MCN comparo Diversion vs FZ6 VS new Bandit vs. CBF600

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anybody across the pond has a copy of the June 17th MCN magzine with the above comparison? I am curious to read all of it. Issuu has part of it. Thanks.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
also interested in this as the diversion is the same engine and suspension as the FZ6R from what i understand...

S

sm00thpapa

Yeah the same but the Diversion gets Anti-Lock brakes while us FZ6R owners don't. :(

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Same with FZ6, most people get it with ABS. Bandit also has ABS. I wish we did. I had a couple of moments where I locked my brake and was skidding. Close calls..

S

sm00thpapa

Yeah ABS helps out a lot and should be standard on all bikes. I rode in the rain for a bit and did a quick stop and my rear wheel skid for about 5 feet before I stopped.

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
Anybody across the pond has a copy of the June 17th MCN magzine with the above comparison? I am curious to read all of it. Issuu has part of it. Thanks.

Dont have it but I read it.
Basically they were not very complimentary of the Diversion saying it lacked power.
The Honda was boring with the Bandit coming top as an all rounder.
Second was the Fazer with them saying although the fastest ,not the best all rounder with the dreaded "lacks torque" quote.
They said the Fazer would be good to take the long way home on your commute and they would like to see it given the new R6 lump,though how that would improve torque when its even more track focused I dont know.:;)

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Dont have it but I read it.
Basically they were not very complimentary of the Diversion saying it lacked power.
The Honda was boring with the Bandit coming top as an all rounder.
Second was the Fazer with them saying although the fastest ,not the best all rounder with the dreaded "lacks torque" quote.
They said the Fazer would be good to take the long way home on your commute and they would like to see it given the new R6 lump,though how that would improve torque when its even more track focused I dont know.:;)

Typical magazine drivel. On this side of the pond we also have an MCN magazine, Motorcycle Consumer News. While it shares initials, it seems to be a better rag IMO. They don't have ads and the content is aimed more at adult, experienced riders. They compared the FZ6 to the Honda in 2004 and picked the FZ6. In 2007 it was compared to the Ninja 650R and Suzuki 650. The Z won hands down.

Motorcycle Consumer News - MCNews.com - The most complete, most detailed and most accurate information about every aspect of motorcycling.

Tim

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Same with FZ6, most people get it with ABS. Bandit also has ABS. I wish we did. I had a couple of moments where I locked my brake and was skidding. Close calls..
Muhahaha! I've got it on my Fazer. :p I love it, never going to buy a bike without ABS now (unless I buy a funky old custom chopper rat bike I've had my eye on). It's kicked in a few times and I'm glad I've got it! :cheer:

S

sm00thpapa

Muhahaha! I've got it on my Fazer. :p I love it, never going to buy a bike without ABS now (unless I buy a funky old custom chopper rat bike I've had my eye on). It's kicked in a few times and I'm glad I've got it! :cheer:

I'm so jealous I want ABS on my FZ6R. Enjoy your Fazer....

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am jealous too! Kudos to Suzuki USA for offering ABS on the SV, SV650SF, DL650 and Bandit 1250! If they offered it on the GSX650F in the US I would be trading in my bike...

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I am jealous too! Kudos to Suzuki USA for offering ABS on the SV, SV650SF, DL650 and Bandit 1250! If they offered it on the GSX650F in the US I would be trading in my bike...
Lol. ABS was one of the things that put the FZ6 over the GSXF when I was looking. Although there were many reasons - I listed them on my site in my signature if anyone is interested.

The 650 engine is soooo smooth compared to the FZ6, sometimes, when I've been riding on the motorway for 30 mins or so and my arms are buzzing - I wish I'd gone for the heavier, smoother bike I remember test riding!

Strangely enough, there are a few references around the net of the GSX650F getting ABS for the 2009 model - although the Suzuki sites don't seem to agree with this... Can anyone confirm or deny this?

S

sm00thpapa

Can we get after market ABS added to the FZ6R? I know some company can make it.

Ravenfz09

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a suggestion... go to borders. they have that magazine and many others from across the way

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not in Boston, I haven't found this British weekly motorcycle magazine. They have BiKE and TWO, but not MCN

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Can we get after market ABS added to the FZ6R? I know some company can make it.

I strongly doubt it - at least not easily. I've read about this a lot over on the V-strom forums (DL650 is sold in ABS and non-ABS versions in North America). There's the computer control device(s) as well as everything you have to do to the brakes themselves. Apparently on the V-Strom there are a lot of other minor differences in design that make it impossible to 'plug and play' with the ABS setup or modify it easily to retrofit a non-ABS bike. The actual cost post-production seems to be much more than the $500-700 extra (or $1000+ on a BMW) that you pay on a new bike that comes with ABS.:(

I was convinced I had to have ABS until I bought my FZ6. The brakes are sooooo much better than on my last bike (a cruiser) that I'm not so sure. If I'd had the option on the FZ6 I would have gotten ABS, but I don't feel like I'd trade her in for an ABS bike at this point.