Mounting tires without tools* (and other tire tips)

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
:eek: Dude put down and step away from the WD40...you are asking for trouble...get yourself some....

Nope, I no longer accept WD40 hate. It works great for a lot of things and I've never regretted using it. It isn't perfect for everything, but it's way more useful than the experts seem to think.

I guess for fun, I'll ask... Why shouldn't I use it in this application? Is it supposed to deteriorate my tires? I use it every time I mount new tread and my tires last 12-14K miles without any problems. Rim paint? That doesn't seem to be affected. Not a lubricant? Oh well, it sure is slippery.

And really... $18-20 for a gallon of crap i use once every two years? Nah... my $3.99 can of WD40 is a much smarter buy for me.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dsc01808-sm.jpg

Is this where you got your name? >teeter :welcome:

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
Even if it were 100lb of weight on the header it's solid and will be fine. You will not crush or distort them as the as the center stand is taking 85% of the load. I did the fork swap on round of Cedar so smelled good too!

As for seating the bead, it should nearly seat itself on that little rim. A hand tire pump should be a good work out tho! lol I wonder how many of these :iconbeer: we can collectively put down in the time it takes to pump it up? lol

Good to know on the headers. Actually seating the bead on both tires took 20lbs or really just under. Just FYI, the first 20lbs in the rear takes no time.....the next 16 or so take freaking forever!

I'm able to spoon a tubed and tube-less tire on and off a rim.
I use 3 tire levers, rim savers and a c-clamp to break the bead.

This is how I got started, plus countless vids on youtube:
Neduro's Tire Changing Class - ADVrider

The c-clamp has to be used to get the tire past the inner safety bead and into the cavity.

i like teeters idea with the straps, but putting the tire on is easy enough. the hard part is spooning the tire off the final bead. if the tire has a very stiff sidewall it can be a pita to do. usually more soap will help.
i can almost do it without any scratches on the rim.....

I was able to remove and install both front and rear tires on the wheels using nothing but the zip ties, windex, and hard work.......zero scratches.

HOWEVER........removing the front tire with zip ties, eh not SO bad but took some effort. Took a few minutes. Putting it on with zip ties? very easy. Removing the REAR tire using zip ties? I don't know, probably took me a solid 30 minutes of fighting that "breaking point" on the tire. It was much tougher than I anticipated. Putting the rear on was tougher than putting the front on, but not bad at all.....maybe took me 3 minutes of fighting that breaking point.

Teeter, I hope I didn't post too much in your thread. I just figured I'd interject my experience since I'm trying something very similar at the same time.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know on the headers. Actually seating the bead on both tires took 20lbs or really just under. Just FYI, the first 20lbs in the rear takes no time.....the next 16 or so take freaking forever!

I was able to remove and install both front and rear tires on the wheels using nothing but the zip ties, windex, and hard work.......zero scratches.

HOWEVER........removing the front tire with zip ties, eh not SO bad but took some effort. Took a few minutes. Putting it on with zip ties? very easy. Removing the REAR tire using zip ties? I don't know, probably took me a solid 30 minutes of fighting that "breaking point" on the tire. It was much tougher than I anticipated. Putting the rear on was tougher than putting the front on, but not bad at all.....maybe took me 3 minutes of fighting that breaking point.

Teeter, I hope I didn't post too much in your thread. I just figured I'd interject my experience since I'm trying something very similar at the same time.

ok i want a video of that now........:thumbup:

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site

Appreciate the concern, but this is a group conversation. I'm enjoying hearing about your adventures and results. Keep 'em coming!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny, because I just got back from Cycle Gear hours ago. I paid a total of $72.42 for RR front and rear tires (bring in wheels). It's $30 a piece ($20 if you purchase tires from CG). Add 2 valve stems @$2.99 each and 2 tire disposal fees @$2.99 (California) each and the total comes to $72.42. Not exactly cheap, but I guess other places charge even more.

If you got one, a 2x4 on top of a gallon paint can placed under the header pipes will hold up the front end high

Nice post about DIY!

BTW, CG told me they have an "informal" sale of BT016's for $199.00 a pair. I wonder if applies chain wide. I installed BT023's.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this where you got your name? >teeter :welcome:

Hehe.. I like that, but no... It's a long story involving a few Yankee's in a VW Microbus touring the south in pursuit of the next Dead show.

That crazy balancing act was actually quite stable. I was building a big compost bin and when it was halfway constructed I thought to myself "hey, that would make handy stand/workbench for my bike."