looking at buying a 2004 FZ6

K Rig

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everybody, my name is K Rig, I'm fairly new to this forum
I'll be buying a used FZ6 very shortly now
since you guys are all practically experts I'm sure, does anyone know of any common issues with the 2004 model year that i should be aware of?
Thanks a million!

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep they're the best ones.Especially in black ;)

Oh alright then,they don't have any issues as far as any bike goes,reg oil change etc.It's to all intents an R6 lump,which is pretty bomb proof,but again it's all how you maintain it.
The later ones have a sexier swingarm, different subframe,clocks and brakes and the fueling was supposed to be smoothed out,but I like the full on nature of the early ones.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Hi everybody, my name is K Rig, I'm fairly new to this forum
I'll be buying a used FZ6 very shortly now
since you guys are all practically experts I'm sure, does anyone know of any common issues with the 2004 model year that i should be aware of?
Thanks a million!

Hey K,

I have a 2004 which I bought new and the only issue that I know is that of the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) recall. The new TPS that they install made the bike have much improved throttle response. Supposedly, the dealer puts some sort of punch mark on the frame by the VIN after the new TPS has been installed.

Hopefully you get the faster silver instead of the slower blue. :)

(The other poster alludes to black, but only blue and silver were available in the USA for 2004.)

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2004 FASTEST blue :Flip: and it has given me zero problems since I bought it new. It now has about 45,000km on the clock.

If the price is right do it!

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
one month ago I bought a black naked fz6 from 2004 with allready 19.000km
I am the 3th owner,

I have been riding it for 1500km now (due to bad weather) and it rides perfectly.
good at long trips, good at low rev, high rev, shifting, braking, no problems at all.
If the price is good, don't hesitate to buy one.

Burnspot

Reaction score
www.burningfiles.com
My 2004 only had the issues with the TPS in 2005 (shut down during acceleration...sucked), which the dealer replaced after some sweet talking, prior to the official recall. Since that episode, the bike has been completely trouble-free and strong. My wife and I started doing 2up on it all over the place last year and you can't tell much of a difference in available power when 2up, if any...its a good machine. It's up for sale down in the For Sale section here since I recently picked up my longtime dream bike - an FJR. :D

Last edited: