Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3???

Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Michelin Pilot Road 2s on the rear and they are AMAZING! The original front tyre is finally at the wear guage after 10,000 miles and so I started shopping to pilot road 2's to match the front. I was pretty shocked/excited to see there are 3's out now - although they look a bit weird!

Should I go for 2's to match the rear and save a tenner or so, or should I go for 3's to get the best/newest?

Is there anybody who's ridden with both tell me if 3's are better than the 2's? If so, when the rear goes I'll be putting a 3 on, but the 2 is lasting very nicely still after 4k miles...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also have RP2s front and rear. They're still new, so I can't speak for wear, but the grip is as good as I could hope for. Since 3 just came out, I'd wait a bit for long term reviews to come in. You know 2s are fantastic and cost a bit less.. no reason not to go with those for now, imo.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with Erci here. The new model tire will set you back more cash.

The PR2 are proven favorites for a good while. I too have PR2 with about 2500 miles on them. I've put them through some paces but still have about 1.25 inch chicken strips... that's just the way I ride. I am pretty sure they could handle much more agressive riding. Really happy with the PR2 so far

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Another issue might be availability. I needed tires recently and the choice between Pr3 and BT23 was made for me by the fact that the PR3 in a 180/55 was almost impossible to find. So I went with the BT23s, $80 cheaper and a whole lot better than the BT20s that were on there before.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Another issue might be availability. I needed tires recently and the choice between Pr3 and BT23 was made for me by the fact that the PR3 in a 180/55 was almost impossible to find. So I went with the BT23s, $80 cheaper and a whole lot better than the BT20s that were on there before.

yeah, from what i've read, pr3's are backordered in a lot of stores

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have PR2's and love 'em. I'm in the just over 5k range on them, and they're wearing exceptionally well. A lot of ppl like the PR2's, and like others have said they are tried and tested. The PR3's will likely be as good, but I would recommend against having a mixed tire pair on the bike. Bike tires are designed to work with each other, especially in the wet - which is where the PR2's really excel (IMO).

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

Redback

Reaction score
Visit site
I had PR2's on my old GSR they were fantastic last week i was due for a new set on the FZ front and rear i was going to get a set of 2's but decided on the 3's.
winter is coming up here shortly well one day after the drought and the scorching heat stops:BLAA: so i thought the new tread with enhanced water dispersant might be the go.

only had them on for couple of hundred k's and i am stoked give me the same confidence that the 2's did from memory can definitely feel them stick as you lean over as for the water factor that remains to be seen but so far i am happy

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
So far I'm leaning towards the 2s. Mainly just so they will match the rear and also cos I think they look better! :) I already know that PR2s are awesome after putting it on the rear.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I recommend matching the rear tire with the PR2's. I have front-rear PR2's on my Triumph Striple R with over 10k miles on them, plenty of tread left. As others have said, the PR3's are hard to get ahold of right now and I'd wait to see some of the reviews before buying. Chances are they'll be great, but I'm always a bit cautious with tires.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get the 3's, the 2's are about a seven year old design now, a very good design at that, but older technology non the less, and tyres have moved forward a fair bit in the last 7 years.

I reckon the 3's will be awesome.

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
hi, what have you decided on? i have the original 020 on and just reached the rear limit at just under6k, flattening off now.. i am thinking of going bt 023, tempted by the rp3 but lots of comment re poor anticipated life.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
hi, what have you decided on? i have the original 020 on and just reached the rear limit at just under6k, flattening off now.. i am thinking of going bt 023, tempted by the rp3 but lots of comment re poor anticipated life.
I went with the more boring option and ordered the Road Pilot 2 for the front. My current rubbish stock one lasted 10k and I'm sure the Road Pilot will do double that like the rear. I love the Road Pilot 2 I have on the rear and it looks nicer than the 3! Plus then my tires will match.

Lots of reasons. Plus I ordered a 17t front sprocket recently and the place I bought it from had the Road Pilot 2 much cheaper than the 3. Now I just gotta get the front wheel off and find a garage that will swap them over to the new one for cheap when it arrives!

Jabarker

Reaction score
Visit site
I went from very worn :spank: stock tires to PR2s....... Fking awesome! :rockon:

I looked at the PR3s and for the price difference I stuck with the PR2s. But they should be great as well.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a new rear PR2, because I unfortunately pulled out a small screw. I thought I was lucky but after applying a bit of spit it turned out the screw had exactly :S

Dealer told me I got his last rear PR2 in stock. He had been told by his supplier that it was PR3's from now on (at slighty higher cost).

Worth mentioning...
I have only driven on PR2's (front and rear). A fresh pair had just been mounted before I bought my used FZ6 2 and a half years ago. And it's my first bike so have nothing to compare with!

DavisFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I want the 3's, just can't find the front tire in stock anywhere for 120/70/17. I can't see the tire being worse than the 2's. I've heared good things about tire siping.

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't find any results on how many miles I'd get from the PR3's. I'm guessing close to PR2's, and I don't usually ride in the rain, so I just ordered the PR2's. I'm currently on stock BT020's with 11K miles and a plug in the rear 500 miles ago. Only about $40 more for the PR3's, but I don't think I need them, I'd rather put that $ toward angled valves.

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
im riding the mopilot 3s since march and before i had the dunlop stock tyres which werent the best , but so far so good with the road3s cant compare them to the 2s though but i was a month waiting on them to arrive from france but the look great and feel great on the road too, ive yet to have them in the rain (but i do live in ireland thats why i opted for them as it rains for months here)

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got my new tires this morning, I went for the Bridgestone BT023's.

I managed to put 30 miles on them this afternoon but have to say I am VERY happy with them. Turn in is quicker and they feel very confidence inspiring, not tried the wet performance yet (hopefully wont for a little while!!). Will be interesting to see what they are like when fully scrubbed in.

I changed the front (stock BT020) at the same time even though it would have been good for considerably more than the 6k miles the rear managed before squaring off and hitting the wear limit indicators.

I will let you know how they go, off on a trip tomorrow and will be putting some miles in.

All the best