ThrottleMeister Install

Thbrtmn

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll try to make this brief and as much to the point as possible.
First: Decide if the throttlemeister is the Right Cruise Control/Throttle Locking mechanism for you. There are many options but I thought this was the nicest looking one.
Here is what I got:
ThrottleMeister - Heavy- Matte Black. Shipped-$155.90 usd.
I Got it from rlmotorcycles.com...just google "Throttlemeister" and they show up. Best and quickest shipping I have ever experienced. Ordered it mid day wednesday, got to me by USPS mail Friday morning.
Ok, here is what you get.
2 weighted ends one with the brass inner sleeve for the throttle friction.
2 inner adapters
1 Friction sleeve
2 Thick spacers
2 hex bolts to attach the weighted end to the inner adapter
A hand full of washers/shims in different sizes
and....Instructions
Looks like this:
picture.php

Next...You want to figure out what size hex key your stock weight end takes and remove it. My bike is a 2006 and it took a 4.5mm to remove it. (EDIT) From a previous thread that I started on "Bar end removal...it was clarified that there are two hex sized in the bar end. A 4.5mm INNER and an 8mm outer. The 8MM will give you more depth and leverage to removed the end...Thanks to SirIsaac for setting us straight. See Picture:
4851d1213808613-bar-end-weight-removal-fz6-bar-end-removal.gif

If you dont want your old ones, you can also "positively motivate it" with plyers. I had to do this since I didnt have a 4.5mm or an 8mm handy.
Here are some pics and the removal of the old:
picture.php

Once you have the stock end off your ready to begin.
First You get the Friction sleeve (that Black rubber looking thing) and put around the outside of the throttle tube which would put it under the rubber part of the handle grip. Instructions say to rool back an inch of the grip to get it around the tube but our grips wont "roll back" so just wiggle it around the tube and push it on flush with the end of the grip:
picture.php

picture.php

Now get the two "inner adapters" with the washers, spacers, and the Hex bolt screwed into it. The inner adapter looks the same for both sides but I used the one that had multiple size shims/washers on it.
picture.php

Once your ready, unscrew the Hex bolt from the end and then hold onto your washers/shims.
Now your going to take some Blue/medium locktite and put on the threads. Once you have done this, screw the adpater into the bar end. The flat sides in the picture on the adapter allow you to use a wrench to tighten it down...I believe the instructions tell you 10 foot pounds.
picture.php

picture.php

Now your ready to install the end. Here is where the different size washers/shims come into play. The instructions tell you washers first, then spacers into the end, so that the spacer is closest to the handlebar. They also tell you to try different combinations to adjust the friction of the end when you turn it from on to off. Off should give you the normal "spring" of the throttle and On should give you a locking position...but not locked enough to where you couldnt roll the throttle forward under the friction in case of an emergency. I tried multiple combinations and for now found that 1 thick washer plus the thinest washer gives me a happy medium of open, close, and in between. I may change this and remove the thin one...not sure... still need to get a feel for it.
See the picture above with the shims again on the inner adapter.
I put mine in the end first and then put the Hex bolt throught the bottom, got the hex bolt about hand tight screwing the end on and then test the turning and locking of the the throttle.

-------Continued-----

Last edited:

Thbrtmn

Reaction score
Visit site
------Continued-------
Throttle end:
picture.php

Putting the washers in:
picture.php

Once you find the right combo for your Locking...Put some blue/medium locktite on the threads of the hex bolt and "GIT-ER-DONE!"
I believe the hex key needed to tighten it up is a #5 metric.
After your done do the same thing to the Left side but without all the shim fitting. Just use the right combo for the left side that makes the end stick out as far as the right. You should have some shims left over...keep em. You never know if you'll need em.
Anyhow finished product looks like this:
picture.php

picture.php

The test drive today = HEAVEN :mikebike:

My commute to work each day is about 30+ minutes. 30 miles with about 27 of those freeway. Dont know why but I could be about 10 minutes into the ride and would have to squeeze in the clutch release the throttle, let my right hand rest about 3 seconds and then sensation starts coming back. I have been looking around for some sort of Throttle lock and decided on the ThrottleMeister. After using it today...its awesome....I dont have to apply any pressure to the handle bars...just enought to know that they are in my hands. All in all it took about 20-30 minutes to complete... Got interupted by dinner... Left side took a couple minutes just trying to get the end spaced right to the grip. Really great mod...just be careful you dont fall asleep after the addition;)
:Sport:

Last edited:

Thbrtmn

Reaction score
Visit site
Didnt know where to put this thread...sorry it was in the main. I also Didnt see a write up on this after a search so thought I could add one. If anyone has any questions about it, I'll do my best to answer. Thanks

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I see the spacers appear to be red, did they come with the kit or did you add them to match the bike?

It would be great if you could do a test run and give us some feedback on your opinion.

How does it actually operate?

I had Vista Cruise on my Intruder but this is a whole different set up.

Steve

Thbrtmn

Reaction score
Visit site
Luckily I didnt have to color coordinate it. The company who machines them actually puts that little red paint strip on it. Its not the best painting Ive seen but all they do is put the red paint in a little groove that is machined on the bar end.
As far as Operation...click on this link and you can see an actual little flash video of how it rolls on and off. Look for the Brass peice in the little gap expand out as he rolls it back towards you and then going back in when he rolls it forward. Back= trottle = friction= on....forward= throttle cut= no friction= off. When fully or mildly engaged...on... you can still manually roll the the throttle off with resistance for an emergency.
Sorry...Heres the link:
RL Motorcycles

Now...after one round trip yesterday to work...I found that it takes some finger work to roll it on while trying to keep a steady speed. One option is slide your hand out to the end of the grip, pinch the the throttle keeping it up to speed with thumb and fore finger while rolling on of the end with your pinky and ouside of your palm...Sounds complicated...I thought so to but you'll get a feel for it. Second, you can just roll it on before you even get on the road...you just have to manually work the throttle...it wont snap back to close if let go. Yesterday when I first tried it, I rolled it on amidst the gear changes when pulling in the clutch on the freeway onramp...squeeze clutch and roll off throttle, upshift while turning Throttlemeister to on rollback on throttle while releasing clutch
Not as easy as the flick of a thumb as with the Vista Cruise but it blends in and also you your friction is adjusted by how much "on" you roll.
Hope that helps.
P.S. I wonder if you could request a different color trim? HHHMMM

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for that explanation and the photos of course.

When it is engaged how tight does it hold the throttle?

With the Vista cruise I could let go of the throttle and it would stay where I had engaged it with the Vista.

But in an emergengy I could close the throttle while the vista was engaged, can you do the same with this throttle lock?

Stece

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I have read, you can still turn the throttle back with the lock on.

Im curious to know how much friction there is when you have it not functioning. That and did you notice a differance in handling with the heavier bar ends?

-bryan

Thbrtmn

Reaction score
Visit site
We have a 700 plus mile ride we're taking up towards Yellostone this weekend and a buddy of mine got the Vista Cruise since he didnt want to spend so much right now on the Throttlemeister. He says his goal is to get one and put one on though. His brother has one..now me... Peer pressure sucks...LOL:D I was checking his Vista out and it seemed REALLY close in friction when engaged as to how much force you have to roll forward to disengage the throttle. The difference between the Vista and the Throttle... is the varying degree of friction you can put on with the the Throttlemeister. With the Vista its on or off.
When fully locked you CAN still apply roll pressure an to cut throttle.

Bryan. When fully disengaged. You should have as much friction with the Throttlemeister as you would with non cruise control stock ends....NONE.
Thats where the shims come into play. It comes with enough different sized shims to where you can position the end where it WONT engage at all when fully on. As far as handling...no difference other than I can feel kind of a more steady throttle flow while riding when slightly of fully engaged. You would be suprised how much you roll on and off the throttle while riding... Or at least I was.
Vibration reduction...Jury still kinda out on that one. I was thinking of putting the stock back on on the left side and riding to work and see if I can feel any difference. Vibration may be slightly more than stock even though they are suppose to be heavy...but maybe Im more aware since I'm concentrating on that more.:don'tknow:

I'll take a Macro shot of the Meister disengaged and show you the difference of the two.

Hope that helps answer your questions so far.
Thanks

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great writeup! I installed mine last fall, set my new digital camera on the floor nearby to document the installation, but once I got started I forgot all about taking pics :eek: glad you did. I also really appreciate the info on engaging the lock while on the Interstate; the first time I stupidly used my left hand to roll on the lock! :eek: Disengaging it is much easier, fortunately.
I echo your comments about how well machined this item is. I'm a hobby woodworker, and love finely-made tools like Lie-Nielsen, Bridge City Toolworks, and some of the Japanese stuff. Quality is worth the cost! :thumbup:

Thbrtmn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Botch...
I have heard and read of others using their left hand to cross over and engage the TM...and to me it sounds scarry:eek: I dont like to much reach to the center of my bars more or less to the other side. I guess it could be done...but I think I'd rather be in the "READY" position if a good Gust of wind happens to come along. I have a remote for my IPOD that I have on my left handel grip that I use to forward/reverse, or raise/lower the volume of a song. Thats good enough reaching for me.
Thanks again all.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Bryan. When fully disengaged. You should have as much friction with the Throttlemeister as you would with non cruise control stock ends....NONE.
Thats where the shims come into play. It comes with enough different sized shims to where you can position the end where it WONT engage at all when fully on. As far as handling...no difference other than I can feel kind of a more steady throttle flow while riding when slightly of fully engaged. You would be suprised how much you roll on and off the throttle while riding... Or at least I was.
Vibration reduction...Jury still kinda out on that one. I was thinking of putting the stock back on on the left side and riding to work and see if I can feel any difference. Vibration may be slightly more than stock even though they are suppose to be heavy...but maybe Im more aware since I'm concentrating on that more.:don'tknow:

I'll take a Macro shot of the Meister disengaged and show you the difference of the two.

Hope that helps answer your questions so far.
Thanks

Thanks for the response! I have been looking into those for a couple months now. Maybe in the near future I can get them.

Thanks again.

-bryan

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I looked at the fiche on Ronayers.com
The part number for the handlebar ends hasn't changed between 06 and 08.

The part number for the handlebars did change, but I'm guessing that this is just a change in paint color or other minor difference.

My best guess it that it'll work.

Thbrtmn

Reaction score
Visit site
Also...the guy I mentioned earlier who has a Brother-in-law who has them on his bike. Is bike is an 08 R1 or R6..cant remember. I still owe a Macro shot...so dont let me forget. Thanks

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
Good write up... I laid my bike over today on the right and a new bar end is something I need. May look into getting some of these once I come up with the money.