as i gained rpms. i think it was the injectors.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A useful post indeed. . . .

Try spreading your legs while riding! :eek:
Right leg out, no change. Left leg out, you can noticeable hear the chain. Leg in, much quieter.

Run the chain on the loose side of the spec and keep it lubed well it'll be much happier!

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike makes a noise too. I made a clip of it:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isj0oBjfrxE]Riding On My Suzuki - Official Music Video - YouTube[/ame]

My bike is very talented.