my 7yr old on fz

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as he can sit on the bike and touch both footpegs, it's ok in my opinion. (depending on the child of course, and your riding style)

I had my son on the back from seven (ok, nearly eight) and he was fine.

As long as you're safe, and don't put yourself in dangerous situations (leaning it like a twit, with a child on the back) it's ok.

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. On a side note, I picked my son (now 9) up from school last Wednesday, on my bike, and he ASKED to go home via the twisties, instead of the freeway! Took it nice and easy, with a bit of lean (he's ridden with me for over two years now) and he loved it!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My opinion, I think 7 is too young. I would say 12 is about the right age, as long as they are fully geared up with the proper helmet, and not an adults spare helmet that they happen to own.

:)

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My opinion, I think 7 is too young. I would say 12 is about the right age, as long as they are fully geared up with the proper helmet, and not an adults spare helmet that they happen to own.

Definitely proper gear, leather jacket, leather pants, gloves, boots and his OWN helmet. (I don't share helmets - ever)

I suppose it might depend on the child, as my son was mature enough, and I had drummed rider safety into his head from a young age.

Each to his or her own, methinks - in Oz, as long as the child can touch the footpegs, and are at least 7, it is legal.

I appreciate your opinion Kazza, and that may be applicable for the vast majority of kids - I was fortunate enough that my son was mature enough to make it possible.

Cheers,
Rick

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
This is something my shop teacher told me many years ago. He said before you make any decisions in life ask yourself three questions.

Do you really want to do this?

Do you know the consequences if something goes wrong?

Are you willing to pay the price if something goes wrong?

If you answer no to any of these, Don't do it.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
whats ur opinion,should i let him ride with me? or will people frown :don'tknow:
I would say 7 is a bit young.
Other than Moto X gear its difficult to find decent gear to correctly fit a child of that age.
My son was 9 when I took him on the back.
It's up to you and your family to make a decision. Good luck and safe riding.

Nelly

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

That's probably because your one of those "bubble wrap my kids" type mom... Kids need to experience things and take chances sometimes in order to become a fully functioning adult... Taking some risks is what makes one succeed in life... 7 is fine, just take the proper percautions...

"It's the presence of wolves that make deer swift and strong, not there absence..."

Cheers
Richard

Last edited:

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with Kazza, 12 is a good age. I took my son to his grandpa's on the bike when he was 10. He has his own helmet and jacket. There is a two mile stretch that we get to highway speeds to get there. He became really restless and wouldn't sit still. I asked him what he was doing and he replied "I was looking for a place to jump off!" He didn't ride on the bike for another year and a half!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check this out: Moto-Grip

Combined with this.. supposed to be great for kids: Moto-Grip Jr.

Quite pricey, but may be worth it for someone who wants to take their kid out on the bike more than once.

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
my premature offspring ride with me between the seat and the gas tank... i don't have any offspring with legs yet, just tails...:BLAA:

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
The most recent issue of Motorcyclist actually addressed this question -- one of the author's takes his (?)-year old (young - 9?) on his bike with him. He has a harness that the kid wears to prevent him from falling off - looks kinda neat.

When I get home, I'll check the issue more closely and give details - unless someone beats me to it!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The most recent issue of Motorcyclist actually addressed this question -- one of the author's takes his (?)-year old (young - 9?) on his bike with him. He has a harness that the kid wears to prevent him from falling off - looks kinda neat.

When I get home, I'll check the issue more closely and give details - unless someone beats me to it!

Yeah.. that's the harness I posted links to above :)

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Check this out: Moto-Grip

Combined with this.. supposed to be great for kids: Moto-Grip Jr.

Quite pricey, but may be worth it for someone who wants to take their kid out on the bike more than once.

this rig is a pretty good idea, but i wouldn't trust the life/lives of my child/children to 2 plastic "E" clamps, just for the reason that if it breaks there wont be enough time to grab hold elsewhere. when i was little my dad always wore a belt so i could hold that as well as the hand grip on the side.

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's probably because your one of those "bubble wrap my kids" type mom... Kids need to experience things and take chances sometimes in order to become a fully functioning adult... Taking some risks is what makes one succeed in life... 7 is fine, just take the proper percautions...

"It's the presence of wolves that make deer swift and strong, not there absence..."

Cheers
Richard

This is a thread for opinions. Ours differ. I'm not a mum at all. I had my nephew on a dirt bike with me at 7 on DIRT not on the ROAD with dumb cagers. I am not a "bubble wrap", as you put it, aunty.
Don't make assumptions about people if you don't agree with their opinions.
I just think 7 is too young on the road

We beg to differ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
whats ur opinion,should i let him ride with me? or will people frown :don'tknow:
Don't worry about other people frowning at you. Do your own thing. You asked for opinions and you'll get many different ones.

In the end it's what you feel right about and comfortable with. Our opinions don't really count for anything.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Kids need to experience things and take chances sometimes in order to become a fully functioning adult... Taking some risks is what makes one succeed in life...

I agree with the sentiment, but not the age suggestion, and not in this context.

I'm a dad of two myself. As a parent I encourage my kids to take risks so they can learn what risk means, the reward they might get, or the consequences they might have to bear, in a controlled environment. That way, when they inevitably make bad decisions (which leads to experience, which then leads to better decisions) they haven't done something catastrophic or irreversible.

Riding is not a controlled environment. Consequences could be both catastrophic and irreversible. Young kids have no way of processing the risk/reward tradeoff sensibly yet. The decision to ride pillion, and the consequences if things go wrong, is not something they can even begin to accept responsibility for. The decision, and responsibility for the consequences, are mine, and mine alone.

As a parent, estimating my own kids' ability to hang on and ride safely, my take for the age suggested by the OP has been: NO.

Everyone's kids are different though, and only the parent is in a good place to make the call on whether or not they're mature enough to do this effectively.

If they are old enough to introduce to the fun of riding together, rock on! :rockon: I look forward to the day myself, when I can share this with them.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I suppose for a bit of clarity I should say, I only took my son on the back of the bike in town, 4kms from school, across one set of lights, until he was 9 1/2.

Then, we rode to Emu Park, from Rockhampton (50kms) and he was fine.

He always held on to me, and had a ball!

Cheers,
Rick