Msf course today

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
So Today I had took the first part of my MSF course today. I really learned a lot and would recommend it to everybody. I had a lot of fun learning the things I need to know to ride a motorcycle safely. I didnt quite know how much exactly I had learned from the forums as well. I was able to answer alot or even most of the questions asked from reading of other members posts on what to do and not to do. I would like to thank the forum members for this. I would also like o share that I passed the written part of the exam with a perfect score and have my skills test tomorrow morning. I believe I should do well. If I pass I will recieve a waiver for the DMV and I will officially have my license :D. So i Just felt like sharing how the MSF course is great and the instructors are great people. Highly recommended

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i really enjoyed taking the BRC too. and it has saved me a few times. i think next year i'm going to look at taking the ERC. i still practice some of the things from 3 years ago (practiced the figure 8 today) but i'm sure i could use the watchful eye of an instructor pointing out bad habits i've developed in the last few years.

well, good luck to you. looking forward to the good news.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure you will do fine in the skills test. It's already things you practiced earlier anyways, nothing new.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
So I failed my skills test today...I have no idea how I did it but i dropped the bike on the figure 8. I was doing it perfect all day and when it counted it just dropped. One second it was up the next im on the ground. I am so frustrated with myself because i was doing so well. I get another chance on monday though. Hopefully I will do better

crabby117

Reaction score
Visit site
So I failed my skills test today...I have no idea how I did it but i dropped the bike on the figure 8. I was doing it perfect all day and when it counted it just dropped. One second it was up the next im on the ground. I am so frustrated with myself because i was doing so well. I get another chance on monday though. Hopefully I will do better

Doh! Second time's a charm, right? Don't let it rattle you. Keep your eyes on the prize, er, I mean the horizon. ;)

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Just remember, you are better off putting a foot down or crossing a line than dropping the bike.

May the force be with you.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site

Youll make a comeback man... Mott Haven?? or Ulster??

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
...Just remember, you are better off putting a foot down or crossing a line than dropping the bike.

It may not matter here. When I took the course any foot down = fail.

A note of oddity... we took our test using cones that were used for the Truck driving school and sure enough I kick one (on the swerve test on the way in). A big discussion took place between the instructors and they felt the cone was not a standard cone for motorcycles. This time not so aggressive I repeated that particular test and passed.

Learn from it and you'll pass next time.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nerves... get ya every time. Relax on Monday and just flow through it. If you have to save a drop by hitting a line, take that opportunity. Hitting the line is a deduction you can still pass with. Good luck! I'm sure you'll not make the same mistake twice!

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. It would be nice if i was able to practice a little before monday but i cant. I used my bicycle yesterday to see what I could have done wrong. I think I turned my head too much causing me to turn thebars to far and the bike fell. The thing thats making me mad is that I know i should have just put my foot down. O well. Lesson learned

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. It would be nice if i was able to practice a little before monday but i cant. I used my bicycle yesterday to see what I could have done wrong. I think I turned my head too much causing me to turn thebars to far and the bike fell. The thing thats making me mad is that I know i should have just put my foot down. O well. Lesson learned

When you are going that slow and turning that tight, you need to counterweight (shift your butt opposite the turn). You do need to turn your head and the handlebars when going slow.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
When you are going that slow and turning that tight, you need to counterweight (shift your butt opposite the turn). You do need to turn your head and the handlebars when going slow.

I was counter weighting. I think maybe i lost power to the wheels (holding the clutch in too much). I'll figure it out though.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
It may not matter here. When I took the course any foot down = fail.

A note of oddity... we took our test using cones that were used for the Truck driving school and sure enough I kick one (on the swerve test on the way in). A big discussion took place between the instructors and they felt the cone was not a standard cone for motorcycles. This time not so aggressive I repeated that particular test and passed.

Learn from it and you'll pass next time.

In the MSF ridng skills test, a foot down or cone hit is just points, not instant failure. Three things can cause instant failure:
1. Falling or dropping the motorcycle
2. Commit an intentional unsafe act
3. Not bribing your instructor :justkidding:

For state BMV testing it may be different where you live. In Indiana, a foot down or cone hit = points, not failure.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just remember, you are better off putting a foot down or crossing a line than dropping the bike.

May the force be with you.

Agreed! Dropping or falling off the bike on the skills test, you're pretty much done. Just remember, during the box test, no matter how many times you cross the line or put your foot down, you cannot accumulate no more than 8 pts which still leaves you with a 12 point cushion to pass.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry for you. I failed my ride test the first time back in 73. Just pratice all day on Sun for the test. Pratice so much that you will dream about it Sunday night, and don't let it get you down. You'll be riding soon.

Doc