My bike, makes a noise

b3nje909

Reaction score
Visit site
SO I have had an 08 fz6n for 3 months now.
Clocked up 8,000 km.

And recently, as I accelerate in 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc and it gets to 8,000rpm.
I hear a high pitched engine noise.

after 8,000 it dissapears.
but its doesnt sound like natural engine noise.
rather somthing is loose or is about to break.

thoughts?

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
SO I have had an 08 fz6n for 3 months now.
Clocked up 8,000 km.

And recently, as I accelerate in 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc and it gets to 8,000rpm.
I hear a high pitched engine noise.

after 8,000 it dissapears.
but its doesnt sound like natural engine noise.
rather somthing is loose or is about to break.

thoughts?

wow..
i just reached the 9000km mark, and i get a strange high pitched rattling noise (possibly from the left side, not sure since i'm riding the bike) when i reach 6000rpm, and it dissapears after 7000rpm.. it does sound like metals rubbing with poor lubrication but oil wise the bike is full

cant help you with your problem, but maybe im suffering from the same.

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
wow..
i just reached the 9000km mark, and i get a strange high pitched rattling noise (possibly from the left side, not sure since i'm riding the bike) when i reach 6000rpm, and it dissapears after 7000rpm.. it does sound like metals rubbing with poor lubrication but oil wise the bike is full

cant help you with your problem, but maybe im suffering from the same.

Your clutch lever may be vibrating. Just touch your lever with your fingers to see if the rattling goes away.

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does is seem as though it's a rattle in the exhaust headers, as if one of them isn't bolted on tight enough?

Because mine has always done that between 6,000-8,000rpm since I bought it. There is nothing wrong with mine, but its annoying that 'rattle'

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
There is something about the primary in that it whines under acceleration. On my bike it is most noticeable when in fourth gear. I asked the dealer about this after the first 500 or so kms. They said it was normal operation and that the FZ1 was typically louder. I am sure that there are others here that have noticed this.
Could this be what it is that you are hearing?

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Ideally, one could do a recording that includes audio and post it up on YouTube so we could hear exactly what you're talking about. Maybe Forum moderators/website master could also include a "This post is worthless without "sound" simile?:needpics:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Funnily enough I get exactly the same thing and it sounds like it comes from under the front of the tank, or somewhere in that vicinity, its very annoying but isn't there at higher rev's.
Have been trying to figure out what it is with no luck

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a vibration (or maybe it's in my head that I can slightly feel it) right around 7k rpms as well. It too will stop once you pass 8k or so on the tach. I became aware of it after I made my first video and posted it here. I wouldn't recommend using my video to try and hear it, cuz well, the audio in it is crappy. But there is a point where the sound on the video becomes unbearable. I haven't tried another video yet simply because I haven't upgraded my camera or mount yet.

I've tried (in the realm of my comfort of doing so) moving my left hand to cover various pieces of the bike hoping it will stop the sound, but I haven't had any luck. It also doesn't seem to do it when the bike is idling and you crank it up to 7k rpms. Hmm...and here I thought it was just me :)

segue00

Burrrppppp, aaaaaahhhh
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike makes noise, too. It goes "weeeeeeeeeee." Oh, wait, that's me when the rpm hits 8k.:D

Check the clutch lever play
Check the chain tension
Check oil level. My bike runs quieter and gears shift smoother with 3/4 level on the dipstick.

Afterthought: Check the radiator's plastic guard, also. It might be rattling.

Last edited:

segue00

Burrrppppp, aaaaaahhhh
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Put it on the centerstand and see if it happens when you throttle up in gear. You might be able to pinpoint what's grinding. Be careful that the bike don't take off on you.

Have you checked the chain, tension and sprockets?

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I need to fix my chain tension, its shockingly bad, it has a takeup point, particularly when going over bumps although that might be because the suspension is too... soft?
But thats definately not what causes the sound I hear, might check the radiator guard, and the clutch

goanookie

Reaction score
Gent - Belgium, Paris - France, Oslo - Norway, Gro
Visit site
Yep indeed, same thing with my FZ6-N S2 from 2008, around 8k rpm you'll get an annoying vibration. Rev'it up a bit and no more vibration, too bad 8k is just around cruising speed on the highway ...

Anyway my previous bike, a CB900 from 2003 had the same thing, around 6k rpm an annoying vibration. Some other and different forum user told me that it is quite normal for a motorcycle to have engine vibration at x rpm.

So I bought the FZ6 in april and have done 15k Km since then :innocent:
You could also use the higher rpm's :)

Greetz
Peter

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike makes a noise too but that is just my Scorps screaming.:D J/K... I hope you get it figured out.