Harbor Freight Tire changer

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
It does work, although you will need to do some modifications to make the job al lot easier.
First thing is bolt the changer down to an immovable object, I have it attached to a 2' x 4' x 3/4" thick piece of plywood and it did work but would be a lot better solid mounted.
Buy or make the tire tool, either the MoJo style or the NoMar style, this will keep your rims from looking like crap. I made the NoMar style but didn't make the handle, this will be corrected for next time, trust me.
Make or buy the MoJo blocks to mount in the changer, they will also keep your rims from looking like crap cause the HF just has steel plates and the rim will slip and get torn up.
Also make a rim support out of 2x4's for support when breaking the bead.
I rounded off the vertical support for the center bar so it could be adjusted a bit to match up with the center and I used my own center bar that I turned down to fit the wheel bearing, I think the threaded part of the HF bar might work but didn't try it.
I didn't follow major tom's hint about leaving the tire in the sun to warm it up but I for sure will the next time. Good thing my son was helping or I would have never gotten the tire on by myself.
All in all it was a good investment and will save money in the long run especially if you change tires 2-3 times a year. And we now have a welder for other projects:thumbup:
Attached photo's show what we did and also our other shop helper:D

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I've mounted 6 sets of tires on mine. The nylon mojo blocks are key as is a nylon tipped tool like the Mojo lever or NoMar. Get yourself some rim protectors as well as they really help when initially getting the de-mount bar in there to prevent rim damage.

6166tw2fGBL._SY355_.jpg