Locking nubs on new bar controls?

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a universal left hand control for my project bike I have going on, its meant to fit 7/8" bars which I have but inside there is a nub built into the casing which stops it from clamping cleanly onto the bar.

For anyone who has experience with an aftermarket hand switch assembly, am I supposed to grind this nub down? or is it supposed to crush as I tighten the screws clamping the two sides onto the handlebar? It is only aluminum I suppose.

Here's some photos of what Im talking about

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
People who change bars to the FZ1 bar (like i did) run into the same problem.

A lot of them just file the nubs down and never have a problem with the controls rotating.
(i doubt it's aluminium, it's probably all plastic).

In my opinion the nubs are mostly there to help during assembly at the factory, so that all the bikes have the controls exactly at the same position.
Just put the controls in the matching bar hole, perfect location every time, done.

Personally i still drilled a hole in my bar so that i didn't have to file the nub, but hey, i am pretty OCD with things like that.

All that to say, that no, it won't crush on it's own, you can either file it down, or drill your bar.

Flat_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
People who change bars to the FZ1 bar (like i did) run into the same problem.

A lot of them just file the nubs down and never have a problem with the controls rotating.

In my opinion the nubs are mostly there to help during assembly at the factory, so that all the bikes have the controls exactly at the same position.
Just put the controls in the matching bar hole, perfect location every time, done.

Personally i still drilled a hole in my bar so that i didn't have to file the nub, but hey, i am pretty OCD with things like that.

All that to say, that no, it won't crush on it's own, you can either file it down, or drill your bar.

What he said. You can grind it down or drill a hole, but it will not crush.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting, Okay thanks for the replies, Ill probably grind it down then use some tape underneath it to keep it from moving about, I don't want to deal with drilling my bar with the tools I have access to at the moment

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site

Its actually a completely aluminum piece, only plastic bits are the buttons, If anyone is looking for a good quality replacement left hand control switch I would recommend this one, its DOT approved and really quite attractive being all matte black. Its a K&S 12-0041B.