Legal/Title Question

nuud

Reaction score
Visit site
image2.JPG
Doubtfully posting in the right section but maybe someone can give me some advice?

So I Totaled my first FZ July 5th. (Lets all share a moment of silence for Stacy 2007-2014). By August 5th I had found a suitable replacement for Stacy. Meet Oprah. So I drive 60 miles from Miami to Boca Raton Florida to see this beautiful specimen of an FZ. 2009 5k miles and a two bros exhaust. All for the price of three grand. After a test ride I bought it on the spot. Paid in full.

I bought the bike from a small dealer that bought the bike at auction. Its originally a new York bike. And with Taxes and the dealer fees for tax tag and tittle the total came up to 3400.

Now after 6 months Im still rocking the paper temporary tag (very expired) and I have not been provided a title! Im not sure what to do. But I paid the dealer to provide tag tittle and registration.

I dont want to return the bike (As If thats an option!), as it runs beautifully and has not had so much as a hick-up. And I abuse the poor girl.

What are my options as the dealer hasn't given me much other than one replacement paper tag and the run around. Two more weeks, Two more weeks two more weeeeeeeeeeks.

Any advice would be appreciated! Should I involve the authorities or consult an attorney?

Last edited:

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
IDK about florida, but in WI I would contact the State DOT.

My bets are that that the dealer probably didnt do anything wrong, (though they could have). So long as the dealer turned in the title to the state with the title transfer form and registration form, its in the states hands now.

imatt

Not a Junior Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lets assume the worst! Blah Here's how my best friend bought a DR200 with no title and now has full SC registration and SC title.

He bought the bike from a guy for $800 and dude promised that the replacement title would be coming in the mail in about two weeks(Sketchy sounding craigslist deal, but my buddy had the VIN checked before he made the deal). Well, three weeks go by and nothing happens, also the dude won't respond to text or calls. So my buddy does a bunch of research on other bike forums and finds out about the Vermont workaround. Apparently Vermont will allow you to register a vehicle over the phone even if you're out of state. They will really only check to make sure the vehicle has not been reported stolen and such. The details on every step specifically can be read up on with a quick google search. From what I remember he just filled out the need paper work and provided a bill of sale, along with payment of course.

This was done this summer so it shouldn't be like an antiquated process or anything. Also once he got his Vermont plate and paper work, he only waited about 3 weeks before going down to a SC DMV to have it all transferred to South Carolina stuff. Everything went smoothly for him and about a week later he got the SC title in the mail.
wAx1hT4l.jpg

DQ8J4mSl.jpg

xpaVhcbl.jpg

Last edited:

nuud

Reaction score
Visit site
I know there's ways to go about getting the tittle and tag. But this was all supposed to be taken care of per the signed agreement for the "dealer fees". The VIN is clean. For now... I suppose ill have to start considering that ill have to take the loss and contact the New York DMV.

Thank you for the replies Gentlemen!

nuud

Reaction score
Visit site
Also That house seems nice. Im not sure how shady the neighborhood is but keeping the bike in the bedroom might be a bit of a stretch?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If possible, I would contact DMV and see if and when the dealer filed the paperwork.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ +1 on the above.

I do live in Florida and you can get an instant title (for an additional fee of course).

Nowadays, they usually keep the title as an electronic document (especially when financing) or pay a little extra for a hard paper (which is what I have) title (no financing).

In Florida, a paper title being transferred, doesn't even require notary anymore. :(

Its sounds like the guy took your money and didn't do any running to the tag agency.

Do you know if he actually had a clear title in hand? If he didn't have a title, the bike is about useless(can't be registered legally).

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you know if he actually had a clear title in hand? If he didn't have a title, the bike is about useless(can't be registered legally).

Yes it can, in some states. I believe Alabama is one such state. I have read of people getting cars titled (without a title) through an agency, that provides just such a service. It is legal.

If all else fails, the Vermont route sounds like the way to go. VT is the state that does not issue concealed carry permits. If you are not a past convicted felon, you can legally carry a concealed firearm. It seems they take a similar attitude toward vehicle registration. [emoji41]

This space intentionally left blank.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it can, in some states. I believe Alabama is one such state. I have read of people getting cars titled (without a title) through an agency, that provides just such a service. It is legal.

If all else fails, the Vermont route sounds like the way to go. VT is the state that does not issue concealed carry permits. If you are not a past convicted felon, you can legally carry a concealed firearm. It seems they take a similar attitude toward vehicle registration. [emoji41]

This space intentionally left blank.

I was referring to Florida, where he's at. For a MV(car/bike) he needs a title...

imatt

Not a Junior Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also That house seems nice. Im not sure how shady the neighborhood is but keeping the bike in the bedroom might be a bit of a stretch?

Ha! He's on winter break from school until the new year. So she stays in the apartment meanwhile, and he took the cage back home for the holidays. :squid:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Every state has their requirements for issuing a title. For one they will make sure for certain there are no liens on it. I live in New York and found out what a hassle it is to get a title on an out of state bike.

I bought my FZ6 on Ebay from a Texas seller who bought the bike at auction. When the bike was delivered the title had a lien on it. I called the guy and am like WTF bro what did you lie to me about clean title? He produced another document which was supposed to be a lien release but when I applied for a New York title I was informed 10 days later that the bike had been Repo'd in Texas and more paperwork was needed. The only satisfactory paperwork would have been from the original dealer who sold the bike and was 4 hours away from Dallas where the seller lived. All told I got lucky that this guy made phone calls and the original dealer was helpful. It took 2 months to resolve.

I would start with a call to NY state title bureau. Those folks were very helpful to me every time I had to call them.
The information I recorded 5 years ago probably hasn't changed

NY Title Services Bureau:
1-518-486-4714

Open Weekdays, except Wednesdays and state holidays:
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

You will be on hold on average for about 10 minute before reaching someone to talk to. Good luck

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know there's ways to go about getting the tittle and tag. But this was all supposed to be taken care of per the signed agreement for the "dealer fees". The VIN is clean. For now... I suppose ill have to start considering that ill have to take the loss and contact the New York DMV.

Thank you for the replies Gentlemen!

I would definitly make contact with the FL DMV first and ascertain what, if anything the dealer has done.

Then see what the dealer has to say... You paid your fee's, its up them to finish up at their end..

That expired tag can very easily get you a ticket at least. As I re-call, after x # of months (it was 6 months, back in 2006) of that tag being expired, its a CRIMINAL OFFENSE(misd). IE, they can physically arrest you, tow the bike, a day in court and still be told by the judge to get it straightened out...

Please post what you end up doing and how it gets resolved. (good luck BTW)

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Good ol' Vermont - I love my home state. Can't wait to get out of MA and move back. There is good riding here but you gotta go out of your way to find it.

nuud

Reaction score
Visit site
These two hour wait times are ****ing ridiculous. I might need to sue for pain and suffering. Or my money back on the bike parts and labor spent on a bike I cant ride.

nuud

Reaction score
Visit site
I would definitly make contact with the FL DMV first and ascertain what, if anything the dealer has done.

Then see what the dealer has to say... You paid your fee's, its up them to finish up at their end..

That expired tag can very easily get you a ticket at least. As I re-call, after x # of months (it was 6 months, back in 2006) of that tag being expired, its a CRIMINAL OFFENSE(misd). IE, they can physically arrest you, tow the bike, a day in court and still be told by the judge to get it straightened out...

Please post what you end up doing and how it gets resolved. (good luck BTW)

So far all i know is that the last time the bike was titled was in 2011. Also here in FL its considered criminal after the paper tag is expired 30 days. I learned this when I got pulled over.

nuud

Reaction score
Visit site
Did the dealer have anything to say? As in WTF??

Update: After being on hold for around 3 hours (two seperate calls) I was notified by the Florida DMV that because the bike has never been titled in Florida they can do nothing for me because they have zero documentation on the bike. I was also notified that without the title ever being in my name and not having a physical signed title to transfer the NY office will not issue me a title, and that I must go through the seller (in this case a FL dealership that bought the bike at auction from new York) to get the title. Ill be meeting with my attourney tomorrow to discuss what I can do to get my money back for the bike and money invested(tires, battery, labor, misc.).

Ive really fallen in love with Oprah though. I dont want to give her up but whats the point in having a bike I cant ride!? I live in Florida and can ride year round but cant ride in prime bike season :mad: