Mechanical failures while riding?

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
Im fairly new to riding. Have about a year under my belt and 6K on my FZ6.
I know the road conditions, other drivers, and my decisions are the main concern while riding. One other thing I try to pay attention to is how the bike is doing mechanically. I worry that a mechanical failure could cause big problems while riding.

What are some common or possible mechanical failures to keep an eye on? My first thought would be tires. Is there anything else I should pay attention to?

Clay

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Your chain should also receive regular maintenance, and also going over exposed nuts and bolts looking for anything loose that shouldn't be is a good idea too.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
make sure your chain is properly maintained (not too tight, not too lose, and check for tight links), if this comes off at speed it can lock the back wheel up and seriously maim you

checking for loose bolts is another one, i've seen one guy forget to titghten his axle nut and nearly had his rear wheel come off, another guy didn't tighten his brake calipers properly and sufferred what can only be described as "scrotal trauma" after his brakes failed before a hairpin on track.

other things are to check your tyres are safe and correctly inflated, and check the brakes work

other things include checking the oil, coolant, making sure there's no other leaks, etc.

there's a lot you can check and it'#smuch easier to do on a bike than a car. most things won't injure you, but if there's something that can interfere with the brakes or wheels then you need to be aware

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
Slightly off the topic of mechanical failures, but to make sure that ones cargo is secure is important as well. I had a tie down clamp come loose and the Dacron strap could have easily gotten twisted up in the back tire. My fault but the lesson was learned.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
just ride dude, I wouldn't worry about it. mechanical failture while riding is very very rare.

Yeah just ride man, don't worry about that chain thing it's made of metal it will last forever, so are all the nuts and bolts they are metal too so no need ever check them either. No need to worry about ever checking oil or any of that stuff either it's not like its going to evaporate. Just ride man, just ride, once it blows up just keep riding or push it to the dealer!!! :BLAA:

Also where and when do you supposed these rare mechanical failures happen? At night while the bike is unattended? Or maybe during winter storage lol

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a bit OCD about maintenance when the bike is parked, so on the road, I don't have to be....

Chain slack/oiling, tyre pressures, fluid levels (brake/oil/water), fasteners (bolts/nuts) tight etc.

If all of that is within spec - I wouldn't obsess about it and just enjoy the ride.

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on all the above but to add something I see all the time....

DO NOT RIDE IN THE CENTER OF THE ROAD (or where cars DO NOT TRAVEL), where the oil drippings are, nails, screws etc are...

Picking up a nail or screw in a tire while under way is likely your largest mechanical failure. The front tire tends to pick it up and the rear tire catches the nail/screw just right..

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To ensure a trouble free ride, make sure you're in the habit of doing a Pre-Ride Inspection of your bike.

As us MSF folks call it:

TCLOCS

T is for: ?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To ensure a trouble free ride, make sure you're in the habit of doing a Pre-Ride Inspection of your bike.

As us MSF folks call it:

TCLOCS

"T" is for throttle stuck open???
"T" is for Tires are Tired?
"T" is for TPS sensor failed?
"T" is for Tip Over Sensor stuck to the stop postion?
"T" is for tromp on it when the red light turns green without checking the cross
streets for traffic?

Did I get one? :)

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
"T" is for throttle stuck open???
"T" is for Tires are Tired?
"T" is for TPS sensor failed?
"T" is for Tip Over Sensor stuck to the stop postion?
"T" is for tromp on it when the red light turns green without checking the cross
streets for traffic?

Did I get one? :)

i'm pretty sure "t" is for tps reports. make sure you turn in the tps reports before you go riding. mmmm...yeah...

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

As us MSF folks call it:

TCLOCS

I'm gonna have a go at this one!

All to do with pre-ride checks?

T - Throttle freeplay/action
C - Choke - does it work/shut off
L - Lube - Does everything that should slide do so, enough oil etc
O - Oxygen in the tyres? (lame, but I couldn't think of anything!)
C - Chain tension/lube
S - Seat - is it there, fixed and comfortable?

Cheers,
Rick