Little help for a new owner

gpd211

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently purchased an '05 in blue. What a neat bike. This is my first Yamaha. This bike is to replace a Honda Interceptor (VFR) that was totaled when it slid over a cliff on the Dragon. This is my have fun, day trip bike. I have a shadow for the long stuff.

I guess my main question is can someone point me to where I can download the shop manual.

Also would like to hear your suggestions on how to make bike better.

gpd211

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe its me being new to Yamaha, but Honda has about a 400 page shop manual for every model (tells you step by step how to do everything to the bike). Does Yamaha not have this or am I missing it?

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

I am not sure, as I have only owned Yamaha and Kawasaki, and the owners manual is all that came with them.

Deb

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe its me being new to Yamaha, but Honda has about a 400 page shop manual for every model (tells you step by step how to do everything to the bike). Does Yamaha not have this or am I missing it?

Hey I just realized something the 05 (2005-Service-LIT-11616-18-43.pdf) is a supplementary service and it's only 36 pages

What you need is the LIT-11616-FZ-61 which is 04-06 factory service manual. which is 469 pages

2006-Service-LIT-11616-FZ-61.pdf

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: and please do ask if you're in a bind. You'll get a TON of answers in a hurry. Searching provides a great deal of hits but be sure to use more than three characters. GPS will not work in a search, but GPS* will work! :D

philman

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the new( sept. 08) bike. The best advise I can give, is to practice safe braking techniques. I also went from a vfr to a fz6 and I can tell you the braking experience is totally different. Be especially careful with the rear brake, apply either very light pressure (or no pressure at all) until you get used to it. It can lock up very easily. Have fun but Stay safe.

demilus

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got to ask, which bike have you enjoyed more, the vfr or the fz6? Was your vfr an 800 and was it a vtec? What were the riding experiences like between the two? The reason I'm asking is because I've been looking at vfr800's for quite some time and am thinking about making the switch.
(sorry, thread hijack :rolleyes:)

gpd211

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got to ask, which bike have you enjoyed more, the vfr or the fz6? Was your vfr an 800 and was it a vtec? What were the riding experiences like between the two? The reason I'm asking is because I've been looking at vfr800's for quite some time and am thinking about making the switch.
(sorry, thread hijack :rolleyes:)

The fz is a MUCH lighter bike and is easier to throw around to make it do what you want it to do. The VFR I had was an 800 non vtec. The vfr really didn't start to pull hard till about 8k rpm and red lined at 12k. the fz seems to start pulling much earlier. The engine note of the vfr is more pleasant. The v-4 with gear driven cams. Such a beautiful sound.

I would say for distance the vfr wins hands down. On the trip to Deal's Gap I did 540 miles in a day and still wanted to ride. The most I've done on the fz is about 300 and my knees are killing me.

For me the fz is better. I have the shadow for long distance touring and the fz for playing in the twisties. If you are looking for a sport tourer the vfr is definatly the way to go.

The vfr has linked brakes so changing the fluid is a pain in the a**