Looking for helmet for my 14yr old son

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear a large Shoei Rf1000, and I had him try it on, do see how it would fit him. It was loose in the forehead, I was able to get two fingers under the pad, my palm facing away from his forehead. The check pads were very loose able to put all my fingers on each side of his check. When I pulled from the back it didn't really move all that much forward, but when I pulled from the front it really moved. He has a egg shaped oval of a head, narrower in the front of his head, looking at the top of his head. I'm not sure if a medium or small Rf1000 would work, or a different type of helmet.

x47b3207

Dave.
Reaction score
Visit site
You do not want an improper fitting helmet. If you can wiggle it around and especially if you can, with effort, pull the helmet off his head while the neck strap is on, it's too big. Buy him a helmet that fits "today" not one to grow into. My suggestion is to either try it on in the store or be willing to ship it back if it does not fit if you buy on-line (Don't live with it).

At least at my local cycle gear shop, the crew is pretty knowledgable and can help you properly fit a helmet.

ps. Helmets also break in a little, when I buy mine they are always a little snug but after a couple of months they fit perfect.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I would not be willing to spend more than a couple hundred dollars on a 14 YO's helmet..... they will out grow it before they thrash it.

In all honesty, any DOT approved helmet is going to offer very nearly the same protection as a helmet that costs 5-6 times as much. It's features and comfort you pay extra for.

HJC, or any of the 2nd or 3rd tier mfgs would be more than sufficient -- if they really like riding, and want a cool helmet, they need to be working towards the purchase, right?

Definitely, buy what is local and your son can try on. Check out places you might not think of... Walmart carries MC helmets on occasion.

NewEnough.com was running a screaming deal on HJC CL15's a few days ago. $39-89 for their left over stock.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Start here and about 1/4 of the way down the page, they discuss head shapes. Motorcycle Helmet FAQ - webBikeWorld

Then, go here and select based on that shape: Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

I'd suggest that if you want to order online, go to local shops and have him try on MANY of them to find the one that fits, then take that make/model and go home and Google for the best deal. Call the shop you found it at and tell them you'll buy it there if they match the price, give the local guy at least a chance. :D

These guys are right, no one should be in a poorly fitted helmet and that means you as well. You need to replace yours. ;)