Sucidal Deer takes out my FJR and almost me.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
This is from my report on the FZ1 sister site
On Sunday Sept. 16, I met Dustin (a great guy from the FZ1 forum) in Oregon along the Columbia river for dinner and route planning of next days ride to Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Rainer in Washington state. After a good meal and conversation we retired to our rooms with a 8am launch time Monday morning.

Dustin was all ready to go when I loaded up the FJR for a great day of riding. It was a cool morning but riding along the Columbia river is always scenic. Sorry for the large pictures, my photobucket is not very happy and won't let me resize.

IMG_3673_zps6bdd7cb6.jpg

Once we reached Carson, Wa. it was time to turn north toward Mt. St. Helens on Wind River Rd. Climbing up out of the river gorge was twisty and fun but soon straightened out in the forest.

IMG_1056_zps0900f768.jpg

Here's my beloved steed in full tour mode, owned the Feejeer for 8 years and was about to pass the 90k mile mark on this day.

About 30 miles up the road turned to gravel. Dustin said his GPS indicated we missed a turn a few miles back so I told Dustin to lead with his GPS and off we got to find our turn. I had been leading with speeds around 60-65 but Dustin was riding about 55-good thing because all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I see a yearling in full speed less than a foot from the front of the bike. BAM I nailed that forest rat full on, it all happened is less than a second with no time to react. The bike's front end was washed out from the deer's momentum and both the bike and I went down on the left side. I remember every part of the crash in milliseconds -amazing how fast our brain can work.

After the initial impact I am sliding down the road feet first and thought I'd better go loose like a drunk. I know this helped reduce the injuries and at that point I did tumble a bit before coming to rest on the road.

IMG_3686_zpsd72ff639.jpg

If you look above the bike you can see my helmet and glove, this is where I stopped sliding on the road. As I stopped I remember seeing a huge cloud of dust from the front tire as it dragged along the edge of the pavement. By this time Dustin had seen the dust in his mirror and came back to assist me. I laid there a few minutes and could move toes and fingers so with his help I was on my feet. Thank you God!

IMG_3694_zpsc457b710.jpg

At this point Dustin rode over the hill to see if we had cell reception and I hobbled around to take some pictures. This picture shows that it may have been best that I didn't have time to react as I may have caused the bike and me to slide into the rocks on the right- that would not have been very good for me.

IMG_3688_zpsdfb601ac.jpg

Hunting without a license.

IMG_3700_zpsa356ab47.jpg

A self portrait, the look of adrenaline and sheer joy to be alive.

IMG_3690_zps7a7dbd1a.jpg

If you look close you can see the dent in the front rim on the right side. Both front and back had dents on the right sides of the rims but the bike only slid on it's left side so I must conclude these dents came from the impact with the forest rats bones-wow.

At this point Dustin returns but no cell signal when a couple from Canada (Cannucks are the nicest people) stopped and insisted on driving me to the nearest hospital. Dustin helped them load my gear into their pickup and he followed me into town. We stopped at a market to ask where the nearest medical clinic was when a cute off duty emt came out. She started to give me a check when the local ambulance and sheriff arrived. It was determined I was only bruised and sore but no broken bones or head injuries, just very sore ribs on my left side and swollen ankles. Thank God again! Plus I am sure the outcome would have been much worse with out my Kevlar ZIP together jacket and pants along with a Schubreth helmet, racer glovers and BMW boots. ATGATT folks-it will save you butt!

The Skamania County sheriff with Dustin following took me to a really nice lodge where they helped me to my room. Walking was really tough with two beat up ankles but I made it. At this point I was doing ok and needed to start making calls (the one to my wife was the hardest) to secure a way home.
I forgot to mention a guy on a BMW RT had come upon my wreck and followed us to town to be sure I was taken care of. He also offered to help in anyway so I contacted him later that day and he agreed to pick me up the next morning and run me by the towing yard to get a few things off the bike. He also gave me a ride to the Portland airport where I rented a car to haul all my stuff home. People are so good!

IMG_3708_zpsf99ebaf9.jpg

Here's my beloved steed showing the real damage from the impact and slide. I had to take a moment to thank Yamaha for such a great machine, it never failed me through 8 years, 10 states and almost 90k miles. It was very sad to see it like this but I don't want it back.

Again I must say THANK YOU to Dustin. He was cool and calm when I needed it the most.
Dustin, you will always be a true friend! Oh ya, nice 919 you have too.

I drove home Tuesday and after a long embrace with my loving wife I was very sore but so thankful to be where I was due to good quality gear and some help from above.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just glad you're okay Doug. See you when you come down and we ride again this winter as always!

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are OK. I think about deer every time I'm on the bike and pass the spot where I hit one a few years back in my truck. I remember what a jolt it was in a mid sized pickup, hate to feel that on a bike. Whats the next ride going to be? Another Yamaha?

mikexup

Reaction score
Visit site
Been just over a year since I hit one. Almost the same scenario as far as happening so fast there's no time to react, and I was blessed enough that I didn't go down. I glancing blow to the bike I was riding, but still over 3 grand in damage. Glad your ok.

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're in one piece and relatively unscathed! I'm not gonna lie, I grinned and my heart filled with joy when I saw the pic of the little furry punk.

If there's one positive from this whole story, it's the fact that it's time to shop for a new bike which is always fun! So what bikes are you looking at?? A new FJR or something different?

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Happy cause he's here to tell us about I'm sure!!

And we're all glad you are :hug:

Hope the aches & bruises heal up fast

Thanks Brenda, you nailed it. Soooo happy to be alive!!

With a 55mph take down to walk away only sore and bruised at 56 years old? Lots of help from above and all the gear baby!!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're in one piece and relatively unscathed! I'm not gonna lie, I grinned and my heart filled with joy when I saw the pic of the little furry punk.
A new FJR or something different?

Thanks, that's how I felt too. Darn little punk almost took ME out.

I do have my KTM supermoto T which can handle local and semi long distance.

As much as I loved my FJR I will look at slightly used Gold Wings :eek: I have rented a Wing twice and they make a better two up / long distance couch. Actually they handle quite well :thumbup:, but no hurry on that front.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got back from there today /Wind River Rd. / and see this, damn, Glad you're in Good Shape and Spirits! A great outlook for such a loss. Sorry, but thankful you're well and sharing.

Rats, best served as jerky sticks!

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, that's some scary stuff. :eek:

Speaking from experience, incidents like this certainly puts life in perspective.
I'm sorry about you're bike but I'm thankful that you escaped without serious injury.

Frick'n deer...:Flip:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Poor bike, glad your ok. Who got the venison?
Neil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
These 3 guys drove up after I had help. One of them picked up the little rat but threw him back. Wasn't much left of the little sucker.