Lorenzo and Simoncelli argue after QP!

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is good stuff! I think Marco is correct...I went back and watched the incident at the Valencia 2010 race and I think it was Jorge's fault.

motogp.com · Lorenzo and Simoncelli lock horns after QP

2011-por-simoncellilorenzopc_preview_big.jpg
lorenzo_qp_preview_big.jpg

--------

The disagreement stemmed from comments made by Lorenzo about Simoncelli’s riding style, and with the media fanning the flames the duo were drawn into an open discussion which can be viewed in the attached video. Below is a transcription of what was said between the two…

Marco Simoncelli: “Yes, I read something he said about my riding style but I don’t know, for me he said some wrong things because he said that last year in Valencia I touched him and he almost crashed, but it was not true because I was in front and he tried to pass me and made a mistake. He touched me and his tyre was on my leathers, from the leg to the shoulder, so for me it’s not a correct example. Another thing is that some years ago he was disqualified by Race Direction for his aggressive riding style, so for me he said a wrong thing.”

Jorge Lorenzo: “For my part I think that yesterday I said the right words. For me it’s not a problem if it doesn’t happen, we’ll see what happens in the future.”

MS: “Yes, but you gave a wrong example, for me, from Valencia.”

JL: “I think you have touched with a lot of riders, no?”

MS: “Yes, but your example was wrong, for me.”

JL: “How many races have I not crashed in? I didn’t touch anybody.”

MS: “I said that your example was wrong, sorry!”

JL: “This is your opinion! But I think a lot of people here in the paddock, a lot
of riders, have the same opinion as me.”

MS: “Try to ask.”

JL: “Ask (Andrea) Dovizioso, for example. Ask (Hiroshi) Aoyama, for example.”

MS: “Ask Dovizioso in 2005!!”

JL: “It doesn’t matter. If nothing happens in the future, it’s not a problem for me. But if something happens with you in the future, it will be a problem.”

MS: “Okay. I will be arrested!”

(Goop: At this point the crowd laughs and Jorge it clearly fuming....)

JL: “This question, everybody is laughing, but it’s not funny because we are playing with our lives. We are riding at 300km/h and we are on bikes which are very powerful and very heavy. It’s not minibikes. It’s a dangerous sport and you have to think about what you are doing. It’s okay, I am ready to fight with all the riders, but I don’t like to fight not clean. It’s the way. I injured myself a lot of times, I made De Angelis crash in Japan which was my fault, my mistake, so from that moment I’ve always tried to ride clean. I can make a mistake because I am human but normally when I am riding I think twice about things. I am not impulsive because it’s one thing to play with your health, and another thing to play with the other riders’ health.”

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting stuff, Lorenzo has definitely matured as a rider....obviously, he has a premier class Championship! You dont win one of those without being a mature, superior rider, especially in the current "climate" in moto GP, with seriously good opposition in the form of Pedrosa, Stoner, Rossi, etc...

Marco is probably on the cusp of joining that group, and will join that group, if he can stay on his bike more often!

I think Lorenzo see's Simoncelli as a serious threat in the near future (possibly right now!)....2nd on the grid for tonight's race....and clearlythe most consistently fast rider so far this weekend.

So is this just another case of a Rossi/Stoner style fued??? Where the more experienced rider is trying to "psych out" the up and coming star???

So maybe thisfued is not so much about the incident, or incidents, in particular, but more a case of "mind games"???

All i know is, it is great for Moto GP, to have rivalries, and riders battling for the high ground, both on and off the track.

From what we have seen in Moto GP in the last season or so, Lorenzo has matured into a very clever, consistent, and clean racer, in Lorenzo....

As for Marco, he has been battling with less than the best bike, and as such, has probably had to try a bit too hard on occasions to keep himself, in, or near the "main game" at the pointy end of the field...

Now Marco is on more competitive machinery, his results are showing major signs of improving....and as such Lorenzo feels threatened.

There is no point in him attacking the likes of Rossi, Stoner, or Pedrosa, off track, cause he knows all 3 of those riders are now "veterans"at dealing with such bi-play, and will either let it wash off like water off a ducks back, or worse, use it to motivate themselves to get past him....but in Marco, Lorenzo see's an easy target, who he can possibly put off his game, by verbal intimidation...

but from this encounter, it looks as if Marco is just about ready to deal with such tactics himself....

Cant wait for tonight's race, and would love to see Marco win....even if it mean's he finally cuts his sideshow bob hair!!!

:thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the incident in question, in case anyone has forgotten....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRPshF5Pbsg]YouTube - Fierce competition[/ame]

Clearly Simoncelli is correct in his assessment of the situation:thumbup:.

I have a lot of time for Lorenzo's riding style and ability. It is smooth, fast, and clean (except this one...lol). Simoncelli has been clean too so far this year, and Jamie may well be bang on in his call that he won't have to do that any more now he's on a better machine.

I think Lorenzo needs to just concentrate on his racing. He stands a great chance of winning back to back championships now that the LART has set Casey back one race.

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was 100% Lorenzo in the wrong @ Valencia 2010.

Marco is aggressive, but I can honestly say all the races ive seen him in, he's only done wrong once, the last year of 250's @ Mugello in a wet race from memory.

Lorenzo, you may be on a Yami, but get back in your frigging cage boy :Flip:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was 100% Lorenzo in the wrong @ Valencia 2010.

Marco is aggressive, but I can honestly say all the races ive seen him in, he's only done wrong once, the last year of 250's @ Mugello in a wet race from memory.

Lorenzo, you may be on a Yami, but get back in your frigging cage boy :Flip:

Lol! i hope he aint catching Wossi's disease! :eek:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I would say that the way he threw away his lead last time out was a classic howler. He was well on the way to the win with no pressure and he binned it.

I have rated MS for a long time and it is only a matter of time before he wins. Maybe even today!

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's Jorge puffing his chest then Marco making him look silly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNZ1yX1X4u4]YouTube - Lorenzo and Simoncelli lock horns after Estoril QP[/ame]