Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3???

Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the 3s on now. Haven't rode more than 50km with them (we've had basically nothing but rain and SNOW for the last 2 weeks). But love them.
I trust them immensely more than my worn in BT 023 set.
Can't wait to get out and really ride them, I'm expecting I'll be dragging a knee this year with them on.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the road pilot 2 tyre fitted on the front now. The fitting only cost me £5 from a local guy. I had to lug the wheel and the new tyre down there on a sack barrow! The things I do to save money! :spank: So it comes to £120 for the tyre, a new sprocket and postage and fitting. Not bad.

It looks great on there! I'm not loving the green stripe going down the centre, but I'm hoping that is just on the surface and will wear off after a mile or two. I rode it round the block and the bike feels better already. The real test will be the commute to work on Tues. I've got my 17t front sprocket installed too (after they finally sent me the right one) and I'm hoping the rider will be smoother at lower speeds and have lower revs at higher speeds.

Thanks to everyone who replied with advice etc. :thumbup:

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the 3s on now. Haven't rode more than 50km with them (we've had basically nothing but rain and SNOW for the last 2 weeks). But love them.
I trust them immensely more than my worn in BT 023 set.
Can't wait to get out and really ride them, I'm expecting I'll be dragging a knee this year with them on.

I must admit I was very tempted by the 3's until I read a magazine article talking about the enhanced wet grip created by the sype (sipe?) "technology" at the expense of heat build up and wear. Looks to be a good tire for cold wet damp conditions like we have here in the uk! I will wait and watch the feedback, maybe change again before winter if wear rates are good. In the meantime the 23's are better than the stock 20's so I am happy - for once lol!! Cheers

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the road pilot 2 tyre fitted on the front now. The fitting only cost me £5 from a local guy. I had to lug the wheel and the new tyre down there on a sack barrow! The things I do to save money! :spank: So it comes to £120 for the tyre, a new sprocket and postage and fitting. Not bad.

It looks great on there! I'm not loving the green stripe going down the centre, but I'm hoping that is just on the surface and will wear off after a mile or two. I rode it round the block and the bike feels better already. The real test will be the commute to work on Tues. I've got my 17t front sprocket installed too (after they finally sent me the right one) and I'm hoping the rider will be smoother at lower speeds and have lower revs at higher speeds.

Thanks to everyone who replied with advice etc. :thumbup:

That's a pretty good price, I was going to buy on the net but I struggled to get a sensible fitting cost from local shops, ended up paying £240 the pair, fitted, new valves balanced etc. Was not great but got good service

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to order 3's but nobody had them in stock, so I got 2's. My first set of Michelins after whatever was OEM (bridgstones?) and 2 sets of Metzelers... interested to see if there's honestly any difference I can detect while commuting like a sane person.

DavisFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Do anyone know a place that has the PR3's in stock? I've found the back just not the front tire. Was hopeing to order these soon.

-TIM-

DavisFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya what is up with that anyway?? I didn't even know there was a "B" tire until I started doing a little research. What are the differences aside from $30 or so?

I think it's a heavier grade tire meant to support more weight. I was just curious if anyone uses them who does a lot of 2 up riding or touring.

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going with the 3's myself. Got a ridiculously good deal (installed under $400). It's not what you know, it's who you know :)

Can't wait to shred some twisties. Bike also got a face lift with fresh paint job (off white with a blue pearl), and a new exhaust. CAN'T WAIT. I get it next week from the paint shop and all the new goodies installed (also got FZ1 bars!).:cheer:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never change a winning team :thumbup: got my 3rd rear set of Pilot road 2's fitted today, The front is still fine. I probably will switch to PR3's sometime in the future but I hope to hear more reviews from people who have used them for a while.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This was also a consideration Cliff:rolleyes:

Funny thing is we haven't heard of any other failures. I talked to a friend at Cycle Gear and he's only sold 1 set of the PR3's and hasn't had any complaint.
Could be a single incident where someone came in on a Monday morning, hung over and pooped the compound on one tire! :eek:

I just put the new BT016 Pro's on. They're supposed to be much better than the past BT016's. Haven't even rolled the bike out yet as I'm doing a mod to it before I test the tires.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
being honest I find it very strange, especially front and rear, but its not been on the market too long. I'm also interested to hear how many miles/Km's people get out of them (I got over 20,000Km's on each previous PR2 rear tyre).

Last edited:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just put on PR2's yesterday along with some Racetech springs. I only have 50 miles or so on them, but I've done a decent job of scrubbing them in and I can tell I'm already in l've versus my stock 20's.

I looked at the 3's but decided to just go with the proven 2's for less money. I did, however, select the "B" rear as I do a lot 2-Up and straight touring. Cant comment on the wear, but it supposedly has an extra layer (3+1 instead of 2+1) of tread. As I got a discount by having them installed at dealer, I figured I try it out and let people know.

FWIW, my stock 20's had 6k on them and the front was fine, but the rear was cupped and very thin along the center while still having tread towards the edges, which helped push me towards the "B" for $28 more.

My next set may be PR3's as I'm clearly impressed with Michelin, but for now I feel I have all the tire I could want at a reasonable price.

Scorp

Lucifer Caitiff

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the 2's. Had em for close to 10k now...I'm glad I didn't get the 3s. I know what happened to that guy's 3 series was an isolated incident, but jesus christ. I don't want to be one of TWO people that happens to.

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the PR3's for 7000km's now, of which 6200km was on a two week trip with ~2500km of it continuous fast (130-190km/h) German autobahn riding in moderately warm temperatures (20-30C), some riding in Nürburgring race track in almost 30C temps and a few days of rain as well. No problems at all and not much wear either. The rear tire has slight squaring at the center probably due to the hard and fast riding in the mostly straight motorways and the front tire has minor cupping but they both still have a lots of km's in them.

These tires are, in my opinion, great.

teej21012

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my PR3s for about two weeks and I FREAKING LOVE THEM :rockon::rockon:. The grip is godlike. They literally force you into the turn. Couldn't be happier.