Motorcycle vs. Turkey

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Well... it happened today. I was coming around a sweeping right curve when I noticed a Turkey standing on the opposite shoulder. I began slowing and watched as the bird flapped it's wings and took flight.

I continued slowing and attempted to adjust my lane position but it did no good. The Turkey was flying about 4 feet off the ground and impacted my fairing right on the low beam headlight. The bird deflected upwards and bounced off my Icon Alliance SSR helmet. I ended up driving on the dirt shoulder and was able to keep the bike upright.

I stopped by the local Yamaha dealer and he's pretty sure it will need a complete fairing as well as a fairing stay. I guess we'll see how State Farm insurance takes care of my bike.

I've got some pics, hopefully I can get them off my cellphone camera.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, glad to hear you're alright and it sounds like you made a great save!

Turkeys are a lot bigger than the average person gives them credit for. It's amazing that it did that much damage to your fairing, and yet you were still able to hang on and keep your wits when it hit you in the head.

Hope you get everything sorted out soon and please tell me you picked that bird up and took it home to deep fry...lmao! If not, what a waste of a good bird!

:thumbup:

WereGrouch

Mrs. Skrapiron
Reaction score
Visit site
You have my sympathies! I had a turkey launch from a tree, straight onto my helmet, while I was out riding. Those are freaky big birds.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I've contacted State Farm insurance and they will be taking a look at my bike on Monday or Tuesday. The crash is covered under my comprehensive insurance which is saving me money on the deductible.

I went back to the scene and found the dead Turkey laying in the ditch among some tall weeds. I picked up the bird and estimated that it was around 15 pounds. It doesn't sound like much, but 15 pounds has plenty of kinetic energy when its velocity is combined with the velocity of the motorcycle.

Sorry about not having any pics to post. They're in my cell phone and I can't send them via Bluetooth to my computer.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to dodge kangaroos where I live.

Believe me, they aren't cute when they stand in the middle of the road waiting for you, or, even worse, wait for you to get close before they and their family jump out in front of you. They are VERY stupid creatures.

They taste good on the barbie though ;)

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
Good thing he didn't get any higher! I had a full face collision with a turkey vulture (7/8 lbs.) It's no joke!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you eat kangaroos? come on! i thought they where like horses or like wild animals that we don't eat.

oh wait, do you eat horses too? :BLAA:
:rof:

Personally, don't eat horse.

I have eaten emu, kangaroo, crocodile - roos are actually pests where we live. They do a lot of damage. You can't just go and kill one - you need a permit.

But they still taste nice : D

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
On a side-note, did anybody notice their motorcycle insurance rates rising?

My State Farm policy is set to renew August 15 and I received the notice in yesterdays mail (same day as my incident with the Turkey).

I don't remember the exact rate I was paying, but I thought it was around $270 per year for full coverage.

The new amount for a year of full coverage increased to $469 which is a 57% increase :eek: over the prior year. Keep in mind that until the visit with the Turkey, I have not had any accidents, insurance claims or moving violations. The paperwork from State Farm indicates the rates went up due to a "reduction to my vehicles rating group for comprehensive and mandatory coverages".

I don't speak legalese, but I'm guessing thats insurance lingo for "we weren't screwing you hard enough, and now we're going to".

Any thoughts?

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
There was a turkey took out a cruiser near Sarasota, FL and took her into a barb wired fence. She was NOT wearing a helmet and proud of it but lived.

As far as insurance, I live near Tampa and I pay almost $500 with Progressive which I thought was high.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
On a side-note, did anybody notice their motorcycle insurance rates rising?

My State Farm policy is set to renew August 15 and I received the notice in yesterdays mail (same day as my incident with the Turkey).

I don't remember the exact rate I was paying, but I thought it was around $270 per year for full coverage.

The new amount for a year of full coverage increased to $469 which is a 57% increase :eek: over the prior year. Keep in mind that until the visit with the Turkey, I have not had any accidents, insurance claims or moving violations. The paperwork from State Farm indicates the rates went up due to a "reduction to my vehicles rating group for comprehensive and mandatory coverages".

I don't speak legalese, but I'm guessing thats insurance lingo for "we weren't screwing you hard enough, and now we're going to".

Any thoughts?

I'm paying $1299 a year to insure 2 Fz6's. And my agent told me it was one of the cheaper bikes to insure around here.

And congrats on getting through that crash. You did well.

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
I got hit by a raven last year, I was doing 60 mph on a right turn apex, crested the hill during mid apex then BAM!, stupid bird hit me in the shoulder, almost knocked me off the bike, I guess an FZ6 with no muffler @ 8k rpm's scared the hell out of it.

WereGrouch

Mrs. Skrapiron
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, a 57% increase? That's outrageous. I'm paying $210 a year with Rider Insurance for my FZ6. I switched to them after Progressive raised my rates. So far, so good! Of course, each person has different rates based on age, riding experience, gender, # of claims, and driving record.

Sounds to me like it's time for you to shop around. An independent insurance agent that specializes in MC policies might be your best bet. Good luck!

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site

The new amount for a year of full coverage increased to $469 which is a 57% increase :eek: over the prior year.

Actually that is about a 74% increase :D Sounds like there must be a mistake somewhere in their system. I'd get the bike fixed then have a "nice" conversation with them about the rate increase. Tell them if it's not a mistake then it is outrageous and you will take your business elsewhere. Good luck