Looking for .22lr pistol

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the market for a fun little pistol that's cheap to keep, and feed. I'm looking at the GSG 1911, Sig 1911, Ruger SR22, the Walter p22.

Any thoughts? :confused: There's a gun show in two weeks, and I hope to buy then.

yblaser

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Yasko,

I'm not a big gun nut, but my first handgun was a P22 back in `02. It was a fun first gun but the grip was quite small for my big hands and I did have a fair number of failure to fire or failure to eject issues. I had to leave the gun with some friends when I moved back to California as the threaded barrel made it illegal here. I bought a GSG 1911 a couple of years ago and I have enjoyed it. I've only had a chance to put a few hundred rounds through but so far it had been reliable for a .22 even with cheap ammo. In the end it really depends on what you want out of the gun. For me I'm just looking for something fun to shoot and not looking for superb accuracy or reliability.

-Peter

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Yasko,

I'm not a big gun nut, but my first handgun was a P22 back in `02. It was a fun first gun but the grip was quite small for my big hands and I did have a fair number of failure to fire or failure to eject issues. I had to leave the gun with some friends when I moved back to California as the threaded barrel made it illegal here. I bought a GSG 1911 a couple of years ago and I have enjoyed it. I've only had a chance to put a few hundred rounds through but so far it had been reliable for a .22 even with cheap ammo. In the end it really depends on what you want out of the gun. For me I'm just looking for something fun to shoot and not looking for superb accuracy or reliability.

-Peter

A little more info. This will be my first hand gun. It will be to learn, and for fun. I like the cheap to feed for the .22lr pistols, and I'm trying to stay at $400 or less.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Ruger makes an extensive variety of .22's depending on whether you want a target type, lightweight back-pack type, or a scaled down center-fire model. Personally I'm partial to Mk II's as they have the old time original style, with the last shot hold open, and they are now appreciating!
Browning are nice too with a better take-down system since only an allen bolt or screw holds the barrel to the frame and they have lots of styles. You cant go wrong with either one. Used, condition is most important!

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Ruger makes an extensive variety of .22's depending on whether you want a target type, lightweight back-pack type, or a scaled down center-fire model. Personally I'm partial to Mk II's as they have the old time original style, with the last shot hold open, and they are now appreciating!
Browning are nice too with a better take-down system since only an allen bolt or screw holds the barrel to the frame and they have lots of styles. You cant go wrong with either one. Used, condition is most important!

The Mk II's are very nice, and I'll look at them later if I like shooting.:rockon:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A buddy of mine has a Ruger .22 that I can't shoot enough. He reviews it well; Says it's old, and hasn't given him any trouble.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
MkII ruger. Crazy accurate, awesome reliability. I've put about 10k rounds through one and I really liked it. The only thing I didn't like was the hooked front sight that tends to catch on holters but that's an easy enough fix.

Can't really go wrong with ruger anyway, expect in your wallet.

I highly recommend spending a lot of time with a .22 for practice sake. The skills transfer later to larger firearms and will pay dividends when you really need them.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I need something that I can carry in my bike gear. I'm going to get a cc later this summer. The Ruger, and Walter looks about the right size.:confused:

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
My Kimber fits under the seat, in the small of my back, or on my hip just as well as in any bag. No difference in Indiana between open and concealed carry, with a license.

I've got hundreds of mile carrying it and it's not bad.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
My dad picked up a walter .22 but I don't care for it much. Quite small, only medium accuracy. The threaded barrel and suppressor are cool but it's not really as useful as it could be. For the size, I'd got with a walther .380. Same size, more punch, fixed barrel for accuracy.

Sig mosquito or the ruger Mk whatever are good choices. I stay away from Keltec and HiPoint, personally. Owned a 9mm Keltech a while back and could barely hit the ground with it pointing down. Cheap, sloppy, dangerous.

I've always been partial to the ruger 22 single-six revolver. Another fine product with a classic feel to it. Usually comes with a cylinder for .22 magnum as well.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
If anyone can readily go out and buy an abundance of good 22 shells let me know. They don't fuxing exist down here. Think about that.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
They'll let you use a gun for the class.:rockon:

The Ruger SR22 is on top so far. :confused:

It has a fixed barrel, and it's small enough to carry.:thumbup:

Still open to ideas. The gun show is in two weeks.:thumbup:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mrs. Lefty has a Ruger .22 and it's a blast to shoot for pennies on the dollar. When I shoot my .357 or 9mm I feel like I'm throwing quarters at the targets. :eek:
She actually took my .357 to safety course and although it rocked her back on her heels she was number one in the class for accuracy.

I guess I should add that if I was just going to target shoot I'd get a nice .22. But for personal protection I'd go with something bigger that you don't have to be very accurate with to get someones attention..

Last edited:

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
.22 has served in a lot of roles for a long time. i would go middle of the road on the price. People will argue but a .22 pistol is a .22 pistol. Its not something that i would carry concealed ( not with 30% of the population under the influence of some drug) so my use of it would be limited. Don't get me wrong, its a dangerous weapon...

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
the .22lr has the ability to bounce around inside a body which makes it extremely dangerous if it hits a vital. but i know a .45 hollow point will stop someone if i hit them in the chest, even more so if i double tap. its a situation i hope i am never in but i want to be prepared

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're hit 3, or 4 times out of the 10 with a .22lr, it will make you stop and think about what you are doing.:eek: