Lecturing a cop

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last night I had a good discussion with my next door neighbor, an Ogden police officer, really nice guy, beautiful wife and three kids in high school. He referred to his Yamaha Star in the past tense, I said "Wait, wat?!?" and learned he and his wife were victims of another inattentive left-hand turner. His bike, a Yamaha Star, '07 like my Fizzer (we actually bought our bikes within a couple weeks of each other) was totalled.
They were damn, damn lucky. I always cringed as they always rode together with NO gear, not even helmets. He had won the Ogden PD Riding Challenge two years in a row, a fantastic rider, but that means nothing against a room-temperature-IQ driver in a cage. He had no room to maneuver, hit both brakes as hard as possible and hit the cage. He cracked a couple ribs against the car rear-view mirror, his wife flew over the top (no helmet, shorts, and flipflops) and was just bruised up.
This afternoon I saw his wife and spoke with her too. She is scared and refuses to ride again (she seems willing to let him have another bike). She actually said she thought about not having a helmet on as she was flying through the air.
Damn. I'm so happy they're both relatively OK, but still feel bad about the whole thing.

Be careful, folks.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You should tell your friend who is a LEO that wearing all the proper safety gear while on the bike is equivalent to a police officer wearing his protective vest. As far as the left hand turns by the cage, it's the riders responsibility to identify and anticipate. He needs to pay attention!

Every rider begins with an empty bag of experience and a full bag of luck. It's the riders responsibility to fill up that bag of experience without using up all their luck. By taking a formal motorcycle training course every couple of years, and practicing your basic riding fundamentals such as emergency braking, swerving, etc on a regular basis while wearing all your safety gear will help all riders keep their bag of luck to last them a lifetime.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=919]lytehouse[/MENTION]: as much as an extreme introvert can give to a cop, yeah.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to assume you've never had a cage turn left in front of you, it can be as sudden as a deer running in front of you. Sadly I'm experienced in both cases. It's the rider's responsibility? Are you serious?!

Serzedo

Reaction score
www.mototurismoadois.pt.vu
On January we had a crash... a lady thought it was fine to jump the STOP sign and hit us, the gear made it possible to come out almost good (but my feet still hurts), we were lucky and were riding only at 30 km/h.

ATGATT!

"V"

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to assume you've never had a cage turn left in front of you, it can be as sudden as a deer running in front of you. Sadly I'm experienced in both cases. It's the rider's responsibility? Are you serious?!

Left hander, not to a point that I felt that I was ever in great danger. Riders must know How, Where and What to look for and then anticipate, especially around intersections or any entry or exit points. You need the ability to scan the roadway. Some may have the ability to do it better than others. As far as wildlife, there is nothing you can do since they are wildlife, they are unpredictable. They can pop out of the bushes. Wildlife is my #1 fear, not the cars.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure wildlife are not the only unpredictable life-form. But you're right about scanning for possible hazards. 100% attention and awareness is our only hope for survival. It's a mean world out there.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How, Where and What to look for and then anticipate, especially around intersections or any entry or exit points. You need the ability to scan the roadway. Some may have the ability to do it better than others. .

Complacency is also something that we all need to be constantly aware of. I ride the same route in and out of work everyday and I am aware of the roads that frequently have traffic turning into or coming from. But this morning there was a car that had plenty of room to turn off my roadway and I'm muttering into my helmet Why? Why? there was no pedestrian or kid on a scooter just a driver unaware of their vehicle dimensions- (kind of like the wildlife, in a situation where anything is possible) and I realised I needed to demonstrate some patience and not take for granted that I think I know whats going to happen at each intersection.
we live and learn