Looking at '07 FZ6

nastutts

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking at purchasing a '07 Yamaha FZ6. I talked to a salesman at a dealership and he suggested the FZ6. I told him that this would be my first bike, and he thought with a safety class that I will be taking soon I should enjoy the FZ6 as my first bike.

I have found an '07 on craigslist with 9,900 miles on it. The bike has had one owner with regular service and maintenacne. The price is $3,500 negotiable. I do not have any experience buying bikes obviously, so I had a few questions for you guys:

1. Should 9,900 miles concern me?

2. What would be a good price to offer?

3. I can't do a test drive, so what kind of things should I look for upon visual inspection?

Thanks for your help!

1. Those miles are not nearly high.

2. $3500 sounds like a bargain already; but if you can get it cheaper go for it.

3. Chain / Sprocket / Tire wear, oil level and color, strange noises when running, etc. Make sure there are service records (don't just take his word for it) or receipts if the owner did his own work.

1. Those miles are not nearly high.

2. $3500 sounds like a bargain already; but if you can get it cheaper go for it.

3. Chain / Sprocket / Tire wear, oil level and color, strange noises when running, etc. Make sure there are service records (don't just take his word for it) or receipts if the owner did his own work.

Agree with all of the above. Just want to add that question #3 has been covered many times here. No sense to re-state what's already out there. Read through some (or all) of these: http://www.600riders.com/forum/search.php?searchid=55185

Sounds like a great deal to me if it's been maintained and not wrecked.
There are plenty of FZ6's on this forum with well over 50,000 miles. You are getting the bike for almost 50% off what it cost new...heck of a deal I'd say.

I would not suggest the FZ6 as a first bike, regardless of the price.

elaborate? It's a great first bike for a mature individual who can control their right wrist! I learned to ride on my brother's Ninja 250R for a few months but the FZ6 was my first bike and I have no regrets...going on 5 years of ownership!

First :welcome: to the forum.

Check out this thread one of our members Jonnylikesvtwins had a great writeup of what to look for and check out when buying used.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/36917-dilemma-new-used.html

Absolutely buy used! Having owned more than 25 motorcycles in my life, but having only bought 1 of them new, I have some great guidelines for your purchase:

1) Avoid buying a used motorcycle from a dealer (the dealer either had to purchase the bike outright from an auction, insurance company, finance company, or the owner himself/herself), that means that in order to survive, the dealer MUST mark it up. So, buy a used bike from the owner.
2) Make sure that the owner has kept ALL of the service/maintenance records, and make sure they have the title "in-hand". If they have not, then pay them substantially less than they are asking for the bike. It is always helpful to try to judge the previous owner's attitude toward the bike & condition of it. Never buy a bike from someone who does not care for it. Peoples' attitudes toward their possesions reflect greatly on their "care & feeding" of them.
3) Spend at least 10 minutes carefully looking over the bike; bring a flashlight & expect to crawl around on the ground. Look in every dark nook & cranny. Look at the frame, exhaust headers, underside of engine, sidecases, forks, brakes, rear shock, grips, under the seat, tire wear,etc. Actually, I try to look at so much stuff that the owner begins to feel nervous. Here's a tip: the longer that it takes the owner to feel nervous, the higher likelihood that the bike is in top shape.
4) Test ride the motorcycle where you can get up to at least 40mph in a straight line & let go of the handlebar to see if the bike pulls to one side strangely; if it does, WALK AWAY Test condition of brakes, shocks, steering bearings, etc while riding.
5) Show up with cash & make them a cash offer for 10%-15% less than what you are willing to actually pay for the bike, but please remember that your cash offer should be reasonable & respectful (but, who knows, you just might get it for that). There is something very difficult about refusing a cash-in-hand offer. Please, please, please do not insult the seller with an offer that it substantially less than fair-market-value.

If you have done these things, you are very likely to get a fantastic deal on a great used bike.

As for me, I just picked up an 08 FZ6 with 5,600 miles on it that was immaculate for $3,700!! (It was sooo clean that I was willing to pay $4,000, but they accepted $3,700 which allowed me to purchase & mount a set of new Michelin Pilot Powers) AND I LOVE IT!

As far as the FZ6 being your first bike their are many threads on this forum that debate it with people strongly defending both sides.

In my opinion the FZ6 is a fine starter bike I started on it and did an msf course and I loved my first FZ6. That being said a smaller bike such as a ninja 250 or honda rebel are great to learn the basics on but you will outgrow them fast. Good thing though the rebels and ninjas hold their value and new riders are always looking for them.

i got on the freeway the other day in second gear, i like to let my fz run wild once in a while, and for some reason she decided her front wheel would come up... never done that before :\ <----- does this make it a bad started bike j/s

that looks like a great deal...9,900 miles I'm gonna guess equals about
2 seasons of riding for NA typical pleasure use, it's still got at least 80%
of it's usable life left...If it ain't been dumped I'd be all over it

first, nice to see someone else from the triangle. congrats on getting into riding. we don't have the greatest of roads for it but we do have some of the best weather i think.

second, i'm one of those that does not think an fz6 is a good starter bike. but since that topic has been covered i won't go into here. if you're interested in reading the pros and cons there are a few threads you can search through. and if you're not willing to search through those threads then i'm not sure that any argument stated in this thread will matter anyway. :D

third, if it's the listing i'm thinking of there's a few things that jump out to me. first he says that the bike can get anywhere from 45-60 MPG. i don't care how soft of a rider he is... i don't see that happening. 40-50 would be somewhat believable. the reality is mid to low 40's. second, he mentions two dents from a low-side three years ago. that might not be bad. but it's something to ask a boatload of questions about and use to your advantage in talking the price down.

good luck in your BRC and stay safe.

third, if it's the listing i'm thinking of there's a few things that jump out to me. first he says that the bike can get anywhere from 45-60 MPG. i don't care how soft of a rider he is... i don't see that happening. 40-50 would be somewhat believable. the reality is mid to low 40's.

I believe it.

I get 50 mpg commuting to work on backroads every time in the summer. My record was 60 mpg I got cruising in the national park where the speed limit is 35 so I was staying under 45 mph....this bike can get great MPG at low speeds if you are NOT IN A CITY.

I believe it.

I get 50 mpg commuting to work on backroads every time in the summer. My record was 60 mpg I got cruising in the national park where the speed limit is 35 so I was staying under 45 mph....this bike can get great MPG at low speeds if you are NOT IN A CITY.

agreed

I have a 15T front and two bros exhaust these both hurt mileage also the extra revving I do because I like to hear the new exhaust hurts mpg even more:spank::spank::BLAA: and I avg 37 mpg when I commute to work in Los Angeles traffic. When I took it up to Santa Barbara and back I got 46 mpg and I am heavy on the throttle right now:D. Also my buddy who had a fully stock FZ6 told me he got around 52 mpg on that trip to SB. So the mpg on these bikes varies greatly depending on how you ride and what mods you got. If you want more stats on mileage I know there was a thread where people where posting their avg mpg I am just too lazy to look for it.

Well, I don't know your age, but the fact that you're posting on a forum before a purchase suggests to me you're not a "dumb 'n young" yahoo who can't wait to show off with exhibition, etc., and have a sense of caution. Thing is, I can't imagine that you being a first time rider that you won't drop the bike (making u-turn on steep grade, sliding on gravel/mud/dust,moisture), setting stand on soft ground/grass, etc., and a mulititude of other things that just about "everybody-learns-from-experience stuff." If bike doesn't already have frame sliders get'em ASAP! Price sounds good to me. You're not scared, eh, getting a 600 cc bike your first one? Alright, doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work. What was your first car: a Corvette? (joke).

Back