maverick1970's Project StreetFighter

nsikes

Reaction score
Visit site
Is the triple tree cast aluminum??

If it is cast, I would bet that you lost significant strength when cutting it out.

I work with a bunch of mechanical engineers and I will ask them more on Monday, but that is my hunch.

I love the look, but just want to make sure you guys are staying safe.

(Disregard this if they are not cast, I would go look at mine but am too lazy...)

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site

nsikes

Reaction score
Visit site
UMMMMMMM

From what I know about cast (some but not an expert) filling the holes will NOT increase the integrity.

Likely there wouldn't be any problems (how much force is on a triple tree unless you are in a crash), but that is one area that I personally would not touch.

I bet you could have a nice replacement made out of solid aluminum and machined. It would be just as nice, and definitely safer...

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
They are cast. I could model it in FEA and do a stress test, but there isn't that much force in the area. For looks I would leave somewhat of a nub of material sticking up instead of flat with a hole.

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I received a TCP Seat Cowl that I bought from Makanouchi. :steve:

I will be having it painted black as soon as I get the headlight. Thanks bro for the fast shipping!!!

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I forgot to mention that I took my top clamp to a body shop yesterday to have them fill the holes with aluminum welding. Should have it back on Thursday. I'll update with pics when I get it back from 'em.

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my shortened throttle and clutch cables in from Motion Pro today. I've got everything installed and it looks good.

The problem I've got now is that my clutch will not engage. I pull the clutch lever in and can see that it pulls the clutch rod but while holding the clutch in it will not engage (the bike won't roll while in gear and when I start the bike and put it in gear with the clutch was engaged, it goes forward as if I didn't even have the clutch pulled).

Any ideas?

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
OK never mind I figured it out.

When I reinstalling the PUSH LEVER ASSY (Picture #25 / Part #5VX-16340-00-00) the clutch wouldn't engage. I discovered that there is a little bit of free play in the PUSH LEVER AXLE (Picture #22 / Part #5VX-16382-00-00) and when I reinstalled the PUSH LEVER ASSY, the PUSH LEVER AXLE was turned counter clockwise vise all the way clockwise. All is good now.

Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Yamaha 2008 FZ6 CLUTCH

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my top yoke back today from the shop after having them filling the holes with aluminum weld. I will be getting it painted black along with the seat cowl and headlight when it comes it.

5592b19e.jpg

b1964fa9.jpg

79c85d9b.jpg

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! Powder coating might be better than paint...

You think so... I initially considered powder coating but I've got to get my seat cowl and headlight painted and figured I'd have the clamp painted at the same time. Wanting to stick to the same colors and am afraid the powder coat will have a different shade of black. Besides, I've got enough paint leftover from when I painted the tank, fender, and rear fairing. It would be free as where the powder coating would only cost me for cash.

So much work to put clipons and make the fz6 a racy bike. You could have as well bought an R6 used and made it naked.

Thank you for your comment as they are welcomed. I consider that my bike and I are evolving together as we transform through into a different era of my life. If I where to go a buy another bike, I don't feel the personal soul would be there. You dig?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So much work to put clipons and make the fz6 a racy bike. You could have as well bought an R6 used and made it naked.

But the FZ looks sooooo much better, and goes just about as well around the track, once you get it sorted....

:rockon:

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Maverick--where are you getting your seat cowl painted. I painted mine black but I did a shody job...looks o.k from a distance but up close I can tell it wasn't done to standard.

We need to get together, compare mods and ride sometime.

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a friend that I work with that used to do body work. He's got an air compressor and paint gun with experience so I take it to him. He also did the rest of my bike.

Yeah once I get my bike all together, we can definitely go for a ride.