Looking at purchasing an FZ6

Jinx

Reaction score
Visit site
First - Beginner to the bike world. Planning on getting a bike prior to my MSF course (will be training with friend to get basics down).

I'm going to be going over to look at a used 2007 FZ6 - private owner. Supposedly never been modded or dropped. What are some recommendations on things I should be looking for?

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
First - Beginner to the bike world. Planning on getting a bike prior to my MSF course (will be training with friend to get basics down).

I'm going to be going over to look at a used 2007 FZ6 - private owner. Supposedly never been modded or dropped. What are some recommendations on things I should be looking for?

:welcome:

Get the MSF course BEFORE you get on the FZ6 or any other bike. Don't forget to buy and WEAR appropriate riding gear. There are several - "I'm going to buy" or "I just bought a" threads with lots more info, just use the search function for stuff your interested in.

jrgimaging

Reaction score
Visit site
buy all gear first - including ARMORED jacket and ARMORED pants

take msf

buy bike

the fz6 is a good second bike. it's not a good first bike. you can get into a lot of trouble quickly and be well over your head. i would recommend you put at least 2000 miles on a different bike before you get an fz6 - something a lot cheaper and more throw-away lilke an older ninja 250.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with above post. Not the best first bike. It is a supersport in sheep's clothing...I am glad I first had a Ninja 500 which I put 3500miles on

mbruegge

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a new rider and I took the MSF class. My first bike is a 08 FZ6. If you respect this bike like any bike , you will be fine. My only beef with this forum is many people have the opinion that the FZ6 is not a starter bike. It is only dangerous if you dont respect its power. A 250cc can also be dangerous if you dont respect it !!!! Buy it and have fun.

jrgimaging

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a new rider and I took the MSF class. My first bike is a 08 FZ6. If you respect this bike like any bike , you will be fine. My only beef with this forum is many people have the opinion that the FZ6 is not a starter bike. It is only dangerous if you dont respect its power. A 250cc can also be dangerous if you dont respect it !!!! Buy it and have fun.

a 250cc ninja wont be doing 70mph at 6k rpm witha 14k redline while carrying a 280lbs fatty like myself

that is generally where the trouble starts

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good advice here but, I think he wants to know what to look for when looking at his prospective bike.

I never bought a used bike so I'm not much help. I think the FZ6 is pretty hard to trash so if it is in good shape and the price is right, go for it.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
a 250cc ninja wont be doing 70mph at 6k rpm witha 14k redline while carrying a 280lbs fatty like myself

that is generally where the trouble starts

From personal experience I can say the revs will be about 8k (with a 14k redline) and my 250 easily runs 70 with me and my grandson at combined weight of 320#. It's not gonna be as happy about it as the FZ6, but don't sell the 250 short.

Last edited:

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site

A lot of people who have a lot of experience disagree with you. A bike that puts out 90 hp in stock form isn't the best step up from a 10 speed if you want to live a long and prosperous life. A mistake that will just cause a moment of "awh sh#t" on the 250 could become a serious, expensive accident on the FZ6.

My assumption is that the vast majority of new riders will crash their first bike within 6 months. If you didn't - then I'm glad. The next new rider probably will. The advice to get a cheap used bike with low power and easy to find repair parts is good advice. After he's got 6 thousand miles or so on it and can control it properly - feel free to move up. The depreciation on a used Ninja 250 is tiny and the experience gained can be a lifesaver.

Literally.

I was going to say "priceless", but its not a joke. :rolleyes:

Link to crash poll below:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/main...w-long-had-you-ridden-before-you-crashed.html

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
What's the mileage on the 2007? I believe all the kinks had been worked out by the time the 2007 came around. With no mods, I'd be looking for general up-keep and the like. If it's a higher mileage bike there is more to ask about but with a newer 2007 that has NOT been modded, I'm at a loss.

Have 2007+ owners been have the stearing head bearing problem?

In my opinion, you're missing the most important point...starting on a smaller bike will generally make you a better rider in the long run. It takes a lot of skill to keep pace on a 250. High performance bikes make up for rider mistakes in a lot of ways, which ins't conducive to developing skills. A high performance bike's ability to mask/deal with mistakes usually ends abruptly. Abrupt introductions to the pavement can be expensive, painful, and leave the rider in shock as to how much of a total n00b they actually are.

Buy whatever you want, see if I blink an eye. But don't get bent out of shape about people's opinions....ignore them if you want.

Last edited:

Jinx

Reaction score
Visit site
Well.. I'd tell ya I'm responsible, but so does everyone else here...

Anyways, it was privately owned 2007, 5k Miles, for only $4.5k. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Guy was moving soon and didn't want to have to ship it with him so it was a pretty good deal.

Next question:
Is there any place online that will sell the throttle restrictors or should the local dealerships be able to get them?