Mixing PR2 rear & PR3 front.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I’m about to do the unthinkable, I’m going to put a new PR3 on the front of my bike (whilst I have a PR2 on the rear):eek:.

First off I ride nearly all year around, also I ride a reasonable amount of Km’s/year (59000Km’s since summer 2007 when I bought the bike new), which means simply changing both front and back tyres together every time can be quite expensive.

I’ve been riding with PR2’s ever since my stock tyres were worn out, and I’m now on my 3rd PR2 rear tyre, I’m very happy with them.
The reason I want to change to the PR3’s is because of the increased grip in the wet (compared to the PR2’s).

I am fully aware that you should (officially) have a matched pair, the reasons for this (as I understand) are tread patterns and differing amounts of grip.
The tread patterns of the PR2’s and PR3’s are quite similar (apart from the additional XST grooves on the 3), so I don’t think this will be a major issue.
As I understood it (correct me if I’m wrong) it is important that your front tyres have more grip than your rear ones , well the PR3’s have slightly better grip in the wet, plus fresh rubber has more grip than aged ones.
I think changing the front tyre now is better than buying a PR2 now and changing only the rear to a PR3 later (because I could have more grip on the rear, in comparison to the front).

I'm planning on getting a new PR3 when I change my rear tyre next time.

Although this seems to make sense (to me) I still have a niggly feeling at the back of my head.

I would be interested in hearing your opinions.

Let the flak begin

:scared:

Last edited:

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
They advertise that they have the same grip in the dry but the PR3's have better wet traction. My feeling is that you will be fine and I'd rather have the new front tyre than a gripper rear. You'll be fine :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with DDS. I doubt it will cause any issue at all and certainly better to have grippier front than rear (if one of the 2 has to be grippier).
You're an experienced rider.. as someone told me when I asked a similar question here a while ago.. you will be able to subconsciously compensate for the minute traction differences, if you should feel any in the first place.

koolcat

Reaction score
Visit site
You know I had to run a new pilot on the rear while I had the stock bridgestone on the front with around 9000 miles on it.. it was well below the wear mark, at the time I simply couldnt afford to get a new tire for the front, but the rear was showing cord..I still rode pretty hard ,and it worked fine..mind you I wasnt on a track, but still speeds up to a hundred.. (not in the rain)..I guess my point is I doubt anyone would notice a difference..(haha let the arguing begin), of course my helmet doesnt match my bike..so what do I know

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
You know I had to run a new pilot on the rear while I had the stock bridgestone on the front with around 9000 miles on it.. it was well below the wear mark, at the time I simply couldnt afford to get a new tire for the front, but the rear was showing cord..I still rode pretty hard ,and it worked fine..mind you I wasnt on a track, but still speeds up to a hundred.. (not in the rain)..I guess my point is I doubt anyone would notice a difference..(haha let the arguing begin), of course my helmet doesnt match my bike..so what do I know

in order to be relevant your helmet MUST match your bike, im sorry:Flip:

koolcat

Reaction score
Visit site
Right go ask a dude that likes to say FAzzzzzer alot, Im sure he'll tell us all about it

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site

Thats kind of just the opposite situation a sh!ty front with a grippy rear, fine for going in straight lines but if you were to really push it you would have felt.the front tire pushing, or a bikes equivalent to understeer. Understeer on a bike =bad news

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They advertise that they have the same grip in the dry but the PR3's have better wet traction. My feeling is that you will be fine and I'd rather have the new front tyre than a gripper rear. You'll be fine :)

Agree with DDS. I doubt it will cause any issue at all and certainly better to have grippier front than rear (if one of the 2 has to be grippier).
You're an experienced rider.. as someone told me when I asked a similar question here a while ago.. you will be able to subconsciously compensate for the minute traction differences, if you should feel any in the first place.

cheers guys :thumbup:, this is pretty much the way I was thinking. I'll now go ahead and order me a PR3 front :rockon: