Motorcycle vs. Turkey

Thanks WereGrouch and chaskill27.... I have already been shopping for motorcycle insurance and plan on switching once my bike is fixed and current policy expires.

I'll check out that Rider Insurance company. Hopefully they write MC policies in Michigan.

Just catching up with this thread. Glad you're OK. Big bird= big damage. We are surrounded by turkeys here. Like deer they are always a concern on the road. Especially on 2 wheels. Also incredibly stupid creatures...unless you happen to be hunting them. Great on the barby though.

I do hunt them, and Turkey's are extremely wiley and will spook if they see an odd color or a flash. I checked on the Rider Insurance suggested by WereGrouch, they don't offer motorcycle coverage in Michigan :(

Hell I hit a 1/2 lb bird once with my helmet at 55mph and it knocked my head back. 15 pounds is a beast.

I see turkeys all the time around here and it keeps my speed down.

Your very lucky.

Turkey buzzard hits, kills motorcyclist
Dillon Reed was 18

Updated: Monday, 19 Jul 2010, 6:21 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 19 Jul 2010, 6:09 PM EDT

BLOOMINGDALE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) - An 18-year-old motorcyclist died Monday afternoon when he was struck in the chest by a turkey buzzard.

Dillon Matthew Reed was driving a 2007 Kawasaki east on CR 380 near 39 1/2 Street around 12:45 p.m. when a turkey buzzard flew into him and caused him to lose control. He went off the road, hit some trees and died at the scene.

Investigators said Reed was not speeding, alcohol was not a factor and he was wearing his helmet. "No negligent actions" on his part were a factor, the Van Buren County Sheriff's Department said in a release.

Trempealeau woman dies after motorcycle hits turkey
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:00 am

TREMPEALEAU, Wis. - A 32-year-old Trempealeau woman died Sunday from injuries suffered when the motorcycle she was riding struck a turkey while traveling Saturday afternoon in rural Trempealeau County .

Kellie J. Ritter was a passenger on a motorcycle being driven by Travis W. Ritter, also 32, which was traveling on Schuh Road just west of Harris Road in the township of Trempealeau at 1:43 p.m. Saturday, when a turkey flew across the road and was struck by the bike's windshield, according to the Trempealeau County Sheriff's Department.

Travis Ritter was taken to a La Crosse hospital by ambulance, while Kellie Ritter was flown to a La Crosse hospital.

Both of the occupants were thrown from the motorcycle, and neither was wearing helmets, according to the sheriff's department.

Last edited:
*** UPDATE***

The State Farm insurance adjuster just took a look at the bike and approved the following items for replacement:

- Complete fairing
- Fairing stay
- Windscreen
- Left mirror stalk
- Labor and shop materials

Total damages... $1,138.59

Hunting Turkey with a motorcycle... priceless

*** UPDATE***

The State Farm insurance adjuster just took a look at the bike and approved the following items for replacement:

- Complete fairing
- Fairing stay
- Windscreen
- Left mirror stalk
- Labor and shop materials

Total damages... $1,138.59

Hunting Turkey with a motorcycle... priceless

:rof: :rof:

Glad to hear insurance is going to take care of you.

What about your helmet? Was the blow substantial? Are you planning on replacing it?

:rof: :rof:

Glad to hear insurance is going to take care of you.

What about your helmet? Was the blow substantial? Are you planning on replacing it?

State Farm is replacing my helmet. I provided a copy of the original receipt and they will be sending a check separate from the motorcycle repair check. The blow was not too substantial, since most of the impact was already absorbed by the fairing/ windscreen.

There was a small abrasion on the top of the helmet and some dust (likely from the Turkey's belly or wings). The helmet appears to be intact, however, I plan on replacing it since I'm not sure how the inner materials are holding up.

I've read that a helmet should be replaced if it falls from a height of 4 feet or more. I can only imagine that hitting a 15 pound bird at 40 mph would generate equal or greater force. The helmet will be replaced for sure.

Back