Legalize Lane-Splitting?

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I took the following from a link

One barrier to widespread adoption of motorcycles as transportation in the USA is that of practical advantage. In most places, two-wheeled transport offers few advantages over the four-wheeled kind. That's partly because unlike almost every other country on Earth, the practice of "lane-splitting"-riding in between lanes of stopped or slow-moving vehicle traffic-is outlawed in what is allegedly the Home of the Free. That means that in every state but California, not only do motorcyclists have to endure the privations of motorcycle travel, they also have to bump along at the maddeningly slow pace of traffic-snarled trucks and automobiles, even though there is little evidence that the practice of lane-splitting (if done in a safe and reasonable fashion) is particularly dangerous.

So kudos to the Arizona legislature for honoring the Goldwater legacy of personal liberty tempered by individual responsibility with Arizona House Bill 2475. Introduced by Harley-Davidson-riding Representative Jerry Weiers (say "wires," R-District 12), the bill will legalize, for a one-year probationary period beginning January 1, 2011, lane-splitting in stopped traffic. It will only apply in counties with populations greater than 2 million (according to 2006 population estimates, this is just Maricopa county, with the Phoenix-Glendale-Scottsdale megalopolis). The bill sailed through the Transportation committee (which Weiers chairs) and the House Rules committee, and has been read to the State Senate as well. It's looking like there is little opposition to the bill so far, which makes sense: those who lean to the left should like the message of encouraging the lower environmental impact of motorcycle transportation, and those on the right should appreciate the individual-rights angle.

Sadly, the majority of the car-driving public, even in states like California, don't like the idea of lane-splitting. The main reason, judging from comments posted in response to articles on the topic, is jealousy: if I have to be stuck in traffic, you should be too (the "it looks dangerous" argument seems specious, as car drivers as a body show little concern for the safety of motorcyclists). Luckily for Californians, law enforcement is firmly on the side of the lane-splitting argument, as it allows motor officers greater mobility in high-traffic areas. That helps defeat bills every time legislation is advanced to outlaw the practice in the Golden State. That support seems to be present in Arizona as well, so we'll see if another state gets to experiment with legal lane-splitting in 2011. If you live in Arizona, call or write to your legislative representatives. If you live outside AZ, write to or call the AMA (what? You don't belong to the AMA? Call 1-800-AMA-JOIN!) and ask if they support the legislation.

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent post Hoshiko! I'm kinda surprised that Nevada hasn't approved lane splitting. Seems like that state would have already been on board with this. I mean, this was the state that didn't used to even have speed limits! Prostitution, drinking hours, gambling seem natural as part of the Nevada way of thinking; why not lane splitting? Have you even been stuck in Vegas Strip traffic? It's gotta be torture to be on a ride in that area (as well as other backed up streets) and have to just sit behind the barely moving traffic. OMG!

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Sadly, the majority of the car-driving public, even in states like California, don't like the idea of lane-splitting. The main reason, judging from comments posted in response to articles on the topic, is jealousy: if I have to be stuck in traffic, you should be too (the "it looks dangerous" argument seems specious, as car drivers as a body show little concern for the safety of motorcyclists). Luckily for Californians, law enforcement is firmly on the side of the lane-splitting argument, as it allows motor officers greater mobility in high-traffic areas. That helps defeat bills every time legislation is advanced to outlaw the practice in the Golden State. That support seems to be present in Arizona as well, so we'll see if another state gets to experiment with legal lane-splitting in 2011. If you live in Arizona, call or write to your legislative representatives. If you live outside AZ, write to or call the AMA (what? You don't belong to the AMA? Call 1-800-AMA-JOIN!) and ask if they support the legislation.

I don't see this ever catching on. We're moving toward more legislation and less individual freedom...not less legislation and more individual freedom. Like the reasons stated above: Car drivers would hide behind the fact that they claim it is dangerous when the real reason is jealousy. I think the majority of Americans view motorcyclists as outlaws or young kids driving like morons. I think there would be too much controversy surrounding this law. But this is one law I would love to see them "sneak" through or ram through like healthcare. Just my opinion though.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cannot imagine riding a bike and not being able to lane split. I know that we ride for more than being able to whizz through traffic but having to sit in the snarl-up with cars and trucks? Give me a break. I think I would still do it even if it was illegal.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
I cannot imagine riding a bike and not being able to lane split. I know that we ride for more than being able to whizz through traffic but having to sit in the snarl-up with cars and trucks? Give me a break. I think I would still do it even if it was illegal.

I would too, but here in Washington, the fine for lane splitting is 124 dollars, bike can be impounded, and licence (motorcycle portion) can be taken away for up to 6 months. Was told this by a Washington State hwy patrol officer

westgoingzax

I ride a motorcycle
Reaction score
Visit site
That means that in every state but California, not only do motorcyclists have to endure the privations of motorcycle travel, they also have to bump along at the maddeningly slow pace of traffic-snarled trucks and automobiles

One of the main reasons I commute on the bike is because I can move through traffic when things get backed up. It's a beautiful thing! Hopefully it will catch on in Arizona and other states.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope here in my country they politicians never come up with a law avoiding lane splitting, if that happens I would immediately stop commuting on a bike and would use public transportation

no lane splitting makes no sense at all.

Cheers from Colombia

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope here in my country they politicians never come up with a law avoiding lane splitting, if that happens I would immediately stop commuting on a bike and would use public transportation

The politicians could make the law, but are there any police in Colombia to enforce it? Lol, I'm just kidding.

But seriously, I would think Colombia has more important things to worry about than traffic laws. Don't you guys have the highest kidnapping rate in the world?

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
The politicians could make the law, but are there any police in Colombia to enforce it? Lol, I'm just kidding.

But seriously, I would think Colombia has more important things to worry about than traffic laws. Don't you guys have the highest kidnapping rate in the world?

:D:D:D pretty funny joke about the local police ... I couldn't have said it better :D

Kidnapping is a thing of the past believe me, I won't say you every spot on the country is safe, there are parts I wouldn't ever go, but you can go to most parts and stay completely safe, if some local say you don't go to some place ... just don't go.

I live in Medellín, in the past the world capital of drug traffic (thanks to Pablo Escobar and others) and I see everyday a lot of foreigners from USA, Europe, etc, and has been the same when I have taken my bike trips to other departments (for territory division stuff let's say a department is one of your states). Using my primitive english skills (the same ones I use here LOL) I have talked to some of the travelers and they love to be here.

Our beatiful country is not by any mean free of crime, but now is safe to visit and enjoy. So if some day you come here just let me know and will be my pleasure to be your guide, actually if I'm in a really good mood I could let you drive my black fz6 naked with ABS :BLAA:

:thumbup:

Last edited:

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought that this forum was to inform, sorry if I hurt anyone’s feelings by no pasting the link. I actually didn't say "this is what I think about lane splitting"
Next time you guys (the complainers) post anything, please also post where did you learn about it, why, when, from who..........
Funny enough the guys that are always talking about making mods to their bikes to make them faster, are the same guys that gave so much !@#$%^& to the guy who posted a video of fast driving somewhere in south America.

If by sharing something that most of us are interested in I offended someone that was born knowing everything they know. I am sorry.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought that this forum was to inform, sorry if I hurt anyone’s feelings by no pasting the link. I actually didn't say "this is what I think about lane splitting"
Next time you guys (the complainers) post anything, please also post where did you learn about it, why, when, from who..........
Funny enough the guys that are always talking about making mods to their bikes to make them faster, are the same guys that gave so much !@#$%^& to the guy who posted a video of fast driving somewhere in south America.

If by sharing something that most of us are interested in I offended someone that was born knowing everything they know. I am sorry.

lol relax...

A few of these apply here.... like 15 and 20 :BLAA:

11946797392962.jpg

Last edited:

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
Lane splitting is actually a good thing! By letting motorcycles through the non-moving traffic, the lines get shorter, reducing the time cagers have to stand in traffic and wait... Instead of both bikes and cages causing chaos during rush hour, only cages are left, resulting in less traffic jam and shorter lines.