Mild Vibrations -Share your experiences...

Pittmania

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. Learning my bike and getting familiar with the little things and wanted to see if what I'm experiencing is normal.

At highway speeds there is a very subtle vibration in the grips, not even bothersome nor that noticeable with gloves. Seems to happen in the 7-8k range and is more pronounced if you touch the bar ends. I've ridden the bike more than 1500 miles since buying it a month ago and have had zero issues (also got 46 mpg on my recent tank, seems like a good indicator of things being on the up-and-up). Also, when going up through the revs around 4k there is a mild vibration but it is gone as soon as it shows up. Figure this was normal and didn't think it was even possible to have an engine that was entirely vibration free. It's coming up on 10k miles and figured I should pull the plugs, gap and clean them?

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds about right... lol. [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] has a threat about loose spark plug wire ends causing vibration. I'm sure he'll probably comment on this thread.

Id replace the plugs, Yamaha calls for it at 8 or 10k miles anyway. The double ground strap plugs (CR9EK) tend to wear a gap a little faster than single ground straps (CR9E).

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks ^^
True, they can run perfectly fine but it doesn't mean its a good as should be vibration wise. Mine has schooled me on that and I have since learned not to settle for a bike that vibes. In the tech section is sticky with at least 40 bikes fixed by trimming back the high tension lead so it tightens firmly to the spark plug cap. The waste spark ignition seems to be very sensitive!
Order some new plugs, gap to spec, install them and check the wires while your there. What you describe can be cured so the harmonics stop and parts quit resonating.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Vibration! A cure for bad vibrations, Spark Plug Caps!!

It has to do with how the wires core interacts with the caps screw.
IMG_20150620CAP-WIRE2_zpsb2ufeu5h.jpg

IMG_20150620CAP-WIRE1_zpsp0bds7rh.jpg

After trimming the leads, fan the wires and screw the cap back on.
1CoilHTFanOut_zps9ef062a7.jpg%7Eoriginal

While the cap is unscrewed from the wire, confirm there is no corrosion inside where the ceramic resistor contacts the plugs connector, spring, or cap itself. If you have a meter, the resistors should be around 10,000 ohms. It doesn't hurt to check them. Clean all the parts with MAF cleaner or Contact Cleaner and Assemble...
DSC_9014_zpsd122wjmm.jpg

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't like tinkering - perhaps.....

Aside from extended life there may be another benefit although I have yet to find any real proof; but it is said that the smaller surface area of the precious metal tips (compared to carbon plugs) reduces the the spark energy requirement given all other things are equal. This **may be** part of the reason users of these plugs notice less of the harmonic vibration issues. It masks the issue better than the same carbon plug.