Looking for ideas - engine braking, need a brake light on to warn others

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I take it you've still been tinkering with this then? Any updates?

Just today. . . There was a calm in the storm so I tinkered. . . Beyond that its too busy most of the time to tear things apart when its not needed (Lift tank :rolleyes:).

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm engine-braking a lot I admit... but if traffic is close nearby I gently tap the rear brake to engage brake light while downshifting (engine-braking).

Have tried to practice squeezing front brake while downshifting (like those dang racingdrivers) but that seems as equally hard as down shifting in a car while operating the hand brake at the same time :D

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ if your guy's front brake activates anything like mine, you can move the lever a good 3/4" before the lights come on (BRAKES ARE ON, but no light). The back however can be adjusted to perfection so the LIGHT is on long before the brakes are applied.

As for braking and down shifting (front brake), its just practice. Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

This idea/thread is just something to tinker with. If someone doesn't care for the idea - I'm not gonna loose any sleep over it. Just sayin. . . :rockon:

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Like someone already mentioned - an accelerometer based device is not that difficult to put together. This could be a seperate set of lights, so existing brake lights will not be affected. I think I can put together a simple device using an arduino + accelerometer to light up during deceleration. And being an arduino, it could also:
- measure battery voltage
- acceleration(log g-force during acceleration/deceleration)
- work as an alarm when bike is not running

Let me try to get something working this weekend to see if the theory works as good as it sounds :).

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually got pulled over once and couldn't figure out for the life of my why. I had all my gear on in a non-helmet state. When I asked the officer he said I didn't brake at the red light. I checked both my brakes and the light worked just fine. I then had to explain what downshifting was to him. Figure he just wanted to check my paperwork considering I actually knew how to ride and was actually wearing gear I probably looked suspicious since I was an anomaly.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually got pulled over once and couldn't figure out for the life of my why. I had all my gear on in a non-helmet state. When I asked the officer he said I didn't brake at the red light. I checked both my brakes and the light worked just fine. I then had to explain what downshifting was to him. Figure he just wanted to check my paperwork considering I actually knew how to ride and was actually wearing gear I probably looked suspicious since I was an anomaly.

So I guess you were let off with a "warning"?

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got around to put together the arduino and accelerometer and setup a simple circuit to trigger at different levels of acceleration/force applied. Here is a video of the device :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U_iDre_WPc]Arduino Nano + MMA8452 accelerometer - YouTube[/ame]

Right now it is setup to blink an led whenever I move it a bit of force. Small movements dont trigger it, although there is still scope for fine calibration to trigger at the right amount of acceleration/deceleration. And yeah, it triggers both while accelerating and decelerating, but it is easy enough to modify to trigger only while decelerating.

Its also a very sensitive setup, and can be used as a security device as mentioned earlier. Even the slightest movement will trigger it. So it can be set up as a touch/shock/vibration based security device when the bike is parked. And it can measure battery voltage, but I am yet to get around putting a display on it. Too much for a Saturday's work :).

I took it for a ride.... and was able to trigger the lights while applying brakes to stop. I also managed to get it to light while accelerating too, and it was fun knowing I was accelerating as hard as I could brake :).

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got around to put together the arduino and accelerometer and setup a simple circuit to trigger at different levels of acceleration/force applied. Here is a video of the device :

Arduino Nano + MMA8452 accelerometer - YouTube

Right now it is setup to blink an led whenever I move it a bit of force. Small movements dont trigger it, although there is still scope for fine calibration to trigger at the right amount of acceleration/deceleration. And yeah, it triggers both while accelerating and decelerating, but it is easy enough to modify to trigger only while decelerating.

Its also a very sensitive setup, and can be used as a security device as mentioned earlier. Even the slightest movement will trigger it. So it can be set up as a touch/shock/vibration based security device when the bike is parked. And it can measure battery voltage, but I am yet to get around putting a display on it. Too much for a Saturday's work :).

I took it for a ride.... and was able to trigger the lights while applying brakes to stop. I also managed to get it to light while accelerating too, and it was fun knowing I was accelerating as hard as I could brake :).

I can't watch the video at this time but am curious what range of use you started with? +/- 2G 3 axis accelerometer? The raw sensor is very inexpensive.

I like your thinking on its uses; i.e. some logic to determine the key is off and the bike was struck or is being moved = sound the horn or something.... Many possibilities!

In your line of work do you have such things around or is this pure hobby mode?

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't watch the video at this time but am curious what range of use you started with? +/- 2G 3 axis accelerometer? The raw sensor is very inexpensive.
I use this accelerometer : MMA8452Q from : https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10955

I had to fiddle around a bit to get the correct G(force) value for the trigger, the value used in the trigger is 1.5G I think.

I like your thinking on its uses; i.e. some logic to determine the key is off and the bike was struck or is being moved = sound the horn or something.... Many possibilities!

As for the ideas, I already have a fun one lined up too.: Gyro Camera for Motorcycle

In your line of work do you have such things around or is this pure hobby mode?

I used to work on embedded electronics earlier, now its just a hobby. Its just more fun this way.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
This is really cool. Another idea involving the Arduino board(these boards are sooooo much fun) : Find a suitable vacuum line to tap into, that has a variable vacuum on decel vs accel. Then you need a pressure sensor and board, tie it into the Arduino, and the result should be the same, after some tuning of course. Downside is it's a bit more expensive, and of course sourcing a pressure sensor that'll survive being on a motorcycle. Hmmmmm.........time for some fun.

Pulsar : How is that going to handle cornering though? Or really harsh bumps? Other than that, it's looking really good!

Last edited:

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is really cool. Another idea involving the Arduino board(these boards are sooooo much fun) : Find a suitable vacuum line to tap into, that has a variable vacuum on decel vs accel. Then you need a pressure sensor and board, tie it into the Arduino, and the result should be the same, after some tuning of course. Downside is it's a bit more expensive, and of course sourcing a pressure sensor that'll survive being on a motorcycle. Hmmmmm.........time for some fun.

Pulsar : How is that going to handle cornering though? Or really harsh bumps? Other than that, it's looking really good!

With pressure sensor, keeping the sensor clean will be a challenge. Dust might affect the working of the sensor, although I have not tested one. Again, it might involve more work than just placing the accelerometer on the bike.

Cornering can be easily handled - isolating one axis of the 3-axis accelerometer. I have already tested a version which works in one direction and further filtered to trigger only for deceleration. Tilt will not affect it, atleast in theory. At extreme lean/cornering/tilt, there might be some effect, but I guess its ok to turn on the stop light when you are at maximum lean angle :).

Just need some suggestion on the best flash pattern for :
1. Running lights(slow flashing/dim,slow flashing?)
2. Braking/Deceleration/Slowing down indicator(Bright Quick flashing?)
3. Brake indicator(I will couple the LEDs with the regular brake light, solid light?)

I will be using two seperate pods for these lights with 8-10 bright red LEDS.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Good point, I forgot about contaminants getting inside the pressure sensor. Even a tiny spec of dust or moisture will kill one. Those things are too sensitive for this application. Jeez, I must've been really tired when I posted that. Fridays, I swear! lol

Can't wait to see this thing finished. :thumbup: