looking at a 2006 FZ6

jdinkc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello i am new here and am thing about an 06. The seller says he changed sprocket to sprocket set (2 up in the back 1 down in the front). I was wondering if this would affect the mileage of the bike?
It has about 6500 on it Two brothers exhaust, fender eliminator ,and newer tires for $3800. Any thing I should be looking for? Thanks for any advice.

Hi jdinkc
I just bought a 06 FZ6 and the one thing I heard was to check the steering bearings. Apperently there could be a problem with the factory ones. Mine were fine. Otherwise the FZ is the same as any other bike, so same questions apply.

Mike

I have a 2006 FZ6, which I purchased from the original owner about three months ago and had only 3,500 Km on it. I noticed a clunk in the front end when going over speed bumps. I saw posts noting that the 2006 had possible issues with the steering bearings and took the bike to the dealer for check / adjustment. The were able to tighten the bearings, but the clunk soon returned. Another adjustment and they were OK for about 2-3 weeks. I ordered bearings and just had them changed today. Apparently the old bearings were a mess, completely rusted. So there are definitely issues with steering bearings on some 2006 FZ6's. Listen closely for the clunk from the front end and a feeling that the steering is a bit unstable. The cost of new bearings is about $100 for a complete set and a shop will take about two hours to install. If the price is right, it still might be a good buy.

Check out the company All Balls, they are supposed to have a very good set of replacement bearings. the run around $35.00 and you should be able to get a shop to install, if unable to do the work yourself. Personally I will be buying a set just to make sure I have them if needed and if not required then maybe a winter project.

Back