Locating a Vacuum Line

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing a seafoam treatment to my FZ6 carbs. According to the Seafoam instructions, I should locate and pour the product in a vacuum line while the engine is running.

Can anyone point me to the best vacuum line for this?

In the pictures, are the two hoses with the red line part of the vacuum line?

Thx in advance!

FYI Seafoam instructions: Is Sea Foam Motor Treatment safe to use through a vacuum line? - Sea Foam Sales Company

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing a seafoam treatment to my FZ6 carbs. According to the Seafoam instructions, I should locate and pour the product in a vacuum line while the engine is running.

Thx in advance!

FYI Seafoam instructions: Is Sea Foam Motor Treatment safe to use through a vacuum line? - Sea Foam Sales Company

Those two hoses with the painted lines (and are plugged up) and two other vacuum lines (no lines painted-very close to/adjacent) are the vacuum lines for doing a throttle sync. (4 hoses total, painted hoses are 1 & 4 cylinders) .

Being its a 4 cylinder with 4 separate throttle bodies, you need to do each cylinder separatly. Most vehicles have ONE throttle body (or carb-you don't have a carb BTW), thus one vacuum line is all that's needed in that case.

If your going to do the cleaning this way, I'd find a syringe just so you can control the amount going into each cyclinder and also to hold it up against the end of the hose as tightly as possible as your creating a vacuum leak..

Go slow, your injecting a liquid into a cylinder and if TOO MUCH is injected, there is a potential for a hydralic lock..

Squirting thru the throttle bodies should work as well, but definitly start slow and keep the rev's up a bit..

Put the largest fan you can find in front of the headers/fan too...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Thx in advance!

I recognize that pic! ^^ :thumbup:

No matter how you slice it, some unjust will occur. But ya, a syringe and at least a single T and you do 1 & 4 and then 2 & 3 as pairs and meter it in to the TB sync lines shown here....

Or roll the dice. Under that vacuum sensor (bottom right) is manifold vacuum to all 4 ports. No guarantee all will pull fluid equally but a T there and your ready to go....

picture.php

Or - use something like this (See attached) w/a syringe to the Red X. Be very gentle in your application or bad things can happen!! :(

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunatly, if one cylinder is pulling harder than another, it will likely pull more fluid.

Squirting a specified / measured amount to each cylinder via each vacuum line would gaurentee equal amounts of Seafoam in each cylinder.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm only reading your replies now as I was giving the seafoam treatment a try on my own. In the picture (which I shamelessly stole off from someone in this forum, bahahaha), I took hose yellow out and verified it was sucking in air which it was. So I used it to pour the seafoam in. It did its white smoke etc.

However I'm reading here that I should have used the two smaller hoses at green and blue, or the two hoses at red to treat all 4 cylinders? Which cylinders have I been treating by pouring in hose yellow? Last question, why don't I have a carb? I thought all engines have one.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Carberators have a float chamber, a float, needle and seat, commonly used in older cars, lawn mowers ets. Works on air flow going past the throttle plate. Air flowing past thru the venturi picks up fuel per demand.

The FZ (and most newer engines) has fuel injection, completly different. What looks like carbs on your engine are "throttle bodies". They DO NOT supply ANY FUEL into the engine, just adjust air volume as you open/close the throttle/ throttle plates .

The TPS, Throttle Positioning Sensor senses the opening /closing of the throttle and relays that to the computer (ECU). Its a switch at the end of the throttle shaft that turns physical movement into an electrical signal for the ECU to read.

The ECU, now sends signals to the fuel injectors after passing thru a fuel rail. When you turn your key on initially, you hear a noise from inside the gas tank? That's the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel rail.

The ECU, takes the TPS signal and several other signals from different sensors and then figures out how much fuel to allow to be injected into the engine directly. The injectors are in just a little closer to the intake than the throttle bodies and are pressurized to about 35 PSI. This happens many times a second. The FZ happens to have TWO, 2 barrel throttle bodies ( 4 total for the 4 cylinders).

Considerably much more complex than a carb, but when working correctly, much more efficient..

Go to this parts web site and click on intake / fuel, etc;
2005 FZ6 - FZ6ST Yamaha Motorcycle Parts

You can see some of the different componants in the system.

Last edited:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Carberators have a float chamber, a float, needle and seat, commonly used in older cars, lawn mowers ets. Works on air flow going past the throttle plate. Air flowing past thru the venturi picks up fuel per demand.

The FZ (and most newer engines) has fuel injection, completly different. What looks like carbs on your engine are "throttle bodies". They DO NOT supply ANY FUEL into the engine, just adjust air volume as you open/close the throttle/ throttle plates .

The TPS, Throttle Positioning Sensor senses the opening /closing of the throttle and relays that to the computer (ECU). Its a switch at the end of the throttle shaft that turns physical movement into an electrical signal for the ECU to read.

The ECU, now sends signals to the fuel injectors after passing thru a fuel rail. When you turn your key on initially, you hear a noise from inside the gas tank? That's the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel rail.

The ECU, takes the TPS signal and several other signals from different sensors and then figures out how much fuel to allow to be injected into the engine directly. The injectors are in just a little closer to the intake than the throttle bodies and are pressurized to about 35 PSI. This happens many times a second. The FZ happens to have TWO, 2 barrel throttle bodies ( 4 total for the 4 cylinders).

Considerably much more complex than a carb, but when working correctly, much more efficient..

Go to this parts web site and click on intake / fuel, etc;
2005 FZ6 - FZ6ST Yamaha Motorcycle Parts

You can see some of the different components in the system.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the basics of fuel injection to me. Brings me to another question regarding pouring Seafoam in vacuum line - I read that carburetor uses vacuum to pull fuel in and by using seafoam it helps clean the fuel delivery system. Since fuel injection has its own pump and injects fuel directly into the engine, that means that the throttle body sync is providing air only. So by pouring Seafoam in a vacuum line, I basically just poured the product into the cylinders which does not clean the fuel delivery system. Since there is no carbon build up in the throttle body, then the seafoam treatment to the vacuum line is more or less useless other than maybe cleaning and lubing the pistons. Is that correct?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to explain the basics of fuel injection to me. Brings me to another question regarding pouring Seafoam in vacuum line - I read that carburetor uses vacuum to pull fuel in and by using seafoam it helps clean the fuel delivery system. Since fuel injection has its own pump and injects fuel directly into the engine, that means that the throttle body sync is providing air only. So by pouring Seafoam in a vacuum line, I basically just poured the product into the cylinders which does not clean the fuel delivery system. Since there is no carbon build up in the throttle body, then the seafoam treatment to the vacuum line is more or less useless other than maybe cleaning and lubing the pistons. Is that correct?

Ah yep, pretty much.

You would have also cleaned any carbon build up on the intake valve stems (jnside the intake runners in the head) besides de-carbonizing the piston/head/valves (which is GOOD).. That heavy treatment you performed should have worked better than diluted in fuel (at least for the top end).

Running it thru the fuel tank, will help clean the entire fuel pump, lines, filters, injectors, etc...

As you noted they do make throttle body cleaner for any carbon build up visable inside the body, before and after the butterfly. Seafoam WON'T clean this. You need the spray (basically a carb cleaner) sprayed down there as the engine is running..

BTW, Yamaha makes a product (very popular in the marine world) called "RingFree". It is CONSIDERABLY stronger and is used for cleaning the entire fuel system and top end (ALL two and four stroke engines). Its used in the fuel,
1oz / 10 gallons. I've been using it in the boat and ALL my gas engines for at least the last 3 years. You can mix it heavy without any bad results and is way stronger than Seafoam(which I also use). Highly recommended...

Last edited: