Mobile Camera Question

Mark85

Hairy Faced Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
If, in theory, I was riding too fast on the motorway, and there was a mobile speed camera on the opposite side of the carriageway, would that camera be able to get me?

obviously this is all just hypothetical.

Cheers
Mark

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
If, in theory, I was riding too fast on the motorway, and there was a mobile speed camera on the opposite side of the carriageway, would that camera be able to get me?

I don't know anything about the technicalities of cameras and I suppose it would be perfectly possible. But, in practice, given how busy with traffic are all of our motorways, I would have thought the camera operators would have been too focussed on trying to snag drivers their side of the carriageway to worry about what's happening your side.

obviously this is all just hypothetical

Of course :D

arkay

Reaction score
Visit site

obviously this is all just hypothetical.

Cheers
Mark

I doubt it very much, not unless you're riding a bike with a number plate on the front;) probably a benefit of riding a bike is that even mobile cameras are facing the wrong way when you approach them, and, if you were "hypothetically" moving at a fair rate of knots, by the time any camera was turned to "nab" you, you'd be a blip on the horizon! I wouldn't worry (hypothetically) :rolleyes:

arkay

Reaction score
Visit site
We have a few mobile vans in our area and they always have the camera in front of the van capturing speeders from behind as they go past, something to do with fair warning for motorists I believe, but also, don't quote me on it, the DSA site may have some info.

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
From memory they are set to take the photo of the front, that way there can be no dispute as to who was driving - they have a photo of the driver. I've never known one take a photo from the other side of the road.

Also worth noting that being the start of the month there are plenty of VOSA ANPR vans around catching tax dodgers.

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe they now have SPECS3 average speed camera's certfied for use. I had heard that they were using them around Birmingham/M6, but not sure. They take pictures of the ftont and back, they can also be networked so that getting off the road and meeting one further away may still be fatal to the license.

I also read something about the pssobility of being able to use any ANPR enabled camera for catching speeders as well, but haven't bothered to read anything more on it.

http://www.prestoncitizen.co.uk/news/4195107.Number_plate_cameras_to_go_on_all_Lancashire_motorways/

Last edited: