My bike has 0.3 miles on it, I dropped it, and now it won't start. HELP!!

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Ya think? I know a couple of folks that won't ride their new bike home. Rather they trailer it due to superstition. I have yet to figure than one out.

I trailered it home. I didn't even fire it up to load it into the truck.

The reason? The ride home would have been 40 miles in rush hour traffic on the interstate, on an unfamiliar machine.

A. That's a recipe for disaster.

B. That's a horrible way to break in a fresh engine. It would have either been droning along at one speed or sitting stopped. (Turns out I would have sat stopped for several hours, I-35 was a mess!) The next day I did a proper break-in while there was little to no traffic to get in the way.

Fred

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some other member may have already mentioned this, but I didn't see it so you should start with the basics. Since it's a new bike, is there fuel? Secondly, the bike will not start if the kickstand is down, unless it's in neutral. You probably have the bike running again by now, I hope.

teslas

Reaction score
Visit site
I still can't believe I dropped my brand new bike! :banghead: I've never spent so much money on anything before... I just might cry myself to sleep tonight.:( F my life.

I hear you mate. No sooner did i have my new YZF600R delivered to my house then I was on my way (first day) to pick up some frame sliders. Backing the bike out of the driveway (it was a slope) the engine stalled and I felt the bike tipping. ACK! I watched in slow motion as my bike slowly tipped over. I did all I could but i was not strong enough to keep it up. OH how those first scratches hurt!!! That is a mistake I did not want to make again.

R

Raid The Revenge

If you teach a bird to fly, it won't come back to tell you about it anytime soon...

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
This switch has no reset.

Good to know!

Funny thing is, I've lowsided and the bike started right up. I've also crashed in a way that left the bike completely upside down (resting on the handlebars and seat in the grass) and both times the bike fired right up.

There's nothing like tipping your bike over onto its side first so that you can proceed pick it up!!!

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Everyone drops their bike at some point. Look at it this way, you got it over with and can stop worrying.

Is the bike running again?

Fred

thealiasofMarc

Reaction score
Visit site
Replies to several, and some new details...

No, I haven't got it running yet, I haven't had a chance to get back out there yet. It was in the 30's last night and this morning, and right now I am in class...

There is definitely fuel in the tank, and it isn't the sidestand switch (been trying to start it in N) and it isn't the engine stop switch (I'm very much in the habit of turning it on and off everytime I ride). Plus, the rapid clicking sound leads me to believe that the proper voltage isn't reaching the starter...

Other possible factors I hadn't mentioned before--
  1. the guy who helped me pick the bike up (some dude who was driving by) noticed that there was a small amount of fluid leaking when the bike was on it's side ? He said he thought it might be fuel or something, but the tank was unscathed, it didn't smell like fuel (could have even been water since it had rained that morning). As far as I can tell no hoses were loosened or anything, so I don't know. I'll check for that again.
  1. Another thing that might be worth mentioning is that I think when I first tried starting it, it was actually turning over (very weakly), like it didn't have enough juice. Then as I tried a few more times, all I got was clicking after that. The clicking though isn't like a single "Click, Click" each time I hit the starter button, it is instead a rapid-fire, machine gun like clicking.
Hopefully it's something I can resolve myself without much additional effort, and/or something that will be covered under warranty.

I'm even more nervous about getting on this bike again after this incident, I might just wait till my frame sliders come next week. I've also thought about taking a belt sander to my new tires to rough them up a bit! (if I actually had one) I guess you can't lean the bike over until the tires are "broken-in"?? It was the weirdest thing, I entered the corner and then realized that I just had no traction at the back wheel. :( I guess it'll be a while before I can throw this bike around like I do with the little Ninja.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
push it as far up the hill towards the visitors parking as you can (go diagnol)

put the bike in N and get on it

turn key to ON/RUN position

run w/ the bike under you (if you're tall enough)...i.e., push the bike as fast as you can (10 MPH should do it)

QUICKLY!: kick it into 2nd, dump the clutch, and thumb the starter

You may also need to be prepared to work the clutch and the throttle to get the engine going and/or prevent it from stahling, and/or prevent yourself from crashing!

this can also be done on flat ground by yourself but it helps to have a friend push you.

IMHO, everyone should know how to do this for safety reasons.

Next steps...get some frame sliders and post some pictures of the damage.
Nice explanation Defy, I have never had to hit the starter button though, and it has still worked with the run switch on.
Also going back to your earlier response. When I dropped my bike last year and did my tank mod. It would not start at all. I thought that I had killed it. I disconected the battery as you have sugested and it re-set itself.

Neil

teslas

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as sanding goes, I just put the bike on its centerstand and went after the tires with 150 grit sandpaper and some elbow grease.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice explanation Defy, I have never had to hit the starter button though,

When I dropped my bike last year and did my tank mod. It would not start at all. I thought that I had killed it. I disconected the battery as you have sugested and it re-set itself.

I just hit the starter for good measure and extra cranking power...I usually have to push my bike alone.

Did you by any chance check the diagnostics for the lean angle sensor code before pulling the battery? Hav says it cannot be reset but you seem to think you did just that....? :confused:

it is instead a rapid-fire, machine gun like clicking.

Very common.

I've had this happen twice. Once because my battery connection had come loose, and once because I had run the battery down riding in the rain and then let the bike sit for too long (very low batter).

I could definitly be wrong but I'm thinking a tender or push start followed by a good ride may solve your problems. Worst case you might just need a new battery which hopefully the dealer may cover if the original was shyt.

About the leaking fluid, it was likely fuel from your overflow hose...no worries.

thealiasofMarc

Reaction score
Visit site
Update

Okay, I just went out there with a multitester and checked the voltage on the battery while sitting (high 11's to low 12 V) and then while holding the starter button (6.something Volts). That doesn't seem normal to me somehow. I hooked it up to my car battery and it started right up with a touch of throttle. I then let it run for a good 15-20 min as I took my time putting everything back together and putting away my tools, etc. I put the bike in gear and of course stalled it moving off, and was back to clicking. (Shouldn't the battery have charged up enough in that time to be able to restart?) Anyway, fortunately I had managed to push the bike far enough a hill in my complex last night that I was able to quickly push-start it using the method you guy described to me. (Thanks! :thumbup: - I didn't need to thumb the starter though, just put it in second and let in the clutch hard at about 12mph.)

So I was able to move the bike to where it should be (in visitors parking next to my Ninja) but I'm kind of still in the same boat since it won't start normally... :/ I guess I should remove the battery and have it tested at Autozone or something? Or would they test it at the local dealer? I really don't want to take the bike there unless I have to because: A. It's embarrassing, and B. I didn't buy the bike there, I had it shipped from a dealer 270 miles away...

Why would dropping the bike kill the battery anyway?? It boggles the mind.

Oh, and I think I will try Teslas' sandpaper and elbow grease method (and wait for my sliders to come) before doing any more riding.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just hit the starter for good measure and extra cranking power...I usually have to push my bike alone.

Did you by any chance check the diagnostics for the lean angle sensor code before pulling the battery? Hav says it cannot be reset but you seem to think you did just that....? :confused:

Very common.

I've had this happen twice. Once because my battery connection had come loose, and once because I had run the battery down riding in the rain and then let the bike sit for too long (very low batter).

I could definitly be wrong but I'm thinking a tender or push start followed by a good ride may solve your problems. Worst case you might just need a new battery which hopefully the dealer may cover if the original was shyt.

About the leaking fluid, it was likely fuel from your overflow hose...no worries.
Hi Defy, yep when I dropped my bike I did just disconect the battery. I can't honestly remember if I saw a code on the LCD. I just remember the engine managment light coming on. I had only just read the owners manual and the thought of having to take the bike to an authorised dealer freaked me out. So I went for the re-boot option.
I reckon that the clicking our friend is experiencing is down to low battery charge to.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I just went out there with a multitester and checked the voltage on the battery while sitting (high 11's to low 12 V) and then while holding the starter button (6.something Volts). That doesn't seem normal to me somehow. I hooked it up to my car battery and it started right up with a touch of throttle. I then let it run for a good 15-20 min as I took my time putting everything back together and putting away my tools, etc. I put the bike in gear and of course stalled it moving off, and was back to clicking. (Shouldn't the battery have charged up enough in that time to be able to restart?) Anyway, fortunately I had managed to push the bike far enough a hill in my complex last night that I was able to quickly push-start it using the method you guy described to me. (Thanks! :thumbup: - I didn't need to thumb the starter though, just put it in second and let in the clutch hard at about 12mph.)

So I was able to move the bike to where it should be (in visitors parking next to my Ninja) but I'm kind of still in the same boat since it won't start normally... :/ I guess I should remove the battery and have it tested at Autozone or something? Or would they test it at the local dealer? I really don't want to take the bike there unless I have to because: A. It's embarrassing, and B. I didn't buy the bike there, I had it shipped from a dealer 270 miles away...

Why would dropping the bike kill the battery anyway?? It boggles the mind.

Oh, and I think I will try Teslas' sandpaper and elbow grease method (and wait for my sliders to come) before doing any more riding.
I think that the two instances are not directly related. When you dropped your bike you got the engine safety cut out. Then when you tried to start it you just drained all the juice. You say that there were only a few miles on the bike when delivered so the battery was not tip top. When I have run my battery down in the past I have gone for a really good ride 10 - 20 miles before the charge is good enough for normal riding. So I think that by default you found out that your battery was not up to full charge.

Neil

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
Hook the battery up to a charger. Or take it to Autozone before they can test it they have to charge it. Autozone will check/charge it for free. If you didn't turn the ingnition off when you dropped it that could have done it. I have alway been told a car will not completely charge the battery(don't know if I believe it it was from and automotive teacher so I had to for the test.:) )