Mounting/balancing question.

jcfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got the bike back from the shop after having a new rear tire mounted. And now I have nice silver stick on wheel weights on the outside of my black rim. The stock tire had no weights on it as far as I know.

Is it typical to use the same stick on weights as a car tire or should they be on the inside out of sight? The shop told me that's how they do it, but it looks like crap!! And I'm wondering if I can just break the bead and move them to the inside.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got the bike back from the shop after having a new rear tire mounted. And now I have nice silver stick on wheel weights on the outside of my black rim. The stock tire had no weights on it as far as I know.

Is it typical to use the same stick on weights as a car tire or should they be on the inside out of sight? The shop told me that's how they do it, but it looks like crap!! And I'm wondering if I can just break the bead and move them to the inside.

I'd mask around them and paint them black before moving them.

Do you have a bead breaker and experience with dismounting a tire? Sounds like a pain and I've never seen them put on the inside. Mine are on the outside of the front and rear wheels, but the shop did use weights that were already painted black. But to answer your question, they're the same style I used to use for car tires, little squares of lead with an adhesive backing.

EDIT: Also I'd be concerned that at some point they would come off from centrifugal force and then I'd have loose weights banging around in my tire.

Last edited:

jcfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds about right. I already took a sharpie to them so now they're camouflaged and I can't really tell anymore. I was just a little disappointed that the good looking wheel is now gone.

Although I like the new pilot power 2CT's so far. The front will be getting changed next week as well to match, and then I'll have two spares after I patch the stock rear since it only has 3700mi on it.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How exactly could they put weights on the inside?? The tire has to be on for the wheel to be balanced. Do you expect them to figure out where the weight needs to go and then dismount the tire again to put the weight in?

That's just not done. However, there ARE black stick-on weights available and a good shop would have those and silver ones in stock.

wlaroche

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone used the clamp on weights that clip onto the raised lip in the center of the rim between the five spokes of the wheel? They are little lead saddlebags that clip on. I have been looking for them and not sure what to even call them. I will be changing the tires soon and will initially use the stick on weights, but would like to change to the clip on because the stick on weights are not very good looking.

jcfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
How exactly could they put weights on the inside?? The tire has to be on for the wheel to be balanced. Do you expect them to figure out where the weight needs to go and then dismount the tire again to put the weight in?

That's exactly what i was going to do, was hoping not to have to dismount the whole tire, just pop one side in and slap the weights on. But I guess this is normal procedure so i'll probably just get some black weights or something. I've just never remembered seeing this type of weight on a motorcycle wheel, and this was the first time I've changed tires so my experience is admittedly limited.

It just seemed weird that the stock tire had zero weights added, maybe it was never actually balanced?? I never felt any vibrations though.

Might give this a try: http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html

Anyone used that or anything like it?

Last edited:

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
That's exactly what i was going to do, was hoping not to have to dismount the whole tire, just pop one side in and slap the weights on.

But it wouldn't work. By popping the tire you inevitably change the balance since you won't exactly get it seated in the exact spot again. To be able to get enough space that you can put the weight on means essentially breaking the bead again on the tire. All that effort and you might find the weights are not quite right. Fuggedaboutit ..... it isn't done that way. Your original tire may well have been within spec and needed no further weights .... it happens. You can always mask the rim and shoot the weights with some black paint. But I wouldn't worry about it ..... its like those decals you find on your sun visor in your car. Ugly as hell but no one notices them because all cars have them.

jcfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea that is true there's only 0.75oz of weight on the rim now so the other tire could very well have been fine with no weight.

I'm going to give those "dynabeads" a shot I think and see how that works out.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone used the clamp on weights that clip onto the raised lip in the center of the rim between the five spokes of the wheel? They are little lead saddlebags that clip on. I have been looking for them and not sure what to even call them. I will be changing the tires soon and will initially use the stick on weights, but would like to change to the clip on because the stick on weights are not very good looking.

Yes I have had them on before. They do the job. Next time I'm visiting my tyre shop I'll ask what he calls them.:thumbup:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
If it were mine I would remove the weights and put dynabeads in. Using them now and they work really well. Cost about $12 for both wheels and you put them by removing the valve core. so you don't have to remove anything else. takes all of 15 minutes to do. Simply remove the valve core, put the dynabeads in, install the valve core and re-inflate

jcfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed the dynabeads this evening. It takes about 15min at most, maybe not even that long. Pop out the valve stems install the beads (1oz front 2oz rear), reinstall valve stems and re-inflate the tires.

Only rode about 10 miles so far but I feel no vibrations at all and everything seems fine. Also there's no more weights on the outside of the wheels so it's a win win. And the dynabeads only cost about $14 or so with shipping, well worth it.

I have to say though that the bike turns much quicker and feels alot more stable with the new tires on now. I was really surprised with the difference. I like the pilot power 2ct's so far.