Motodynamics Integrated tail light question

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
Just installed mine, which is clear, and it has a similar problem. I'm extremely disappointed at the poor quality control as this doesn't seem to be an isolated issue. I emailed them with photos so I'll see what they say.

fz6tailight1.jpg

fz6tailight2.jpg

fz6tailight3.jpg

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Also installed mine just now. Sue, given we both bought it recently, it should be from the same batch. I do have the same issue as you but it less prominent.

Depending on the vertical angle that you see it from the 'dark area' is either on top or the bottom. Seen from the level of a car driver, there isn't that much of a dark area. Seen from the level of a truck driver, then the issue shows up.

There are two pictures showing the light from two different angles. I'm a bit disappointed given my previous cheap led tail light seems brighter but I am still keeping it. It does project light to a wider angle than my previous one which was pretty much straight on. I also like the flashing stop light.

Side note: I took the smoke version but it's barely smoked, see picture. Also like how they make it so easy to install compared to other units out there. The connectors fit right in.

Sorry bout the quality of the pics. Phone camera.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
The cause of the issue of asymmetric light output seems to be fairly obvious though. Looking at the placement of the LEDs to the reflectors, you can see that the placement is just slightly off from left to right.

The reflectors are curved so as to focus most of the light towards a car driver level. If you get outside of that specific zone, then you start seeing dark areas depending on the placement of the LEDs.

Either it is the board containing the LEDs that's not placed properly or the reflectors are asymmetric. In either case it's a quality issue.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
For comparison's sake, here is my old tail light which I bought on eBay last summer. As you can see it's bright and that's on top of a very dark smoked screen. However it's less impressive looking slightly from the side and it doesn't have the flashing stop light.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The cause of the issue of asymmetric light output seems to be fairly obvious though. Looking at the placement of the LEDs to the reflectors, you can see that the placement is just slightly off from left to right.

The reflectors are curved so as to focus most of the light towards a car driver level. If you get outside of that specific zone, then you start seeing dark areas depending on the placement of the LEDs.

Either it is the board containing the LEDs that's not placed properly or the reflectors are asymmetric. In either case it's a quality issue.

Great SHOT! Looks like a tiny aliment issue leads to focal issues. Moving the LED on the PCBA or moving the whole PCBA would change the light output substantially....

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
So they're obviously offering to replace the light. I'm just disappointed that I'll have to deal with installation again. Hopefully they don't send me another dud.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that I see its not an isolated issue (maybe even a batch issue), maybe I should contact them about it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
It would be cool if someone would open it up and adjust the PCB. It only needs to be moved just 1 or 2 mm on the right side. I think it should be piece of cake; at least much easier than waiting for a replacement to come in.

Me? Just too lazy to go down to the 3rd level of the underground parking lot to fiddle with some tail light that does not really bother me to start with. Ok ok maybe some other time.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
A riding buddy who was riding behind asked me if I had a burned LED in my tail light :eyebrow: So when I got back home I took the whole thing apart again.

Unclip the clear cover off the tail light unit. Saw that the PCB has a rotating point and can move a few degs on each side. Manually adjusted the PCB and I now have a perfectly symmetrical light output.

You can see in the picture where you have to press to rotate the PCB. Careful when unclipping the unit, it's easy to break. I broke 2 :banghead:

Kind of annoyed I had to go through all just because Moto Dynamic couldn't do its QA properly. If you have the same issue, just do this. It's easier than asking for a return.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
A riding buddy who was riding behind asked me if I had a burned LED in my tail light :eyebrow: So when I got back home I took the whole thing apart again.

Unclip the clear cover off the tail light unit. Saw that the PCB has a rotating point and can move a few degs on each side. Manually adjusted the PCB and I now have a perfectly symmetrical light output.

You can see in the picture where you have to press to rotate the PCB. Careful when unclipping the unit, it's easy to break. I broke 2 :banghead:

Kind of annoyed I had to go through all just because Moto Dynamic couldn't do its QA properly. If you have the same issue, just do this. It's easier than asking for a return.

How'd you get the outer plastic off? Is that the part you broke getting off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah just unclip and pull. It's a bit tight, that's why I broke 2 clips. It's easier to start from the top. No need to unscrew the 3 screws in the back, those are holding the reflectors.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah just unclip and pull. It's a bit tight, that's why I broke 2 clips. It's easier to start from the top. No need to unscrew the 3 screws in the back, those are holding the reflectors.

Thanks. I might have to try that. I think the problem you had is the same as mine. My pcb looks a little crooked.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Contacted Motodynamic about the light output issue and after one picture I was offered a refund or replacement the same day. I actually opted for a discount for which I got a partial refund immediately.

I was lucky, didn't get any bs and service was prompt and courteous.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
I went out yesterday to try and pull the front off my taillight. After I realized I would need to take the whole tail light out of the rear I gave up. I didn't feel like disassembling my entire bike again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
The product is currently out of stock on their site. Maybe they're checking the quality of their current batch before selling the rest?

SueMc

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! I am quite surprised at the number of people having this issue. I'd definitely agree that it's a quality control issue.

I just received my replacement light today and haven't had a chance to just connect it to see if the same problem exists. Elus1ve, thanks so much for the instructions on removing the lens and adjusting the angle. If my new light has this same problem I'll definitely give that a try. Sure beats having to send it back again international postage is expensive!

DarkNinja75, I hope that's the case! If its as easy to adjust as elus1ve's post suggests it's really in their best interest to do so.

I'll let you know how the new light looks.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
I got an email response back within about 5 minutes offering to replace it. They said there was an issue with the mirrors shifting during assembly. I'll probably send it back to them. Our tail lights are small to begin with and having less than 100% of that area lit up is a bit of a safety hazard in my book.

SueMc

Reaction score
Visit site
So I hooked the replacement tail light up and, while it was not as bad as the original light, the new one had the same dark section in the lower right. Given that the postage for me to return the light is $20 and I've already returned one, I opted to try Elus1ve's suggestion and removed the lens to make a manual adjustment. I was able to get it aligned and it is much better!

My husband and I were out on our bikes on Friday and rode through a rainstorm. My husband was following me and said that the tail light and signal lights were highly visible!