me taking my ride test in the rain with a hidden cam.

S

sportrider

good job!!! the ride test is different here in Ca.
I give you props for doing it it the rain!!!:thumbup:

J

jsteinb95

Very cool!!! Good job. I give you props too for doing it in the rain. :thumbup:

H

HavBlue

The test is similar to many I have seen. Glad to see you did well. The California eye has got to be one of the hardest I have encountered. It is also the subject of many a new rider in California that didn't take the MSF classes to get the waiver. Why? Because so many fail that test. Stay safe out there and enjoy the ride..

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, weldone on the test, Is that all you have to do to be deemed competent?

For the "riding portion" of the test yes sir. There is also a written test which compromises half of the questions from the driving test, and the full test for the motorcycle riding. That is what California has anyway.

Cheers.

I know the driving competency tests are a lot stricter in Europe. What did you have to do to obtain your Motorcycle License in the U.K.?

finboz

stealth browser
Reaction score
Visit site
Compulsory basic training

Here's where everyone starts, and the title means just what it says. It is usually completed within a day, and it's designed to make sure you've reached a certain standard before you are allowed to ride on the public road. If you have your own bike, you can use it for CBT (and the rest of your training), but many people train on one of the school's bikes (prices vary, from about £95 per day is normal). You'll need to come dressed sensibly - at least jeans and a sturdy, preferably leather, jacket, and strong boots - but most places provide helmets, gloves, waterproofs and a dayglo bib for safety. The first thing the instructor will do is check your documents to make sure your licence is in order. Then you'll have to take an eyesight test - you should be able to read a normal car number plate from a distance of 20.5m (if you wear glasses you must wear these for training and the test). Then it's into the classroom for a talk on the aims of CBT, and a discussion about clothing and equipment. Next it's out on the training pad (usually a large, empty car park) to learn what the various bits of a bike actually do. You'll be shown how to put the bike on and off its stand, which will help you get a feel for the balance of the machine.

Then you'll start riding. You'll learn the basics of clutch control,pulling away, stopping under control, emergency stops, U-turns and normal turns, all in the safety of the training area. The instructor will be constantly assessing how fast you're grasping what he's teaching, and if you need more help or time on one particular aspect, you'll get it. Once he's happy with your progress, and your head's buzzing with new information, you'll go back into the classroom to cram it full with some more. This stuff is as important as the riding itself. You'll cover the legal aspects of riding a bike, highway code theory and the effects of traffic conditions and weather conditions on the way you ride, as well as the need to be visible to other road users. Some of it will be familiar territory to anyone with a car licence, but the instructor will emphasise the very different attitude you need to ride a bike.

CBT ends with a minimum two-hour instructor-accompanied road ride. On the ride, you'll cover positioning at junctions and crossroads, roundabout protocol, pedestrian crossings and traffic lights, U-turns on the road, and more emergency stop practice. Once you've proved you've mastered these basics, you'll be issued with form DL196, and you can go on to the next stage.

Once you've got your CBT, you'll have to take a theory test, to prove you've got a grasp of road signs and the theory behind staying safe on the road.

finboz

stealth browser
Reaction score
Visit site
Practical Test

The practical motorcycle test was designed to test whether you can ride confidently and safely on the road.

Before the practical test starts the examiner will test your eyesight. You must be able to read a licence plate from 67 feet (20.5 metres) away. Don't forget your glasses or contacts if you usually require them. You will get two chances to read the number plate correctly. You must pass the eyesight test or the practical test will not continue. Follow this link for more details on the eyesight requirements

Safety Check Questions
The examiner will ask you two 'show me, tell me' questions (also called the Safety Check Questions). If you answer one or both of the questions incorrectly then a driving fault will be recorded on your test sheet. You can download and study the Safety Check Questions

Next the examiner will help you fit a one way radio which has an ear piece designed to fit beneath your helmet. The examiner will give you instructions via the radio while you are riding on the road.

Test Exercises
When you hit the road, the examiner will ride behind you on a motorcycle or in a car. Apart from assessing your general riding skills and adherence to traffic laws and signs, you will also need to complete a set of special exercises. The examiner will explain each exercise to you before you have to perform it.

The exercises you will have to perform are:

An emergency stop - the examiner will be on foot for this one and will give you a signal to stop. You must apply both brakes and come to a halt as quickly as possible without locking your wheels
Walking with the motorcycle - you must walk your motorcycle and show that you can use its stand properly
A U turn - the U turn will be performed on the road, so proper observation is crucial. Don't put your foot down during the turn!
A hill start - you must pull away smoothly
An angled start - this is done from a parked position and the key is forward and backward observation
Slow riding - this is to test your balance and handling of the bike at slow speeds

Pillion Question
At the end of the practical motorcycle test you will also be asked at least one question about riding with a pillion passenger or a load

finboz

stealth browser
Reaction score
Visit site
The Motorcycle Theory Test

You must bring your licence with you for inspection at the theory test centre. You must take both the photo card and paper counterpart. If you have an old school paper licence with no photo, then you must also take some form of photo ID, like your passport. You aren't allowed to take any belongings into the test room, but there are lockers provided. Mobiles must be switched off.

Multiple Choice Questions
The test is done on a computer touch screen. You get 15 minutes practice time to get used to the screen before the real test starts. When the test starts the questions are shown one at a time and you enter your answer by touching your choice on the screen. You can scroll back and forth between the questions and change your answer if you wish. You have 40 minutes to answer the 35 questions.

Hazard Perception Test
The hazard perception test is also done on the computer touch screen. Road scenes are shown and you have to click when you see any potential hazards develop. The quicker you notice the hazard the higher your score. Each candidate will be tested on 14 film clips chosen at random from a series of 200.

Overall the motorbike theory test will take about one hour. You will get the motorcycle theory test result on at the end of the test.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the "riding portion" of the test yes sir. There is also a written test which compromises half of the questions from the driving test, and the full test for the motorcycle riding. That is what California has anyway.

Cheers.

I know the driving competency tests are a lot stricter in Europe. What did you have to do to obtain your Motorcycle License in the U.K.?
I do you a miss service my friend. When I did my teat in the 80's I had to do four left turns and four right turns/ then a combination of left and right turns to form a figure eight. Then finally I had to execute an emergency stop.
Riders like Jonac had to do the whole being followed by an an examiner test. The funny thing is. When I did my car test ( I have only driven a car for five years) because I had a full bike ticket I didnt even have to do the theory. OTOH The new bike test is so much better.

'

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Motorcycle Theory Test

You must bring your licence with you for inspection at the theory test centre. You must take both the photo card and paper counterpart. If you have an old school paper licence with no photo, then you must also take some form of photo ID, like your passport. You aren't allowed to take any belongings into the test room, but there are lockers provided. Mobiles must be switched off.

Multiple Choice Questions
The test is done on a computer touch screen. You get 15 minutes practice time to get used to the screen before the real test starts. When the test starts the questions are shown one at a time and you enter your answer by touching your choice on the screen. You can scroll back and forth between the questions and change your answer if you wish. You have 40 minutes to answer the 35 questions.

Hazard Perception Test
The hazard perception test is also done on the computer touch screen. Road scenes are shown and you have to click when you see any potential hazards develop. The quicker you notice the hazard the higher your score. Each candidate will be tested on 14 film clips chosen at random from a series of 200.

Overall the motorbike theory test will take about one hour. You will get the motorcycle theory test result on at the end of the test.
Mate a great post. That detailed all you need to know to get on two wheels in the UK>