Mirror extender, blind spot reduction

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I just picked up an 07 FZ6 four days ago, and shamefully, I've not ridden it since I got it home from the guy I bought it from (that's what children will do to you...). Anyway, I could quickly tell that the stock mirrors were not cutting it in either having a decent view directly behind or covering the blind spot (yes, I look over my shoulder changing lanes, but I also like to know with a glance in the mirror who is in that blind spot).

As far as seeing behind, it would work if the arms were just an inch or two longer, and then it could be angled to see around my shoulders. Is there such a thing? Searched extensively, didn't see anyone even mention it. I'm also a bit concerned that if it did exist, the longer stalk might vibrate excessively.

As far as the blind spot, it seems people have put the little convex round stick-on mirrors on the corner of the stock mirror with mixed results, but what would be nice is if there was a mirror that was flat for most of its width but had the outer edge convex. So you'd have undistorted view down the back of the bike, but a distorted view into the blind spot. Some car mirrors are like this. There must be something like this, it's such a common issue. Is anyone aware?

In addition to the stock mirror, I added bar-ends to my previous bike which gave great rearward vision (at the expense of looking really lame with two sets of mirrors), but the handles were more forward. It seems like they'd be somewhat out of the field of view on the FZ6. Have bar-ends worked for you guys?

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
TRO1376.jpg

:D:D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Who needs to go out and pay and see a comedian to get some laughs, when you can just log onto this site for free and laugh just as hard.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
That would definitely eliminate the blind spot problem -- the mirrors take up so much room there wouldn't be space for a car to be in your blind spot. If you had a tailwind, you could probably use them to sail as well.

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
I just picked up an 07 FZ6 four days ago, and shamefully, I've not ridden it since I got it home from the guy I bought it from (that's what children will do to you...). Anyway, I could quickly tell that the stock mirrors were not cutting it in either having a decent view directly behind or covering the blind spot (yes, I look over my shoulder changing lanes, but I also like to know with a glance in the mirror who is in that blind spot).

As far as seeing behind, it would work if the arms were just an inch or two longer, and then it could be angled to see around my shoulders. Is there such a thing? Searched extensively, didn't see anyone even mention it. I'm also a bit concerned that if it did exist, the longer stalk might vibrate excessively.

As far as the blind spot, it seems people have put the little convex round stick-on mirrors on the corner of the stock mirror with mixed results, but what would be nice is if there was a mirror that was flat for most of its width but had the outer edge convex. So you'd have undistorted view down the back of the bike, but a distorted view into the blind spot. Some car mirrors are like this. There must be something like this, it's such a common issue. Is anyone aware?

In addition to the stock mirror, I added bar-ends to my previous bike which gave great rearward vision (at the expense of looking really lame with two sets of mirrors), but the handles were more forward. It seems like they'd be somewhat out of the field of view on the FZ6. Have bar-ends worked for you guys?

The mirrors you speak of are very prevalent on cars in Europe, I loved them. Awesome for driving on the Autobahn in Germany and the Autopistas in Spain. You can see normally behind you and then see all the lanes on the 10+ lane freeways on the far end of the mirror. I have never seen it in the US though. Good luck, let us know if you find some for the bike.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
These might work. Convex adhesive mirrors. I may try sticking them somewhere on the fairing behind the headlights. They would probably stick out about as far as the stock mirrors, but as they will be lower, the view will be less obstructed by my shoulders. Possibly they could solve both the blind spot and obstructed rear view issue. $125 for the pair.

SAENG/TA Ultra-Body Quick Scans Page.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've just recently seen some mirror stalk extenders, was thinking about getting them myself (even though my carport clearance is already tight). I'll look for the link tomorrow.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Motorcycles don't have blind spots if you..simply turn your head...;) :thumbup:

Dosen't cost you anything either.

Last edited:

viper94bite

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I have an 08 and they are on the body. I believe twistedthrottle.com has some extensions for if they are mounted to the bars. I know they make things for the fairing mounted mirrors as they were available for my zzr1200. I came across a website a few days ago that had a variety of wideners, but I did not bookmark it.

I understand that turning your head is free, but it is much nicer to be able to look in a mirror and see what is behind you. I stil check blind spots before getting over however when I am slowing down somewhere I like to see what is directly behind me as well. Knowing if the one behind you is slowing down or not can save your life. And turning my head around in that situation is just impractical.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can buy convex stick on mirrors from E Bay.

They are for cars and stick on the original wing mirrors.

If you can get them small enough for a bike mirror it would do the trick.

Steve

S

sportrider

I wouldn't but to much confidence in your mirrors, you should ALWAYS look over your shoulder in the direction you intend on going. I don't have any issues with the stock mirrors. I can see behind me and part of the lane beside me the way they are adjusted. I ride in a semi tuck most of the time though(resting my left arm across the tank) maybe its just cause all the freeway I ride.

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I have just fitted some sw-motech mirror extenders to my 08 S2 Fazer, I can now have a view of whats behind me instead of looking at my shoulders. Nicely made but way over the top price wise but they are a safety aid and look like OEM fitment. No use on the naked model though.

Cheers from sunny surrey!

Sparkybean

Reaction score
Visit site
I know the sv1000 I had was far worse with this problem. You could get very good mirror extenders for it. I don't know if these would work or if you could modify these to work. Or bar end mirrors could be the way to go!